U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 12:48 PM

4,679 posts, read 3,250,875 times

Advertisements

I would imagine I'll get some interesting answers to this question.

Since life holds no guarantees for any of us, how willing are you to take a step without knowing you will step on terra firma vs open space?

How do you decide whether to live a dream vs stay "safe" with what is known to you?

My dream is to move out of my senior one-bedroom apartment in central NY. Every day is the same, wake up, do your daily thing, go to bed, sleep. Repeat. Nothing that grabs my interest. Way too much TV (no cable). My one big excitement is to get in my car and drive to areas of my state that appeal to me. I like being outdoors, wildlife (plant and animal), water, etc. Living where I do, there are a few months that are good for doing those things. But other months, winter snow and cold really discourage any of that. At one time I walked in the snow, ice skated, tried snow-shoeing. But time has passed, arthritis, knee replacement, maybe even age have deterred me from doing most of that now.

Time is passing quickly. I want to live in a prettier area, I want flowers. I want more months to go out walking and enjoy what I see. I'm sick of commercial areas.

So I've been Googling about moving to NC. At one time I thought about the coast but have changed my mind due to the unpredictable weather..... hurricanes, nor-Easters, etc. My focus now is on the western part of the state, the mountain area. I have visited both areas and find both attractive for different reasons. It has been suggested to me that when I find "the" place I like, to sell/give away my stuff and buy new or in good shape used items.

What keeps my foot stuck in the rut is fear of failure. Many years ago I moved to TX for a job that never happened and I took a terrible hit financially. No job, no promise of a job. Non-successful reunion with my son there. Today I'm not working and have steady, reliable income (SS, other retirement). Just went bankrupt so have no outstanding debts. I am reasonably sure I can do this. I'm not looking for luxury. I have lived a pretty simple life for the most part. And would enjoy a simple life in a nicer area of our country.

How do I get over my fear that keeps me paralyzed? I don't want to miss out on what may be the best thing I ever did for myself because I'm afraid of a repeat failure?

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Last edited by NYgal1542; 03-04-2018 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Edit NYgal1542, additional sentences.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:52 PM

28,508 posts, read 62,217,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
prettier area, flowers. go out walking
Your thoughts will be appreciated.
Did you get away at all this winter... even just a couple of weeks in Florida?

Old 03-04-2018, 01:03 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,314,873 times
Look into these

http://www.mtnhousing.org/

https://affordablehousingonline.com/...North-Carolina

Old 03-04-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Did you get away at all this winter... even just a couple of weeks in Florida?

Not at all. I have a couple of cats and I hate the idea of boarding them. I know, I'm a sap, but they are my family.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post

Thank you!

Old 03-04-2018, 01:43 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,918,284 times
I did that....took a risk, moved to a new city and state, Charleston SC, without knowing anyone. Enjoyed it for 3 years, but lived in a townhome, which I despised...no privacy! And for me, the heat and humidity and cost of living were detriments...

So I moved back to NC, living now in western part of state. It was again a risk, since I live in total privacy on a few acres...my 3 cats and I are happy here.

It was a bit nerve-wracking prior to the move but I pushed through it and am glad I did...

You can do it too, NYG

Last edited by greatblueheron; 03-04-2018 at 03:09 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 01:52 PM

23,785 posts, read 8,287,252 times
OP: I guess I would first ask your age. Moving by oneself later in life can be a bit much but living in the hard weather, good grief. On the Buffalo issue, a young gal worked in our office and she and BF lived here in Venice area and she could not acclamate to living away from family, so reluctantly her BF moved back to Buffalo area for her. He loved it here in So. Cal. I often wonder if they stayed together and how they are doing back in Buffalo area...

Anyway, cold weather and it's elements are very very hard on us in the aging years...it's been chilly here and I feel it more in my joints and we have great weather here..

For me and feeling restless some yrs ago, I got the idea to move to NC from So Cal here and I went back for a long visit and came running back here...but that's what I had to do....The south and I would not "fit".

NC is mild for the most part and could you take a longer trip and stay there for say a month and see how it feels. I'm sure you know the weather elements there being on the East Coast for the most part. Some stuff you just get used to and I remember the humidity days. pheeeeeee

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-04-2018 at 02:06 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 02:11 PM

6,291 posts, read 4,740,348 times
It sounds like you are living a slow death. Your risk of moving is not that high. Your income will continue. This is not like the past when you moved, needed a job and could not find one.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
It sounds like you are living a slow death. Your risk of moving is not that high. Your income will continue. This is not like the past when you moved, needed a job and could not find one.

Have to admit, I've never thought of that before... living a slow death. You are right. I'm doing what all the women in my family have done and they are all dead now. But I have a true desire to NOT follow their lead.

Thank you for the eye-opener.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:17 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,314,873 times
Specific to Asheville

https://www.lowincomehousing.us/NC/asheville.html

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=thr...sheville%2C+NC

Was 60 degrees here this afternoon at @3000 ft
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or