U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:49 AM

452 posts, read 1,531,166 times

Advertisements

It depends on how you define the word.

When hubby "retires" from the post office, he'll get his pension and his pin and his fare-thee-well speech from management (short and sweet) and a catered party maybe.... and when people ask...he'll say..yes..I'm retired.

BUT, he'll be bored to death after a while...so he'll find something to do of interest that pays a little bit and still leave time for FISHING and some gardening and honey-dos. But, he's still retired "from the post office". And proudly so. He's putting in his years there now and it isn't like the movies portray....the postman bringing the mail as Mr. so-and-so walks out the door at seven in the morning. All those long morning hours of standing on your feet, feeding paper into cubby holes while management cracks the whip.... OH YEAH... he'll be very happy to say "I'm retired after 43 years with the United States Postal Service." And he'll be in good company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 08:44 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,548,322 times
I took an early retirement at 55 from Volkswagen with 60% of my pay. I stayed home for over a year then went to work for Manpower at Abbott Labs. I found 55 too young to be home and also could not save for bigger trips so back to work.

I worked for 4 years (40 hrs) until I was 60 really planned on 62 but things in NE Illinois were not great (my particular area) so I moved to Wisconsin last fall. Financially not the best idea would have been better to wait until 62 but I just wanted out. I'm not working now probably should be but realize finding a job would be difficult.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:26 AM

452 posts, read 1,531,166 times
We have the Area Agency on Aging here that helps seniors find jobs suitable to our talents and abilities. I haven't used them yet, but many have and it's always a good place to start.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:40 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,591 times
Contrary to what some of those news programs say about people WANTING to work in their elder years, I think lots of us just will have to work, if we can, healthwise.

I know people where I work who are in their 70's, and certainly many in their 60's. I assume I'll have to work at least a PT job when "retirement" time comes. It's a different world now, and retirement is not like our parents'.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:29 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,487,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
The media is full of stories about all the people who are retired and still work 40 hours a week. I have never met anyone over 70 who is working a full time job. In fact I see very few people who are over 60 working. I wonder if these are just stories to attempt a form of social engineering and an effort to fill a 24/7 news cycle. I doubt there are many employers who want to fill their open jobs with 70 year olds anyway. How many of you are working full time in retirement and do you know anyone who is working over 40 hours a week and collecting social security also?
I work part time approx 25 hours a week, I am 58 and retired. The majority of people where I work are retired and older than I am. Most of these people are in their late 60's to early 80's and many of them are working full time. I don't understand it, and I don't encourage it, but I feel most of them have not admitted to themselves that they have to work all these hours. I know for a fact several cannot live off their social security and could not pay for their meds without all these hours. This is a minimum wage job since really how many employers are going to hire us as we get older. I don't know about other jobs retirees work at but I know about this one. This one will take advantage of the fact they hire large amounts of retirees for minimum wage and know a number can't pay for meds without it, Therefore they will never give more than minimum wage.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
I actually see alot of people taking early retiremant and then going to work for another employer making much better money.I also see many going into business for themselves.This kind of double dipping is getting pretty common how days.Most of these have like twenty years and qualify or are allowed to vest their retiremant at the time.I have a friend I saw last nite that retired a year ago that is going to work over seas for a american company and they are paying all expenses except for food and paying him $9,000 a month. He just couldn't pass it up he said when offered the job.Fuuny thing is he was contacted after a suggestion from his former employer to this one.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,717 times
I am currently working 35hrs. a week and collecting s.s.. I took an early retirement so I can get the most of what I contributied.I work with 2 other men who are also retired,collecting and working. I guess it just depends on your location and what skills you have. Wm. Salz active in Tulsa

Old 04-11-2008, 06:07 PM

6,124 posts, read 9,081,096 times
I too am semi retired but still work 20 hours a week at the same job. I work for the state as a case manager and we have over 150 people in our office. One of them is a little lady, age 83, that we call "Mom". She retired from the state, got bored at home and missed the people, so she came back to work. She works 40 hours a week. She gets her SS, her pension and her full time salary. She passes out the faxes, the mail, and helps on the switchboard. She has alot of energy. I think that's the key. Energy and vitamins!!

Old 04-11-2008, 06:16 PM

738 posts, read 644,044 times
Working full time in retirement. . . .something about that statement seems to be an oxymoron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or