U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 10:05 AM

28,220 posts, read 47,641,499 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON - The trustees of Social Security and Medicare are certain to kick off a fierce round of debate when they release their annual assessment of the fiscal health of the government's two biggest benefit programs.

Soc. Sec. report to eye benefit programs - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 12:12 PM

116 posts, read 402,044 times
Default Lets just work full time until we are 90

All over the Internet are messages and editorials calling social security a welfare program and telling everyone we would do better if it were eliminated. Of course people who are saying this are financially well off or do not know what it would feel like at age 70 getting out of bed and trying to compete for full time jobs with immigrants and young people who work two jobs. I see little opportunity for the average person to survive without social security paying at least half of their retirement income needs. Especially in the future as food and fuel prices makes a middle class lifestyle almost impossible for senior citizens.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:12 PM

7,118 posts, read 8,165,408 times
Post We Paid For It! I'm Still Paying!

Welfare - heck no! I was shocked, a few years back, when my wife pointed out to me what was appearing on my pay stub - which I always tossed and never looked at. Social Security and Medicare together take more out of my pay than the IRS does! Don't anybody tell me this is "welfare"! This money was withdrawn all these years, as a mandatory thing which I had nothing to say about.

When I think back on a life of almost 40 years of work, with at least 2 more to go, I wonder - if I'd had the freedom to sock that money in an IRA instead, how much better off would we be in retirement? I'll probably collect Social Security for a few years, but I'll start right off at 62 instead of waiting till 66. However, for some time now, I have not been considering it as funding for my retirement. It will last until it's not there any more. Thankfully we both have other sources of funds, small as they will be!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:01 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,527,559 times
puleezzzee, Don't let them do this until November 7th of this year . Whewwww. I'll be in the clear, then.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-25-2008, 06:47 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
This has been a issue for years.That is why Bush had to propose a plan after getting elected by law. It failed and the democrats even then deied social securtiy is in trouble. The probalm is even worse for medicare and medicaid.When it hits like the moprtgage crisis the congress will go into action by pointing fingers.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:17 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,152,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
congress will go into action by pointing fingers.
Every two years we select our own future by who we elect. If they ignore us, get rid of them.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:37 AM

46 posts, read 102,895 times
Default Greed

People who have plentiful assests, whether earned or inherited, are usually the people who complain the most about programs such as SS and Medicare. They scream the loudest for elimination of the inheritance tax, capital gains tax, dividend tax, luxury tax, ad nausem. Now why do they complain so? I wonder who would benefit from eliminating "wealth taxes". Oh, of course, it is the "trickle down" theory of economics. They will spend the extra money employing the rest of us, at minimum wage, to mow their lawns, clean there homes and swimming pools, pick up their trash, and groom their poodles. No wonder they call the theory the LAFFER Curve. The laugh is on us. Also, the payroll deductions for SS are capped way below what the wealthy earn. And have a great day!

Old 03-27-2008, 02:46 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
They have know this in congres for years now. When Bush was offical notified by the trustees as required by law several yeras ago;he responded with a plan to allow younger people to invest some of their money. The democrats said there was no problem. The congressional commission on SS said that either payroll taxes had to be increased or bene fits lower. I the end they will do nothing again.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,025,711 times
I think there's about 30% of retirees that live on SS alone.

How can anyone who is not rich live without it? I always imagine in my mind how it would be to interview for jobs at 75 (limping and half-blind). My SS will probably cover almost 50% of my retirement, and that's including having a PT job and having a pension.

Those "elites" figure if THEY are so rich, we can all be rich. Huh? Kind of illogical, as Spock would say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement