U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 04:15 AM

2,452 posts, read 3,670,532 times

Advertisements

There is actually a Swedish word for their custom of disposing of unnecessary belongings later in life. Translated the name means "Death Cleaning".

'Death Cleaning' Is the Newest Way to Declutter | Time

Sounds lightly morbid in its translation but the intent is to simplify things for the heirs. It also gives the cleaner the opportunity to direct their possessions to those they wish to have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 04:49 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,231,496 times
Wouldn't it be great just to give the stuff away without compensation? Allowing others to recycle, re-use what you've used? Give it to a deserving college kid just getting started, to a deserving charity, to second-hand thrift stores for a cause - we're lucky here in FL to have a lot of charities looking for help.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:29 AM

12,036 posts, read 5,142,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Wouldn't it be great just to give the stuff away without compensation? Allowing others to recycle, re-use what you've used? Give it to a deserving college kid just getting started, to a deserving charity, to second-hand thrift stores for a cause - we're lucky here in FL to have a lot of charities looking for help.
I don't have it in me to have a huge garage sale or early estate sale. I'd rather just give my stuff to a thrift store. For myself, it's just not worth the trouble of dealing with the general public.
I've known more than one person around here that had an estate sale only to have someone come back and break into the house and just take things that weren't sold. No thanks.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:43 AM

6,571 posts, read 7,996,310 times
When the public is invited to wander through through your home and buy items you mark for sale, it is called a "Tag Sale". Not a garage sale, not a yard sale, because stuff is not piled up outside. A tag sale (the sale items must be well marked) is great because a) you don't need to move everything, and b) items are shown as they are used and displayed in a real home. You may need to secure the small things you are keeping so that they are not available to kleptomaniacs, however. Extra stuff you have had hidden in storage still can be put on tables outside.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:03 AM

4,682 posts, read 3,253,088 times
BucFan and marino760: I feel exactly the same way. I never take a receipt for anything I have donated to charity. In my opinion, a donation is a gift, it's not a sale. It just seems to take away from the original point of donating.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:10 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,073,957 times
I wouldn't have the sale IN my house while I was living there. I would have it in the garage or yard, but advertise it as a "downsizing" sale or some other terminology to let people know it is more than just the average yard sale. Or even advertise, "Having our own Estate Sale!!"

Old 03-06-2018, 06:31 AM

6,571 posts, read 7,996,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
BucFan and marino760: I feel exactly the same way. I never take a receipt for anything I have donated to charity. In my opinion, a donation is a gift, it's not a sale. It just seems to take away from the original point of donating.
Up until recently you could easily use the receipt to allow you to take a deduction when you prepared your Federal taxes. Then, if you wanted, you could donate the cash you saved to charity.

With the new tax law this is less likely in that there will be no incentive to take the deduction. Many argue that this will reduce current donations by people who used to itemize their deductions.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:52 AM

895 posts, read 1,332,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

And there is nothing wrong with selling your stuff. Considering all the "your kids don't want your stuff", why would the things sell in a second hand store? Why would college kids want it? Most college kids go to Target to get "quality" goods. Second hand store - if no one wants the stuff, exactly who is buying the stuff at the Second Hand Stores? ...my thoughts - people who sell on Ebay and the like so all the "no one wants your stuff" routine certainly is enriching someone. Again, selling your stuff and pocketing the money is honorable. Not all of us can just give our stuff away.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:02 AM

895 posts, read 1,332,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Certainly it's a gift but do you have a moral opposition to taking other deductions on your taxes? Unless you don't itemize, why would you consider it less of a donation because you got a receipt? Years ago when I had a higher income, of course I got receipts for charitable deductions including church and donations-in-kind. It didn't lessen the idea of a donation. Now, since I don't itemize, when I donate, I don't get a receipt because I don't have a use for it. However, if I had someone I knew who itemizes, I would offer to make the donation in their name and get them the receipt.

I find it interesting when I observe the generosity of my younger neighbors. They put stuff out on the curb for trash pickers; offer their stuff to neighbors via on line posts. Jump in on any collection of clothing and the like. Is it generosity? Well, yes and no. Some people "give" their stuff away so they can go buy new stuff. The opposite of generations who practiced "use it up"/"wear it out". Our landfills are full of discarded electronics and the like where people wanted the latest greatest which is particularly observable in the materialistic. If I "give away" my stuff regularly, can I then feel less guilty about the money I am blowing on myself?

Funny - my parents were generous but practical and frugal. They weren't foolish and they weren't wasteful. They taught me to value money and responsibility without making me super-materialistic. I have made wise decisions and poor decisions in my life but those principles have remained. By contrast, I found my children who were brought up similarly but we had much more disposable income do not have much respect for frugality. But they also have no problem "borrowing money" from parents and grandparents and then failing to pay it back. Since that concept was so foreign to both my parents and myself, we were suckers once too many. So, I digress but I really question the "heart" of people that constantly "give" and consider it more worthy The heart is the issue - always the heart.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:06 AM

4,682 posts, read 3,253,088 times
mzfroggez: I don't have enough income to pay taxes. And back when I worked and had a better income, I still did not take the credit on my taxes.

A donation is a gift. Period.

Why do you have such a cynical attitude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or