U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 03:42 PM

23,920 posts, read 8,346,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Doctors today are pill salesmen/women. They get some pretty nice perks for prescribing x number of a medication. Both doctors and big pharma are well aware that they don't make money on healthy people or dead people. They have a pill for everything and they want you to take it. They don't care about the side effects, dementia, alzheimer's, suicide, etc., just keep buying those meds.

Soon I expect big pharma to produce a zombie pill that will keep you going even after you die. That is, as long as you keep buying that zombie pill.

Gave me a laugh, but it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
You often claim your opinion as fact, despite the fact that you can never support any of your statements with links to reputable sites. So why is it different when someone posts a claim opposite yours?

And, yes, supplements can, and do, interact with other supplements and with prescribed medications. Supplements are useful only when a person is known to be deficient in that particular supplement. Taking a supplement when one does not need it is wasteful at best and dangerous at worst.

I'm seeing many TV ads for supplements. Since you post that you dont have TV any more, you arent aware of these TV ads -- but they're there, they're becoming more and more frequent and they're looking more and more like the TV ads for what you call "big pharma".

No I don't have a TV anymore and don't recall seeing tv ads for supps....would you mention a couple you've seen....maybe calcium over the years but I trying to think on this one.

On deficiency, I'm not deficient in grape seed extract, but thanks to it, I've thrown drugs away for allergies and sinus issues....so my body is now drug deficient in sudafed and drixoral.

It's stunning that those who are so against supplements, talk like they know so much...

Old 03-02-2018, 03:52 PM

2,949 posts, read 3,065,761 times
As I posted in another forum, "Don't worry about old age, it doesn't last !"

My doctor actually tells me that I'm in great shape for 75.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:56 PM

8,759 posts, read 10,877,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
100's die from supplements...do you have those facts. Your trainer was one case. Your certain death came from supplements? ummmm

How many millions die from drug interactions yearly...there are many numbers thrown around out there. I'll take my chances with supps any day....so far for 25 yrs of taking them no death here, and no toxic drug side effects. And they do have a LOT of regulation that does go on....it's a huge industry and pharma drugs even huger..maybe but worldwide, herbals are HUGE.

But I can name the drug side effects I've dealt with starting back in the 80's and a trip to the ER from a pharma drug side effect, stomach ulcer. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I've seen more get sick from taking too many medications. We have a doctor some of our residents use and he doesn't believe in too many meds for especially older people. He takes them off most as they age and just keeps the essentials.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:56 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,653,453 times
Last thing I need a doctor telling me I hurt because Iím old, I need a doctor who can help determine if itís an issue or just age, if itís age related fine then Iíll work with it, but if itís something that is repairable or an underlying disease I need to know.
How sexist stereotypes mean doctors ignore women's pain | The Independent

My friend needed hip surgery but her pain was ignored and dismissed and by the time they did it her ligaments were so torn the surgeon was shocked she could survive a day walking.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:02 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,653,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I don't think ALL doctors are pill pushers, I think that is a bit unfair. I also think that they deal with people who demand a pill for everything (thanks in part to Big Pharma advertising). It took me quite a while to find the PA I have now, who is young enough to be up-to-date on meds and tests but smart enough to know that they are not the answer to every issue.

I rarely came across a doctor pushing pills and when offered I see if I can do without first except this current cancer med, which I will be taking religiously for another two years despite the horrible side effects. Thank goodness for tests otherwise they never have found my cancer until it was too late.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I've seen more get sick from taking too many medications. We have a doctor some of our residents use and he doesn't believe in too many meds for especially older people. He takes them off most as they age and just keeps the essentials.
Well, I haven't met one that doesn't have a long list of side effects....perhaps my thyroid medication doesn't have a list and I've not had any....even had side effects with blood pressure meds.

When I was in the rehabs and dealing with horrific constipation from the opiods, they gave me a drug for constipation...they made money on this of course,,,I had friends bring me bottles of magnesium in as I knew what I needed...

Then nausea from opiods and they wanted to give me a script for nausea meds and I said NO...had a friend bring me a baggy of baking soda that that did the trick. I know what works and it's not drugs in MOST cases.. They offer one side effect after another and a vicious cycle of more drugs.

It's truly amazing when you really think about all the money made by those involved in all the drugs and all the side effects we get from them. And we're all paying.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-02-2018 at 04:20 PM..

Old 03-02-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I rarely came across a doctor pushing pills and when offered I see if I can do without first except this current cancer med, which I will be taking religiously for another two years despite the horrible side effects. Thank goodness for tests otherwise they never have found my cancer until it was too late.
I've known some taking cancer meds and some make it and others....that's is the major reason I take the powerful antioxidant I take is because we were told back in 1995, "it may prevent cancer(s)"....I've talked about it around here till blue in the face but mostly ignored...I talk things up when I have a strong belief.

I could have been chased away when I arrived here.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:22 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,026,287 times
Default Mom just turned 90 as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
When my mother was 90, she came home from the doctor, and he had prescribed this and treated that and ordered tests for those. Mom barked at him "I'm not sick -- I'm old!"

Do your doctors act like they know the difference, and just let you peacefully settle into your old age, and leave you alone to get used to your decline without false hopes and proimises?
She got booted out of the office for being too healthy. Doctor was busy with other patients!
We do know her sisters boogie along and then in the last two years seem to drop off fast.
Hope the doctors sees this coming, especially since we've told him!

Old 03-02-2018, 04:23 PM

28,292 posts, read 39,973,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Grape seed extract will cure that. Honest!

And on a serious note I'm glad to hear it was found and you are recovering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or