Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 07:55 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,390,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
  • Suddenly realizing you are the oldest person in the Dept.
  • Noticing that the others you rely upon for support functions at work (such as Buyers) will not respond to your requests, but jump through hoops to assist those 20-30 years younger.
  • Frustration that no one can understand what you consider basic engineering philosophies and methods. (This week it was appropriately selecting an air blower for a special one-off project)
  • Frustration that no one else seems to care about doing a good job, they just want to complete it quickly.
  • Absence of trust and responsibility.

Time to leave before I become known as the grouchy old man who yells at kids to stay off his grass.
Funny how much I relate to some of the above....MY HUGE pet peeve was the fact that SOME of the "younger" ones did not seem to want to "learn" from you trying to mentor and teach them...they just kept running to you to "solve" their problems over and over and over......

REALLY??!?!? OMG, they were like "what are we going to do when you retire??" Your the only one that seems to know these things!!! (guess what, it is NOT stuff your born with, it was allllll learned by me and all those that DID take the time to learn and remember it)

Well, DUH!!! MAYBE when you came to me the first 20 times with the SAME issue, you could "remember" how to handle it????

It got to the point I felt they would bring their "problem" for pass off vs learning how to handle it themselves....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 08:00 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,501,719 times
It was a number.

We had a number (for net worth) that when reached meant we had a very good chance of never outliving our savings. Upon reaching said number, we quit. Now we goof off, it's fun.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:28 AM

296 posts, read 187,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Assuming you had some amount of control, how did you know that it was time to retire? What motivated you to take that step?
When I started my Civil Service job at 21, I knew that my time to retire would be 300 months later.
No additional motivation was necessary.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:02 AM

18,650 posts, read 33,216,650 times
When I could afford to and got close enough to Medicare.
I absolutely was exhausted from stress and hours (night RN in a big psych hospital). What tipped me earlier was my renewed desire to move to Colorado and need to rest up before moving, and wanting to move in spring so as to be settled for the glorious summer. Also wanted to miss the sticky humid (to me) East Coast summer. Wanted to put my current house on the market in spring, in fact, the realtor wishes I'd leave sooner!

I could not move to CO while needing to work, so had to be retired to do it and take my pension.

Hence, I retired a few months short of 65 and that was very expensive with COBRA. However, it's been worth it. I feel like I'm recovering from a long illness (nights/stress) and am glad to be resting up wildly as I have been. Lots of sleep and body work and supplements. It's a long recovery and I would like to move to CO with some vigor on the way.

Oh, and how did I know it was time? I never liked working but didn't have an idea of retirement financially until kinda late in the game.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:19 AM

18,750 posts, read 11,723,165 times
I retired when I knew I couldn't stand another minute of a high stress crazy job that offered only 12 hour shifts. Yeah. NO!

Old 03-24-2018, 09:20 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,436,387 times
I'm not yet retired, but I know the year I'm going to retire. For me, it was a question of genetics and family history, so I have at least some idea of how long I'll be around. I'm saving now and probably am a bit too conservative, but I really don't want to work past my target year.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:34 AM

11,010 posts, read 6,544,037 times
My once-wonderful company turned into a nightmare in the space of one year, with new management. That changed the whole picture. DH's work underwent a huge change in a short time too---none for the better. We were in a small tourist town with no other options so when my joints went, and disability kicked in, we headed off to our retirement beach condo we'd bought back in 2013.

Sometimes the time-line or life events are not what you expected, but you go with it. Not sorry to retire "early" (60). The "numbers" would not pan out for most retirees, but it works fine for us.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:40 AM

12,050 posts, read 10,191,228 times
When I had troubling climbing over a barrier when we were under "Alarm Red" in Kuwait. Felt that not only was I endangering myself, but others if I couldn't help them either. Time to go.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:51 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,755,013 times
Upon turning 61, a special company buyout came along that would allow me to work the next year - or not work the next year ... and get paid the same amount. Since I planned to retire at 62 anyway, it seemed like a pretty easy decision.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:56 AM

6,334 posts, read 7,687,649 times
Quote:
Assuming you had some amount of control, how did you know that it was time to retire?
The overwhelming factor on timing was reaching Medicare eligibility. After that, the date was one of convenience to maximize several beneficial factors.

Quote:
What motivated you to take that step?
Too much to do, see, and experience; and work got in the way.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement