Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:25 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywings View Post
If he means LEGAL immigrants, then it gets murky. Legal immigrants are apt to have more skills, better English, etc., than the illegal population and if they are willing and able to get and retain the same jobs that an lifelong American citizen retiree would... then depending on each job situation, maybe there would be competition for it between the two.
Good point, and if we are talking about competition for a job that requires education or highly developed skills then I have no sympathy for the OP at all. Jobs should go to the person who offers the best skills and/or has offered the best price for his services. Work on making yourself more marketable. If you really feel you are not being given a fair chance, you can always start your own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 09:18 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
...Most of their (10) children had a university degree and several became doctors or other professionals...Both the man and his wife worked at a meat slaughterhouse in central Illinois on the graveyard shift cutting up pigs! Both were nearly age 70!!...
So why aren't those ten successful children helping their parents instead of making them to cut up pigs to survive their last years?

Old 03-26-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
So why aren't those ten successful children helping their parents instead of making them to cut up pigs to survive their last years?
LOL, and good point, too. You have been especially fun to read today. Definitely deserves a rep point.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Hmmm, maybe these are the same people we were discussing earlier who pay the doctor's bill with pigs... and the doctor charged 4 1/2 pigs???

Old 03-26-2008, 06:28 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Yes, I do feel the immigrants are taking some of the part time jobs retirees would do. Definitely.
Yes, Bette,

I also notice that lots of immigrants work as sales clerks in department stores such as Macy's and Dillards. They do take jobs I might want one of these days.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:56 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Speaking of part time jobs, I applied for one today at Menard's, they had a sign looking for part time help.

Most of my experience is clerical but after many inventories in the parts warehouse and at dealership parts areas, I figure I can stock shelves. I definitely know about sku numbers, mixed stock, rotation and fronting shelves so they look nice.

So we'll see . . . . . .

Old 03-26-2008, 11:37 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Hmmm, maybe these are the same people we were discussing earlier who pay the doctor's bill with pigs... and the doctor charged 4 1/2 pigs???
This would be totally unnecessary if the insurance company paid the entire 5 pig bill. However, there is a 1/2 pig co-pay!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:32 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
They also take the entry level jobs that used to be available to our kids to get a start in life. I started working after school at 15 at a car wash, on a Coca Cola truck, stocker in an A&P grocery, and waxing cars at car lots. Those kinds of jobs are mostly held by illegals now.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:21 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
They also take the entry level jobs that used to be available to our kids to get a start in life. I started working after school at 15 at a car wash, on a Coca Cola truck, stocker in an A&P grocery, and waxing cars at car lots. Those kinds of jobs are mostly held by illegals now.
The question is, are these low skill jobs going to immigrants and not kids because kids are too lazy and want ridiculous amounts of money for their skill level today or because the illegals are much cheaper at slave wages. When I was a teenager, I too did all manner of cheap labor and worked hard for peanuts. I keep hearing about kids who demand $50 an hour for no skill labor and just scoff at that. Or they just figure mommy and daddy will give them whatever they want so why should they lift a finger?

On the other hand, I have a wonderful young man in my neighborhood who does my pet sitting for me and he is very busy with all manner of odd jobs (plus school and sports). His older sister did the same thing before him and they are both great kids.

IF I decide at some point after retirement that I want to work part time for money, I would hope that my life-earned skills would garner me a better position than the entry level jobs. But I don't plan on needing that.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I see this from a slightly different point of view, the view of an employer who regularly hired people to fill a few entry level jobs. I personally preferred hiring kids (I liked the idea of giving young people job skills) but in recent years I've become disappointed by the work ethic and attitude of the kids I've met. Not every kid... but a lot of them.

People with small companies have to be extra careful these days. I would rather hire someone with a language problem than someone with a bad attitude any day. On the other hand, communication with people who don't have a solid grasp of English can be a problem. My business was publishing. This is the type of business in which precise communication is important--subtle misunderstandings about instructions can be very expensive. So a native-born American already has the edge... if that person has a half-way decent attitude.

There is yet another hand. I learned something surprising over the years: sometimes native-born teenagers have worse communication skills than immigrants. So, the bottom line is that if you or your kid isn't getting a job (and an immigrant is), it's because you didn't present yourself well.

BTW Bideshi, I remember reading your charming tale of how you are an American who is currently working in a foreign land. Some 30 years ago, you told us, you met and fell happily in love with a girl in that country. You were in your 30s, she was 18, and you are still happily married to her.

Now consider this: Whether you like it or not, there are plenty of small-minded people who will consider your wife and children to be immigrants when you move back to Colorado (as you plan to do). Many people don't care about legalities (consider the OP, who was complaining about immigrants in general). Would it be fair to keep your kids from getting jobs just because they were born in Germany? Does it really help the economy to keep them unemployed with nothing to do and no way to contribute to their families? What if some bad luck comes your way and your sweet young wife wants to help pay the bills--wouldn't it be wrong to forbid her from working simply because you moved to America?

Last edited by normie; 03-27-2008 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement