Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 06:16 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
OK, that's an ideal, but who's going to pay for this universal 401K plan and the default 4%?

If your honest, you know the answer and it's not one that "I" don't think is realistic since the burden will mainly fall (Again) on the Middle Class, which is now fighting to keep its head above the waterline.

So for this universal 401K plan, would that take the place of a Social Security check or just another program to go hand in hand with a SSA check? ...Again, I already know the answer to this question.

I'm tired of funding nowhere ideals or anything with the word "universal" in it since that's a code word from the progressives.
It would be in addition to Social Security. The government would cover the paperwork and administration so businesses wouldn't have to. Workers would have to pay 4% of their pay into it. Business resists setting up retirement plans saying they cost too much and claim few would sign up. This would crush those objections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
By not working, obviously.
Or working cash jobs, off the books. Those who spent their entire careers doing so, unless they invested on their own, are in for a big shock at retirement age.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:06 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Or working cash jobs, off the books. Those who spent their entire careers doing so, unless they invested on their own, are in for a big shock at retirement age.
US citizens born in US Territories where enrolling in SS is not common, may serve in the US military, and not really be aware of the 'benefits' of having an SS policy.

Any one of them after serving a contract, may get 'out' and return stateside to live anywhere in the US they want to live. Still without a SS policy, simply because they have never applied for one.

In the case of the US Navy, policy is to counsel each service member to get an EIN. To use in place of an SSN whenever possible.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
US citizens born in US Territories where enrolling in SS is not common, may serve in the US military, and not really be aware of the 'benefits' of having an SS policy.

Any one of them after serving a contract, may get 'out' and return stateside to live anywhere in the US they want to live. Still without a SS policy, simply because they have never applied for one.

In the case of the US Navy, policy is to counsel each service member to get an EIN. To use in place of an SSN whenever possible.
That's news to me! I thought you needed a SSN to enlist.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:24 PM

6,592 posts, read 7,082,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
According to recent data, 79% of workers have access to a 401K plan. However, only 41% of them actually participate. The “trouble” doesn’t just exist due to the lack of 401K plans, but from the fact that even when one is a available many people choose not to take advantage of it. There’s no reason to assume that a federal 401K would have better participation given that 38% of people who have the option decline even if free money in the form of a match is available. Some people just cannot or will not save for retirement.
And that is a travesty that this thread is not addressing. I completely agree and to those folks who do not take part in their employer's 401k plan I feel sorry for but they at least have that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
If it is automatic to participate in a 401k and effort needs to be taken to opt out, that would increase participation
That would be awesome but as some would say that it goes against free will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Yes, it would increase participation. But forcing people to spend their money on something that they don't want isn't generally a good idea, even if its for their own good.

And we completely agree that it is for their own good. But again the thread was addressing the fact that 20% do not have access to a 401k/403b. If states get into the universal 401k it couldn't be mandated. Only the employer would be able to do it by making it so that they have to opt out.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:53 PM

371 posts, read 287,621 times
Quote:
None of this post is correct. Not even one single part.
Buffett says he's still paying lower tax rate than his secretary

I don't believe Warren Buffet or CNN is lying. You can choose to believe what you wish.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:55 PM

10,702 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Military pay is subject to Social Security. How does an EIN cover that?

Old 04-04-2018, 07:59 PM

10,702 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Rich people pay very little taxes compared to the poor. Warren Buffet says his secretary pays more taxes than he does. The poor subsidize the rich
Quote:

I don't believe Warren Buffet or CNN is lying. You can choose to believe what you wish.
If you are still confused about the difference between a lower tax rate, and lower taxes, I’d be happy to explain it to you.

Every part of the first quote above, and particularly the highlighted portion, is wrong.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:

My understanding was that mr. Buffet is paying a lower 'tax rate' than his secretary pays.

Not lower taxes, but a lower tax rate.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Military pay is subject to Social Security. How does an EIN cover that?
If an individual has a SS policy, then their salary is subject to SS [at a rate of five quarters per year, and not the four quarters per year rate that civilians are subject to].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement