U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 10:26 AM

20,625 posts, read 16,673,422 times

Advertisements

OP I want to add as well, that very recent bankruptcy might make it quite difficult to find a rental, even with steady, dependable income. I have a friend right now who makes very good money in a construction trade who is living in a motel because his credit is poor and no one will rent to him. I would look into your options regarding this before any major moves.

Personally, I'd do the snowbird thing if possible. Save up so you can pay upfront if need be for a 3 month rental and head down then. There are even services now which have drivers to drive your car to your winter destination, you fly and it's there when you get there.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:31 AM

675 posts, read 841,218 times
I just rented to a young women, mid 30ís with 2 dogs and bad credit. She was completely up front with me. I liked her and decided to take a chance. I also met her parents when she came to look at the place and I liked them a lot. Figured she ran into some difficulty but trying to get on with her life. She has a FT job (verified). Some people do give those with pets and bad credit a chance. I will let the board here know if Iíve made a mistake. For now, all seems well!

Old 03-06-2018, 11:32 AM

13,325 posts, read 25,586,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Not all southern shelters are Medieval.

Western Carolina is very pet friendly.
Sorry. I am in touch with fosters in GA and have adopted from some pretty tough situations. I think an attitude of animals not being "family members" in the general population is more dominant in Southern states. I know the shelter workers are doing the best they can.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:26 PM

14,268 posts, read 44,963,902 times
OP, you know I am not really a fan of New York - to my mind, too expensive for what you get, the physical climate is not appealing to me. You could move to almost any other state and your tax burden would go down.

Classically, New Yorkers go south on I-95, some all the way to Florida, others stop part way down the coast. Several people on this board seem to be well satisfied with the Carolinas, others like Florida.

As a cat guy, though, I would say you ought to consider taking your kitties with you if/when you move.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:34 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,948,102 times
I haven't read the entire thread, just the first few. I am approaching 70 very quickly. We moved to TN when my husband retired - 5 years ago. We bought our house on-line; never saw it in person until after the closing. We hadn't even visited the area - ever. I'd gone to NE TN for college for 2 years before moving back to the northeast. We did our research and decided to take the plunge. We figured out the max we could pay, allowed for the oops factor and bought for less than 1/2 of what we thought we could afford.

It isn't perfect, but it's working out quite well. First, I adapt well to new places - my husband isn't a social bird and he adapts to where ever I am. We had a back-up plan. If we hate it, we sell/rent out the house, and move. We don't hate it, we are getting the house to where we want it to be.

Our only issue with where we live is the attitude towards animals. When we moved here, we had 2 cats. One of those has passed, but we now have 6 cats and 2 big dogs. We have had no fewer than 6, probably closer to 10, animals just appear here and hope it would be home. I was able to rehome most of those but 1 has been here for 3 years - a big and very old coonhound - best guess is over 20 yrs. He makes us laugh but took him a year to trust us enough to talk to us. He has barked exactly 2 times alerting us to danger for our animals.

We live in the country - and I had never lived outside of a major metropolitan area before moving here. It's been a learning experience and I believe it's keeping me young. No opportunity to slow down or cave. We now have planted peach trees, grown sweet taters, yanked up some "wild carrots" and had my hands turn into itching, swollen, painful blobs, and watched my dog attack a snake before it got to me. I've learned about forget-me-nots and how the juice is healing, started canning, and learned how to make BBQ pork, southern style.

Brightdoglover is absolutely right about the southern state's attitudes towards animals. It's sad.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:21 PM

14,424 posts, read 7,939,946 times
Dear one, happiness comes from within first. Joy is around every corner if you look for it. We have a great life here, yes it's the same street for over 20 years. I have so many close ties here and it's unimaginable for me to think of leaving those ties now. I was in your shoes when I was a workaholic and ready to jump off of a cliff. I think the change I was really looking for was something from within. I stopped being a workaholic and finally learned to live outside of that continuous loop of make money, make money. It was never enough and that turned into another form of torment.

Maybe what you're craving is adventure? Take a trip somewhere for a month. If you don't miss home, you have your answer. By all means move some place that makes you happy.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:59 PM

4,685 posts, read 3,256,586 times
To the miserable person who left that nasty note in remarks.

My, aren't you a nice person? So compassionate, so understanding.

I am so glad you didn't leave your name (what a coward). You are despicable. Judging without knowing anything but what you have read here.

Ignorant personified.

Tsk tsk.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:08 PM

16,370 posts, read 10,358,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
To the miserable person who left that nasty note in remarks.

My, aren't you a nice person? So compassionate, so understanding.

I am so glad you didn't leave your name (what a coward). You are despicable. Judging without knowing anything but what you have read here.

Ignorant personified.

Tsk tsk.
I believe Mods can tell who left it and can take appropriate action. report it.

just checked. VTsnowbird is the retirement forum mod.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:10 PM

4,685 posts, read 3,256,586 times
^^^^^^ Thank you PAhippo.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:37 PM

13,325 posts, read 25,586,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I believe Mods can tell who left it and can take appropriate action. report it.
just checked. VTsnowbird is the retirement forum mod.
So is Volosong, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or