U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 01:57 PM

1,357 posts, read 662,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I'm almost 76. No interest in getting a job. Not interested in moving to NE. Maybe you should move back now?
I live in New England....I can`t wait to retire....and get out. Life here especially in winter is not easy. I just want to be warm, and not to fear falling or twisting an ankle in a pothole...which are everywhere

Old 03-05-2018, 02:15 PM

629 posts, read 373,260 times
Quote:

What keeps my foot stuck in the rut is fear of failure. Many years ago I moved to TX for a job that never happened and I took a terrible hit financially. No job, no promise of a job.
Enjoyed reading your post and wish you much success.

We have something in common:

I also moved to Dallas right after graduate school in the early 90s for promise of a job and fell flat on my face. Really rock bottom. That experience I will never forget and now in my early 50s I'm very reluctant to take a chance on a totally new job or relocation. I'm bored out of my mind in my current job and with where I live but due to above average income and pension I'm to afraid to try anything else. I'm unwilling to risk it, as you say.

If I ever lose my job for any reason, I'll be moving to the Gulf Coast so fast it will on the news about someone running 30 miles per hour like Forest Gump.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:18 PM

629 posts, read 373,260 times
Quote:
They remember my move to TX in 1993 which was a nightmare. But that is ancient history and circumstances are changed.
1990-1993 was a terrible job market for a lot of people.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:53 PM

620 posts, read 256,194 times
I wish you luck NYGal! If I lived near you and you headed south, I would be willing to drive your kitties south for you! Sadly, I live in the Pacific NW, so no help there! I am still looking for the ideal place to relocate in retirement with my four cats! It is an extra layer of complication for sure! I looked at Mount Airy NC....the Mayberry town. Looks really cute and not expensive, but didn't look at apartments. There are probably other areas in Western NC that would be good for you...that are far less expensive than Asheville. I think if you hate the cold/snow as much as I hate the gray/drizzle here, you should pack up and go!

Old 03-05-2018, 03:04 PM

6,327 posts, read 4,771,440 times
If it helps at all, my sister picked the Winston-Salem area. The local economy has somewhat recovered and moved on but costs are low after the tobacco industry died.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:33 PM

1,202 posts, read 670,544 times
While you are considering western NC, you might want to look into Greenville, SC just a little farther south but still in a very scenic area. The downtown there is beautiful and bustling. It has also become a favorite with retirees as the Asheville area has gotten more expensive.

I know how the winters in Central NY drag on forever and how gray the skies are for weeks at a time. Best of luck in making your decision.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:52 PM

4,697 posts, read 3,267,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Enjoyed reading your post and wish you much success.

We have something in common:

I also moved to Dallas right after graduate school in the early 90s for promise of a job and fell flat on my face. Really rock bottom. That experience I will never forget and now in my early 50s I'm very reluctant to take a chance on a totally new job or relocation. I'm bored out of my mind in my current job and with where I live but due to above average income and pension I'm to afraid to try anything else. I'm unwilling to risk it, as you say.

If I ever lose my job for any reason, I'll be moving to the Gulf Coast so fast it will on the news about someone running 30 miles per hour like Forest Gump.

If you ever have to move for a job..... get it in writing!! And call a lawyer!! I tried getting a lawyer involved, they wouldn't even talk to me. Big company....very powerful.

Why would you head for the coast if you lost your job?

FWIW, hang onto that job........ you will need the retirement from them when you retire. And bank a lot of it if you can!!

Good luck to you!

Old 03-05-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
If it helps at all, my sister picked the Winston-Salem area. The local economy has somewhat recovered and moved on but costs are low after the tobacco industry died.

After I realized living on the coast was out of my financial reach, I did consider W-S. Visited there a couple of times, checked out apartments, etc. Did not really like it there. I want a smallish town and I like the mountains. I'm glad your sister made out OK there.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I wish you luck NYGal! If I lived near you and you headed south, I would be willing to drive your kitties south for you! Sadly, I live in the Pacific NW, so no help there! I am still looking for the ideal place to relocate in retirement with my four cats! It is an extra layer of complication for sure! I looked at Mount Airy NC....the Mayberry town. Looks really cute and not expensive, but didn't look at apartments. There are probably other areas in Western NC that would be good for you...that are far less expensive than Asheville. I think if you hate the cold/snow as much as I hate the gray/drizzle here, you should pack up and go!

Thank you. I am planning on going to Burnsville, NC. It's a small town and I will visit there very soon.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:24 PM

13,350 posts, read 25,617,103 times
Quote:
Thank you. I am planning on going to Burnsville, NC. It's a small town and I will visit there very soon.
If you do not think your cats could take the stress of moving and they have a good re-home as you've said, I'd suggest that you might not want to take on another pet. It's a constant concern of mine living alone and getting older what will happen to my pets if something sudden happens to me. I have set up complicated plans to place and support them. If you are in a new place, you might now have the years or the connection to place a beagle or other dog. Maybe you could get one from a rescue with the understanding that many rescues have- that the dog return to them if you cannot keep them for whatever reason.

Or if you want dog friends, maybe volunteer at a shelter. Everyone would benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or