Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 02:29 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,446 times

Advertisements

This truly scares me.

The trustees, issuing a once-a-year analysis of the government's two biggest benefit programs, said the resources in the Social Security trust fund will be depleted by 2041. The reserves in the Medicare trust fund that pays hospital benefits were projected to be wiped out by 2019....

Government benefit programs in trouble - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 02:33 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
This truly scares me.

The trustees, issuing a once-a-year analysis of the government's two biggest benefit programs, said the resources in the Social Security trust fund will be depleted by 2041. The reserves in the Medicare trust fund that pays hospital benefits were projected to be wiped out by 2019....

Government benefit programs in trouble - Yahoo! News (broken link)
But Frank, this is not new news - we've known about this for years. What can you expect when the system is being used the way it is?

You do realize that when social security was established the average Americal only lived a few years beyond retirement and so paying his benefits was not a problem? These days the average American uses up what they actually contributed to the system over their lifetime in about 3 years, BUT THEY STILL GET TO KEEP GETTING MONEY, sometimes for 20 years or more!

People have got to stop thinking of social security as their ONLY retirement plan!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
But Frank, this is not new news - we've known about this for years. What can you expect when the system is being used the way it is?

You do realize that when social security was established the average Americal only lived a few years beyond retirement and so paying his benefits was not a problem? These days the average American uses up what they actually contributed to the system over their lifetime in about 3 years, BUT THEY STILL GET TO KEEP GETTING MONEY, sometimes for 20 years or more!

People have got to stop thinking of social security as their ONLY retirement plan!
loves - Sadly, for a large percentage of the population, Social Security is their only retirement plan. They are the kind of people to whom working at Walmart is their "dream job". Think back to your grandparents and other older folks whose only source of income was SS!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
loves - Sadly, for a large percentage of the population, Social Security is their only retirement plan. They are the kind of people to whom working at Walmart is their "dream job". Think back to your grandparents and other older folks whose only source of income was SS!
I agree with you Em, and it is sad - but in this day and age there is no excuse for people looking at social security as such an entitlement program - there has been info around for YEARS informing people that they'd better do more to look out for themselves.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:04 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Yeah, this has been known and even discussed during the recent primary debates and such... It sucks for sure, but not worthy for use in my doom and gloom campaign.

Maybe I can fit it in somewhere.... hmmmmm.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:07 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
I agree with you Em, and it is sad - but in this day and age there is no excuse for people looking at social security as such an entitlement program - there has been info around for YEARS informing people that they'd better do more to look out for themselves.
loves - The definition of SS was that it was a supplimental progam, not your main source of survival! Unfortunately, with pensions being eliminated in midstream for many Americans and even 401k plans (Bear- Stearns being a prime example) getting wiped out in bad times. I guess the new replacement will be the Just Die! program! Soylent Green anyone?

Old 03-25-2008, 03:08 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Quote:
Wait a minute!! The workforce and employers are forced to pay SS with the promise that it is a retirement plan. As long as we are forced to pay under this premise we are entitled to the benefits.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:28 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Wait a minute!! The workforce and employers are forced to pay SS with the promise that it is a retirement plan. As long as we are forced to pay under this premise we are entitled to the benefits.
You think SS is a retirement plan? Did someone give you that promise in writing? Because I don't recall any of my employers or political leaders making such a promise to me. It's a supplemental safety net, that's all.

That said, let's remember it's an election year. It seems to happen like clockwork, every four years. Suddenly there's a big scary statement about money running out. Just watch and see--my bet is we'll be hearing different news in November. Miraculously they will have found a different source of money or they will report that statistics were misunderstood or they will just report different findings with no explanation at all.

Note that the big scare is about the money for Medicare. IMO this tactic is a ploy to get senior citizen democrats who are annoyed by the Clinton/Obama bickering to switch over to the republican side.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:31 PM

755 posts, read 2,493,202 times
Let's not forget all of those people treating SSI like welfare because they are "disabled."

Old 03-25-2008, 04:56 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
These days the average American uses up what they actually contributed to the system over their lifetime in about 3 years, BUT THEY STILL GET TO KEEP GETTING MONEY, sometimes for 20 years or more!

Are you sure that is correct? I have been paying the maximum for years & I will certainly not get my money back in only three years (or even twenty, I don't think).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement