U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 08:44 AM

11,975 posts, read 5,111,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
So, if someone doesn't agreed with your decisions you report the post and have it removed because you think it's rude? Where are you going to "rehome" the cats to - not a home but where you got them, right? That's not rehoming them. Now you'd rather have a dog so out with the cats. And when the dog becomes too much work, and they are a lot more work than a cat, then you'll "rehome" the dog?
Oh come on. You're being very unfair. This person is in her 70s and she's unhappy where she is. Do you want her to spend the rest of her life unhappy because she will need to find new homes for her cats? She's not dumping her cats in the middle of the road somewhere. She's going to find new homes for them and where ever those homes will be she'll do her best to make sure they will be taken care of and hopefully live happy lives.
Then you have the nerve to criticize her because after she moves, she may get a small dog to keep her company. Yes, that's just horrible isn't it?
No one is a bigger animal lover than I am. I have had several rescued dogs that I have made large sacrifices for financially and emotinally and would do it all over again. I now have a rescued feral cat that totally relies on me because I'm the only person she trusts. Would I give up my life for her? I don't think so even though I adore her.
You really should get off your high horse.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:20 AM

4,655 posts, read 3,239,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
What criticism or lack of civility?

I asked what you hoped to accomplish by posting. I have no idea since you seem to be angry and fighting with everyone who is trying to help or expressing an opinion. You seem to be having a bad day. Is everything OK?

Oh, you have been "helping."

I didn't read it that way.

But I will continue to pray for you and those like you.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:41 AM

6,121 posts, read 9,073,863 times
NYGal: I agree this thread should be closed. Ask VT again to close it. She is new so maybe didn't get the request. Volo said to give her time to learn the ropes.

As for your dilemma. If I were you, I would find a retirement area with lots of people your age, where they have already found doctors, dentists, clubs, social activities, and stuff to do. Just picking a community where you don't know anyone is doubly stressful. Makes it harder to get into the stream of life. It's the major reason I chose to stay in AZ, only in a different city. Holy cow, half the people here are retirees ! We all commiserate on each other's troubles and support here is great.

Anyway, I hope you find your way. I am in your corner. Don't give up !

Old 03-07-2018, 10:02 AM

6,875 posts, read 7,273,507 times
We're adults....why do we have to pick up our marbles and go home because of a little back-and-forth that may be heated.
Ignore the posts you don't want to respond to....

People don't like the responses they get...
People feel "offended" ......
People feel challenged ...is that a reason to shut down conversation?

I'm not saying that's what should or should not be requested.
Maybe that's because I never have understood -- other than for a privacy reason -- why conversation should be stopped for all.
And IF conversation is not allowed to continue, IMO the reason should be stated. But that's just me.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:17 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Oh come on. You're being very unfair. This person is in her 70s and she's unhappy where she is. Do you want her to spend the rest of her life unhappy because she will need to find new homes for her cats? She's not dumping her cats in the middle of the road somewhere. She's going to find new homes for them and where ever those homes will be she'll do her best to make sure they will be taken care of and hopefully live happy lives.
Then you have the nerve to criticize her because after she moves, she may get a small dog to keep her company. Yes, that's just horrible isn't it?
No one is a bigger animal lover than I am. I have had several rescued dogs that I have made large sacrifices for financially and emotinally and would do it all over again. I now have a rescued feral cat that totally relies on me because I'm the only person she trusts. Would I give up my life for her? I don't think so even though I adore her.
You really should get off your high horse.

We definitely have very different ways of looking at things. I believe these cats will go back to the shelter - they aren't going to good homes. Taking those cats to the new home would not be giving up her life.

If cats bother her due to her sleeping schedule I can assure you that a dog would be far more vocal about it, especially a beagle.

If she gets a dog, I hope she lives in a safe area because she will likely be standing outside with this dog at 1 a.m. - 2 a.m. etc... The dog will have to go out in the morning whether she's sleeping or not and if she doesn't get up she will suffer the consequences.

Pets can't fix anyone's life - they just enhance it. Animals are not throw aways - tired of these - get rid of them and get a new one.

I'll stay on my high horse. I can't handle anyone that continually displays irresponsible behavior and then comes on CD and wants sympathy or encouragement to continue to do so.

Don't bother praying for me - I do just fine.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:28 AM

That's the problem right there Umbria.

Your last sentence. Says it all right there.

I have to laugh at you. You can read my mind, you know what I am going to do, so tell me, what am I going to do later today? You seem to have an inside track of my life.

You are one of those poor souls who does not have a life. They try to live through someone else's life. Sad, sad, sad.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:23 AM

1,924 posts, read 988,107 times
"Anyone take a risk without firm knowledge you will come out okay?"

If you have "firm knowledge you will come out okay" there is no risk. Of course its frightening, especially with the things that have happened in your past. And your age.

But you want to do something different. Maybe something less drastic than moving but still shaking things up a bit.

I wouldn't get a beagle. They live a long life and if you get an older one, you need to know something about dogs. Get a low key dog who will be happy to go when you are ready. Hounds bark and smell and beagles are bred to chase rabbits (apologies to hound lovers )

Or get a good harness and take the problem cat for a walk. Some exercise may solve some of his issues. I suspected he was an outdoor cat who was neutered late before he was "rescued"

I think about you often. I try to stay out of your business but I hate to see you alienate people who care about you.

If I thought you really wanted advice and mine was good ( ), I would advise you to clean up and pack up like you have already found the perfect place, so that when you do, you have all that behind you. Or, as an alternative, take what you want and just leave. Considering how they have treated you, I wouldn't blame you. Rent a new place before they know you are gone. I know you will see to the cats.

I'm not coming back to this thread so don't bother telling me off

Old 03-07-2018, 12:59 PM

6,875 posts, read 7,273,507 times
Quote:
I'm not coming back to this thread so don't bother telling me off
Now, THAT made me chuckle.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Now, THAT made me chuckle.
Me too.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:06 PM

6,239 posts, read 4,721,373 times
I don't think there is anything funny about the behavior I have seen on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or