Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:26 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,789,108 times

Advertisements

As far as inshore beaches go, in NC the Neuse River is the widest river in the US. I think that is a bogus piece of trivia because they should call it part of the sound at that point; it's 7 miles wide around New Bern and is mostly salty (fishing is for sea trout and red drum unless you go up some side creeks). Anyway, there are lots of little beaches along the "river" and some of them are pretty nice. Unlike the "real" ocean beaches, most are not public. You can have your own private little stretch of sound/river beach. New Bern is a destination town and has lots of things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 08:28 AM

21,716 posts, read 12,777,266 times
Not sure I'd be happy giving up my dream of the ocean proper. Living a few blocks back would probably be as much of a compromise as I could make. As for driving to the beach, those who have to do that tell me it ends up being such a hassle (loading things into the car, finding and paying for parking spaces, etc.) that they end up not going all that much... I could stay where I am and not go to the beach all that much!

Last edited by otterhere; 03-09-2018 at 08:58 AM..

Old 03-09-2018, 08:54 AM

Emerald Isle would probably be my top choice for 2nd, 3rd or 4th row because a lot of it has just enough slope that they can all have upper decks with sea views and they have some protection from surge water damage. Below is a picture of a beachfront place and if you look to the sides, you can see the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... rows are slightly up hill and some have views. This is just the first one I could find that sort of shows it. In some areas, nearly every house has an upper deck and starting about the 3rd row, many are smaller single family homes (most beachfront and first row are purpose built as vacation rentals).

Old 03-09-2018, 01:02 PM

1,303 posts, read 849,131 times
When I win the lottery, I'm buying this house!

Old 03-09-2018, 01:22 PM

Have some good possibilities to look into; thanks. I would be happy with a certain island off the coast of Charleston SC if the prices weren't completely out of this world lately.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:56 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,973,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
It's not bad here compared to a lot of states. I am not going to let a few percentage points outweigh my preference when I retire.

Note that those are the top marginal rates. We are flat in NC.
IL does not tax pension or retirement income, or Social Security benefits. Not that I mean OP should move there, just that the map shown in the quoted post is not relevant when it comes to those sources of income in IL.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
IL does not tax pension or retirement income, or Social Security benefits. Not that I mean OP should move there, just that the map shown in the quoted post is not relevant when it comes to those sources of income in IL.
Some parts of Chicago along the Gold Coast look nice, although that's not the ocean. A number of states don't tax PPs or SS, including Florida. That would be a nice perk but, no, it's not the main consideration.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Have some good possibilities to look into; thanks. I would be happy with a certain island off the coast of Charleston SC if the prices weren't completely out of this world lately.
Starts with K and rhymes with about as many things as orange?

Old 03-09-2018, 02:56 PM

Folly, and it would be to pay those asking prices.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:06 PM

23,658 posts, read 13,854,634 times
YOUCH!

From the other side of the coin.

Once upon a time, there was a place called Hilton Head. Dad bought a lot, built a house there that the family could go there on vacation. The house was built so those using it had to do the minimal amount of work on it so they could enjoy their vacation more. It was a primitive type of place that took, once on the island, an hour or so to get to far end of the place. TV was by, at best, aerial and there were no phones. If someone wanted you to talk to them, a messenger came out from the Inn to let you know someone had called for you.

Over the decades, though, more people moved in and things "improved". Phones were added, cable tv made its appearance, and then, people started building mini mansions. A place that was a beach get away got dotted with so many homes that had pools located at each and every place. Then a highway bypass was added so it was possible to get from the bridge to the far side of the island in minutes. As the place became the home, the only home, for so many, so did conditions change on the beach. Once the beach was a place to embrace one's own fantasy; in the 90s, there was a sign at the end of many of a walk way that declared "NO" to many of the activities one once did to relax.

With all this development, the taxes went up. Why not with all these mini mansions around? For those who had come there and stayed as a vacation get away, it was too much (ie, $14K+ a year) and they sold out, left it behind.

Once upon a time, there was a sleepy beach side town called Port Aransas. It was one that people got there by ferry, of tourist shops, beach side restaurants, and get away rentals. A place where student crews from the science institute could come in from a day of working in the sea or sand and go to a place with butcher paper tablecloths, get a meal of seafood dumped on the table from a bucket with pitchers of beer, and to toss the remains down a hole in the middle of the table.

Then, it was said the retirees had seen this as a place where they could build and the writing was on the wall. It was going to chance MASSIVELY.

etc, etc, etc

Having seen it in one place, such approaches to places are no friends of mine.................and that is just from memories.

Never mind, from my marine biology background, what that kind of building does to fragile estuary environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement