Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 02:40 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times

Advertisements

Has anyone said, "Farming" to OP's question?

Old 03-06-2018, 02:59 PM

30,524 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
So is Volosong, I believe.
I thought so too but her name isn't on the list.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/1...ator-list.html

Old 03-06-2018, 03:12 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I checked with in-newengland and she told me to contact VTsnowbird.

I am sorry to hear about the conditions of some of the southern animal shelters. I would hope it's common knowledge things can be pretty bad up here, too. And don't forget the puppy mills. Ugh.

Some of you must think I'm some kind of monster because I have mentioned giving up my cats. Some have told me how easy it is, their experience.

Let me tell you about my experience, too. I took my beloved Mimsy (cat) to NC to see how she would hold up. Not very well. She threw up. Moaned and groaned. Would not eat. Took in water. Used her pan. And about 2-3 weeks later in the middle of the night she had a stroke. It didn't kill her. She flopped around on the floor like a fish out of water before I could get to her. She was limp like a rag doll. I took her to the vet and the vet euthanized her. Ever watch that?? They put a face mask with anesthesia on their face so they won't see the needle that will put them to sleep permanently. She struggled as much as she was able, made a gutteral sound.

Now, for pete's sake. Do you understand why I don't want to put another animal through that??

Please don't tell me how successful your experience was. I only needed one horrible experience to tell me what I should do.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:13 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I thought so too but her name isn't on the list.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/1...ator-list.html
That's odd- recently when I wanted the title to a thread changed, I sent Volosong a direct message and he took care of the title quickly. Maybe send him a direct message?

Old 03-06-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OP I want to add as well, that very recent bankruptcy might make it quite difficult to find a rental, even with steady, dependable income. I have a friend right now who makes very good money in a construction trade who is living in a motel because his credit is poor and no one will rent to him. I would look into your options regarding this before any major moves.

Personally, I'd do the snowbird thing if possible. Save up so you can pay upfront if need be for a 3 month rental and head down then. There are even services now which have drivers to drive your car to your winter destination, you fly and it's there when you get there.
I will be applying for a low-rent apartment. They do a careful inventory of your assets. Every year they reassess. Many of us low income people have had to go bankrupt.

I have checked my credit score. It's surprisingly good. Every creditor I went bankrupt from had been receiving timely payments every month. Never late or missed payment. I think they see that, too.

And since bankruptcy, I have been able to lease a car.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:17 PM

BDL and PAhippo: New Retirement moderator is VTsnowbird.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:21 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,778 times
well, if you dont mind my saying this, you should plan.
Learn from your previous mistake of moving when you didn't have a job offer and don't repeat it.

To do that travel to see what parts of the country you would like. Meet with people, see what the cost of living is, how people are etc. Of course you can find these things online, along with the weather and the cost of housing, but seeing it in person is a bit different. It doesn't have to be expensive. You could take the bus, stay in cheap airbnbs, meet people, see how you feel.

What if you don't like the place? what if after a few years you want back in NY?

But also put in the balance the pros and cons: living in the countryside means mowing the grass and other physical activities that I'm not sure if you can or want to do.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:26 PM

XRiteMA98: ????? did you even bother to read my first post?

If you did, you sure missed a lot.

First of all, I had a job when I moved to TX with the company I worked for in central NY. It was only after I got there, got settled in, that I was told job not available. That was 1993. Now in 2018, I am almost 76 and retired. Not looking for work.

Plan first??????? Really? How about a few years? Would that be enough?

Old 03-06-2018, 04:24 PM

30,524 posts, read 16,217,604 times
IMHO, since you'd be stressed about moving the kitties, they'd pick up on that. Add that to the stress of a new home (yours and theirs)-I'd say rehome them now.

Either way, decide now and then act on that decision. You know what's best for them and you.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
IMHO, since you'd be stressed about moving the kitties, they'd pick up on that. Add that to the stress of a new home (yours and theirs)-I'd say rehome them now.

Either way, decide now and then act on that decision. You know what's best for them and you.

Thank you for your understanding. People tend to make judgements without knowing the full reason why a person has to do something. It is no picnic for me. I do love my babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement