Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 PM

116 posts, read 436,754 times

Advertisements

I look around now and then and try to figure out what part time job I can do when I retire. When I see something that pays fairly and looks fairly interesting I usually see an immigrant doing it. Now I have nothing against immigrants as individuals but I wonder if employers would be more open to hiring senior citizens for part time jobs if there weren't so many immigrants begging for jobs. Do you feel like you are in competition with immigrants for a good part time job in retirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 02:36 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Yeah, those darn immigrants are keeping me from getting a really great job. I could be walking up and down the median of a busy road selling flowers out in the hot sun all day. I could be climbing up ladders three stories to clean out gutters, or maybe lugging heavy rolls of tar paper up onto roofs so I can bend over doing heavy construction work all day.

And dontcha know that doing back breaking work like picking fruit all day is just what the doctor ordered for my arthritis. Now that I'm old and hard of hearing I'm missing out on a great opportunity to carry a leaf blower and do gardening for hours at a time. If it wasn't for them I could be loading cargo down at the docks.

Darn it, they're preventing me from making less than minimum wage, too.
Darn immigrants.

OK, enough sarcasm. The best part time jobs for retirees are usually in the same field you worked in during your career. You've already got special skills and a network developed, see if anyone needs some extra help on a contractual basis.

Last edited by normie; 03-25-2008 at 02:49 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 04:19 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
...The best part time jobs for retirees are usually in the same field you worked in during your career...
That's bad news for the retired immigrants.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:59 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Yeah, those darn immigrants are keeping me from getting a really great job. I could be walking up and down the median of a busy road selling flowers out in the hot sun all day. I could be climbing up ladders three stories to clean out gutters, or maybe lugging heavy rolls of tar paper up onto roofs so I can bend over doing heavy construction work all day.

Loved your post, normie ( but, you have to spread some rep around, yadda yadda). That is so true, though. I have always wanted to get a job cleaning the bathrooms in the mall.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-25-2008, 06:34 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Great post Normie and very true. I took early retirement at 55, got bored after a year went by and took the advice of my accountant. He said if you want to work go to the Manpower office that Abbott Labs uses and you'll be hired immediately. I went there on a Monday and was working by the next week. I stayed with Manpower 4 yrs. until I moved to Wisconsin 6 mos. ago. I worked in one dept. at Abbott most of the time. I always felt if you weren't working, lived in NE Illinois you really weren't looking that hard. As you say, I drew on the skills I used for my previous job.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The fact is that many companies are begging retired employeees to return because of the shortage of qualifioed people in many jobs.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The fact is that many companies are begging retired employeees to return because of the shortage of qualifioed people in many jobs.
they're beggin but im not goin.
fyi if you drop dead on the job from stress they don't have to pay retirement. yep comeonback!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:27 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile More jobs?

Yes, I do feel the immigrants are taking some of the part time jobs retirees would do. Definitely.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:56 PM

184 posts, read 1,544,481 times
I'm not sure whether the OP is referring to LEGAL or ILLEGAL immigrants, because he didn't specify.... though it makes a big difference to the answer.

If he's talking about ILLEGAL immigrants, who are doing 'the kind of jobs most Americans don't want to do' (i.e., unskilled labor, perhaps little or no command of English) then No, I don't think they have ANY effect on job availability for retirees.

If he means LEGAL immigrants, then it gets murky. Legal immigrants are apt to have more skills, better English, etc., than the illegal population and if they are willing and able to get and retain the same jobs that an lifelong American citizen retiree would... then depending on each job situation, maybe there would be competition for it between the two.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:10 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
For the most part, the answer to the question from the OP would be no in my view, assuming the reference is to undocumented / illegal immigrants. Here's an example:

Last year I was on an airplane trip into LA on a flight from the midwest, sitting next to a man and his wife in their upper 60s. They were speaking Spanish in a way that I knew was from Mexico. I also speak Spanish and during the flight we chatted for awhile about their visit to LA. They were going to visit some of their 10 adult children who all live in the US. Most of their children had a university degree and several became doctors or other professionals. Two of their sons were military officers. Needless to say I was impressed. But I was floored when this guy told me he and his wife were illegal immigrants in the US for over 35 years until they got legal documentation around 1990. They were still working because all those previous years in the US illegally did not give them much for retirement. Both the man and his wife worked at a meat slaughterhouse in central Illinois on the graveyard shift cutting up pigs! Both were nearly age 70!! This is not a job that most people of their age or any age would step up for. These are the types of jobs that many unskilled immigrants (with or without documents) here in the US take up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement