U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 01:40 PM

171 posts, read 107,445 times

Advertisements

I have used VRBO and years ago it used to be just by owners and no hidden fees. Now when I have tried to use it most of the time it is through rental agencies and there are cleaning services, taxes, admin fees, insurance, linen fees, etc. that can add hundreds. I always look for them just by owner where one price is what you pay. My experience has always been good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 01:40 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,053,473 times
The reviews don't really mean much. I've had owners cajole me into a flowery review. I'd look for gaps between reviews. Sometimes silence speaks.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:46 PM

1,320 posts, read 643,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
OP, are you trying to save money by using VRBO? Do make sure you check the hidden fees if looking at VRBO rentals. They can be substantial, quite a bit more than hotel rates. Some people are taking their entire family so it works out for them but for us as a couple, it's too much.

In fact, I find VRBO properties to be so expensive because of hidden fees that I just book a mid-priced business hotel that has free breakfast, like Hampton Inn. It probably helps that my van has a fully-equipped galley where I can prepare other meals, so no need to eat out. But many hotel rooms these days have refrigerators and microwaves.
Not trying to save money. Want to live in a neighborhood setting to get a feel for living there. Don`t want to feel like we are on vacation

Old 03-04-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newred5 View Post
VRBO is Vacation rentals by Owner. We have used them many times and are quite comfortable using them . The pics may be a bit old on some but try to use on that has extensive reviews .
Where is Florida you looking at ,mwe live on the treasue coast and can try to help answer your questions if your looking this way ?
We are checking out South Florida first, Venice,Naples.Port Charlotte, but are open to suggestions. We would like to stay away from central Florida, because of all the sinkholes. How is the treasure coast for retirees? How is the health care and hospitals. We are interested in communities with activities . Thanks!

Old 03-04-2018, 03:45 PM

151 posts, read 70,946 times
OP, you may want to ask the retirement communities you're interested in if they have units/homes available to rent for a short stay so you can get a feel for the neighbourhood. I know quite a few communities in the Phoenix area have places available for that very purpose. Just a thought.

As for VRBO, we've used them for years, and now prefer Airbnb because the pricing seems more straightforward. We've had pretty much great experiences across the board, except one time in a basement suite in Vancouver, when the owners sat on their deck above us and played a sitar until the wee hours of the morning! LOL, an unexpected development! The place was still nice, though.

It's hard to go wrong with a listing that has a ton of glowing reviews of both the place and the hosts. Just as an FYI, on Airbnb, neither host nor guest sees the other's review until they've already submitted their own, so there's no need to wonder if a good review has been extorted out a guest. Good luck!

Old 03-04-2018, 03:47 PM

28,231 posts, read 39,872,938 times
We stayed at one in Sun City Anthem for three weeks. It was originally the model home. All the pictures were screwed to the walls, lol. We were very happy with the house, it's condition, and the terms for rental. You should ask about cleaning. We saved $200 by cleaning before they came to do the inspection.

Last time I searched it was no longer available. I don't know if the HOA stopped them or they did themselves.

If you are looking at over 55 and haven't found this site yet it's a good one.

https://www.55places.com/

Old 03-04-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We stayed at one in Sun City Anthem for three weeks. It was originally the model home. All the pictures were screwed to the walls, lol. We were very happy with the house, it's condition, and the terms for rental. You should ask about cleaning. We saved $200 by cleaning before they came to do the inspection.

Last time I searched it was no longer available. I don't know if the HOA stopped them or they did themselves.

If you are looking at over 55 and haven't found this site yet it's a good one.

https://www.55places.com/
I know the communities by heart...LOL.....great site....Thanks

Old 03-04-2018, 05:31 PM

4,691 posts, read 2,541,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marid4061 View Post
I have used VRBO and years ago it used to be just by owners and no hidden fees. Now when I have tried to use it most of the time it is through rental agencies and there are cleaning services, taxes, admin fees, insurance, linen fees, etc. that can add hundreds. I always look for them just by owner where one price is what you pay. My experience has always been good.
I'm with you. I prefer to deal direct with owners;however, most rentals nowadays seem to more "organized' by companies such as Airbnb and others and incur more charges and more rules. The owners are often "at arm's length."

In a 55+ community in Santa Rosa, we called a real estate agent who gave us the names and numbers of some people who rent out their place short term. We stayed in a furnished house that was immaculate and dealt entirely with the owner. We paid the owners in cash once there, at the end of the stay. No taxes, no fees, no deposits. It was like a hotel stay in that regard. It's very hard to find a short stay furnished home in a community like that, though.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:08 PM

1,288 posts, read 1,747,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
We are checking out South Florida first, Venice,Naples.Port Charlotte, but are open to suggestions. We would like to stay away from central Florida, because of all the sinkholes. How is the treasure coast for retirees? How is the health care and hospitals. We are interested in communities with activities . Thanks!
We've found the treasure coast very nice , retired here from Western NY . Not sure about 55 and over communities but look into Kings Isle in Port St Lucie

Old 03-04-2018, 11:13 PM

1,008 posts, read 922,529 times
VRBO is YMMV. (Your mileage may vary.)

I only used it because we needed 3 bedrooms for the family. First time, the unit was great but someone clearly smoked there before our arrival. It spoiled our entire vacation. Imagine waking up and the first thing you feel is the stench of tobacco smoke. The rental company did not reply. The owners replied but basically did not believe us. No apologies from anyone.

Second time, the unit had a very noisy AC and master bedroom was facing the street with an extremely bright streetlight. Had to sleep with eye mask and ear plugs.

If this was a horel, at least we could just move to another room or had some kind of recourse. With VRBO you're stuck with your rental. You might be lucky and it'll be fine.

When we don't need multiple bedrooms, I prefer to stay at a hotel. As others correctly noted, with all the fees added VRBO gets expensive quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement