Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 12:05 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,331,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
When my mother was 90, she came home from the doctor, and he had prescribed this and treated that and ordered tests for those. Mom barked at him "I'm not sick -- I'm old!"

Do your doctors act like they know the difference, and just let you peacefully settle into your old age, and leave you alone to get used to your decline without false hopes and proimises?
If I'm alive past 85, I will quit going to doctors. What's the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 12:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,350,352 times
I consider what doctors tell me is advice. I don’t have to follow it. I always ask what happens if I don’t, what happens if I do. I also do my own research. The older I get, the less I take anybody’s word for anything.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:19 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,116,257 times
While I agree that you want your Dr. to treat you as a person and to listen to you. The saying I'm not sick I'm old. Is not always the case.
My husband at about 60 had several problems that one could say, you are just getting old, but in fact he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. I am 65 now and I feel very old, but I have heart disease, diabetes,also Fibromyalgia and some other neurological disease that they have not put a name to yet.

So sometimes you need to let the Drs. do their tests, and sometimes is it not just age.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:33 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,366,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

I've been my own doctor for the last 25 yrs when I started working with supplements....to supplement what my body is depleting...so simple to understand this...and yet many naysayers argue and attack supplements.

Meanwhile hundreds die every year from supplements and bad interactions between those and other drugs. Healthy people like a personal trainer I had a few years back who was a gym owner and triathlete. Died in her 30's from supplements (both my mom and wife were in the medical community of that small Wyoming town when it happened, both are doctors).

I take some myself, but they are wholly unregulated. They can contain Nearly anything, they *DO* have interactions and can cause allergy issues (which is what happened to my personal trainer, suffered anaphylactic shock from something in a new brand of "organic" supplement). Her death was an extreme case, yet not the only death of an otherwise Very healthy person. It's worth being cautious about... they aren't a "sure thing" nor a guaranteed safe bet.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:36 PM

32,813 posts, read 36,084,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Good for your mom

I always say - think of your body as a motor vehicle. You don't expect a car to last forever. It will slowly break down - starting small, then the engine finally blows!
My dad loved that analogy.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:39 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,045,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
My folks are dealing with this right now (just shy of 80). They now "interview" potential doctors and tell them things like "I'm paying you to Advise me, but I will make the final decision" and "I'm a person first and expect you to consider what's right for me. Do not treat me as the problem I'm having with a 'cure at all costs' mentality".

I see a GP about once every 5 years, and have moved/changed states more frequently than that so haven't had the same one twice. But when it becomes more frequent, I'll be doing the same. Better to spend time finding someone who's comparable with your medical ideology than suffer being treated as just your symptoms. I've seen *WAY* too many people who lost substantial Quality of life just to gain a little more Quantity. I'd rather 3 months of being able to do things and then death over 3 years of no energy/bed ridden and then death. Quality is far more important than Quantity to me.
Boy! I wish my wife understood this thinking. Darn doctors are gonna kill me someday with "test".

Old 03-02-2018, 12:44 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,619,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Meanwhile hundreds die every year from supplements and bad interactions between those and other drugs. Healthy people like a personal trainer I had a few years back who was a gym owner and triathlete. Died in her 30's from supplements (both my mom and wife were in the medical community of that small Wyoming town when it happened, both are doctors).

I take some myself, but they are wholly unregulated. They can contain Nearly anything, they *DO* have interactions and can cause allergy issues (which is what happened to my personal trainer, suffered anaphylactic shock from something in a new brand of "organic" supplement). Her death was an extreme case, yet not the only death of an otherwise Very healthy person. It's worth being cautious about... they aren't a "sure thing" nor a guaranteed safe bet.
100's die from supplements...do you have those facts. Your trainer was one case. Your certain death came from supplements? ummmm

How many millions die from drug interactions yearly...there are many numbers thrown around out there. I'll take my chances with supps any day....so far for 25 yrs of taking them no death here, and no toxic drug side effects. And they do have a LOT of regulation that does go on....it's a huge industry and pharma drugs even huger..maybe but worldwide, herbals are HUGE.

But I can name the drug side effects I've dealt with starting back in the 80's and a trip to the ER from a pharma drug side effect, stomach ulcer. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-02-2018 at 01:10 PM..

Old 03-02-2018, 02:14 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,666,269 times
Doctors today are pill salesmen/women. They get some pretty nice perks for prescribing x number of a medication. Both doctors and big pharma are well aware that they don't make money on healthy people or dead people. They have a pill for everything and they want you to take it. They don't care about the side effects, dementia, alzheimer's, suicide, etc., just keep buying those meds.

Soon I expect big pharma to produce a zombie pill that will keep you going even after you die. That is, as long as you keep buying that zombie pill.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:34 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,762,265 times
I don't think ALL doctors are pill pushers, I think that is a bit unfair. I also think that they deal with people who demand a pill for everything (thanks in part to Big Pharma advertising). It took me quite a while to find the PA I have now, who is young enough to be up-to-date on meds and tests but smart enough to know that they are not the answer to every issue.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:30 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,330,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
100's die from supplements...do you have those facts. Your trainer was one case. Your certain death came from supplements?...

You often claim your opinion as fact, despite the fact that you can never support any of your statements with links to reputable sites. So why is it different when someone posts a claim opposite yours?

And, yes, supplements can, and do, interact with other supplements and with prescribed medications. Supplements are useful only when a person is known to be deficient in that particular supplement. Taking a supplement when one does not need it is wasteful at best and dangerous at worst.

I'm seeing many TV ads for supplements. Since you post that you dont have TV any more, you arent aware of these TV ads -- but they're there, they're becoming more and more frequent and they're looking more and more like the TV ads for what you call "big pharma".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement