Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 07:33 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,824,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I see you are in Western Colorado. I've met a surprising number of people who had lived in Grand Junction, and they all said they loved it. It's also a great climate. I've passed through a number of times and it seemed very nice. Any comment on that?
I can't stand Junction, hot dusty high crime traffic drugs and a huge homeless population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 08:45 AM

18,671 posts, read 33,290,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Sounds like a motel that has been turned into efficiencies.
Jim is a country boy, I think.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:38 AM

37,331 posts, read 61,161,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Sounds like a motel that has been turned into efficiencies.
From 1820 until 2000 the town was a mill town. For the first century of that economy, men cut down trees, trimmed them and put the logs in the river to float down to the mill. The men would make the trip to the mill once a year to be paid and re-supply themselves for their next trip up river.

This building was constructed in 1903, as two three-story brick buildings sandwiched side-by-side. They served as a 'dry goods mercantile' to re-provision logging men before they headed back upriver to their camps.

In the 1920s the second and third floors became home to the Elk's lodge.

During WWII a large Cupola on the roof served as a lookout post for the Civil Defense volunteers on watch for German bombers.

The mill closed down in 2006. It had been the largest employer in the region.

Today the big economy seems to be a nearby state university.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:16 AM

16,059 posts, read 10,655,786 times
I wouldn't want to be caught dead in NW Arkansas or the SW Missouri Ozarks. I would be very happy to live in Grand Junction, CO. But the west is not for everyone. If I was moving out of Boston I'd consider coastal North Carolina or west to Winston-Salem or Ashville, western Kentucky or Tennessee, maybe central Missouri, a few others.

A little more information would help. You need to research a variety of places and then make a short list to visit. Moving toward more temperate weather implies moving south or west. Friendlier could be almost anywhere but it is a two-way street. Conservative Christian is a matter of degrees. There are snake fondlers and Westboro-style folks out there in some places and mainstream conservative or traditional denominations in most places. If you are culture-war soldiers you might want to avoid certain places. Some places will be a culture shock experience compared to Boston. Do you have family in Boston you want to visit or be in contact with?

Old 03-06-2018, 12:58 PM

9,513 posts, read 16,451,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
From 1820 until 2000 the town was a mill town. For the first century of that economy, men cut down trees, trimmed them and put the logs in the river to float down to the mill. The men would make the trip to the mill once a year to be paid and re-supply themselves for their next trip up river.

This building was constructed in 1903, as two three-story brick buildings sandwiched side-by-side. They served as a 'dry goods mercantile' to re-provision logging men before they headed back upriver to their camps.

In the 1920s the second and third floors became home to the Elk's lodge.

During WWII a large Cupola on the roof served as a lookout post for the Civil Defense volunteers on watch for German bombers.

The mill closed down in 2006. It had been the largest employer in the region.

Today the big economy seems to be a nearby state university.
What an interesting history the bldgs have. Perhaps the students will be interested in the units. I have a nephew that attends a Univ near Portland. He seems to like it in Maine. Best of Luck with the work on your property.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:13 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,121,554 times
I am from the cape and at retirement we moved to Weirton WV because we could not continue afford to stay there. In Weirton we bought a 5 bedroom 3 bath brick house with a 2 car brick garage for 36K. also everything is walkable if in fact you can walk. also a city transit bus system. the weather here is very similiar to the Cape, but we only had a couple of dustings of snow this winter.Good medical access too. Mostly friendly people.
It is not an overly pretty place as it is an old steel town, most of those are now closed but mills still here. If you saw the movie Super 8 a few years ago, it was filmed in Weirton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement