Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 10:20 PM

5,157 posts, read 3,083,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
You sure know a lot about this stuff. Are you actually saying you work for a bank that charges customers $15 per month just to have a checking account? If so, why not ask your bosses why? Do you advise them to go elsewhere?
When was the last time you opened a bank account? Poor people often have bad credit scores, and the banks/CUs that offer free checking will not open an account for them. They are trapped with that $15/mo account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 11:05 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Title of this thread: "Americans Haven’t Saved Enough for Retirement. What Are We Going to Do About It?"

Clearly, "We" should not be doing anything.
Just to let you know, .."You are not alone in your opinion.
Go to POST #620,.....I just finished it a few minutes ago.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:31 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Somewhere between the war parents and the mid to late boomer parents, things changed.

That began the " you can't spank your child", a "trophy for every participant" and the " my child should have their own room, complete with their own tv, computer, video game machine and if possible their own bathroom" generation that has come up...

I'm a tail end boomer, and blame my generation for starting it. My generation, especially in large families where multiple siblings shared a room, and their kids, who god forbid, they should have to share a room. My point on that has always been " when they get married for the rest of their lives, won't they be sharing a room AND a bed with their spouse?, but they can't share as a child?"

Same with privacy. In my gym class, attendance was taken as youbexited the shower in or high and high school. Now a days they don't shower because someone might see them naked, or some gay person might. Get over it, people. Same with their own bath. Because apparently my generation started the "can't share (anythibg)" syndrome.

Nowadays it's " sit in the corner and think about what you did", well if they had been thinking to begin with, they wouldn't be in the corner. Get over it people. Sure my father was physically abusive, even called in it by the school for the black and blue marks and bruises and blisters I had on my back...but I learned to NEVER do that again...whatever it was that I did tgat my father didn't like. I got over it. Plenty of others did too. Johnny doesn't learn anything sitting in the corner.

My generation started the mcmansion phase. Not wanting to squeeze a family of four in a 1000sqft box, they now wanted 3000sqft houses. Again so no one shares Any thing and every has " their space ".

Same with retirement for anyone and everyone whether they worked for it or not. To be sure, I count on SS, but that's not all. I've never had a large payment job or a cushy job, but I have workedhad for what I have. I've always had 2 jobs, even in the 80s when I made more than 3 xs minimum, and now struggle in my area to find much paying much more than minimum. I'm here until 90 yo FIL passes if not my father too. We consider it out jobs to look after them.

But having more than one job allowed me to save, go on vacations like Disney World so often I can give the tour, and look forward to our next trip back to Hawai'i. When I pointed out that saving just $10/week over 5 or 6 years woukd pay for a trip to Hawai'i, people don't think so, until tgey look it up, divide the cost by years and weeks. But, you know What? "That's to hard to do"....because it's not instant gratification, another concept my generation started. No delayed gratification here, don't bother to grow your own garden LIKE I do, just go to store and buy half ripe produce. Gardening DELAYS gratification. Store bought leads to *instant* gratification.

No, it's not been easy for display catch up for retirement, but $1 out of every $10 we earn at LEAST ( 10% for thise who cant figure it out) goes for the delayed gratification of retirement.
Even though I'm medically retired, I am allowed to Work part time to help ( only part time only at minimum), so I can have more. Pres Bush Jr allowed me to do that by law. If I earn too much, though I lose my SSDI. As soon as my knee is replaced I may take in a second job and eliminate SSDI for a few years.

That will allow me to save MORE for retirement, to save towards vacations I'd rather take now while I can still walk with a cane, and have a better life. I always worked atvlrast two jobs.

Yep, I blame my generation, the post war capital consumerism "me first" " every one Get a a trophy " " don't touch your child " for the ills.

Sure corporate America and small businesses aren't any prize today, but I blame the start of today's troubles with my generation and our parents.

So, get over it people, poor you, you don't win a trophy, oflh well. Do better next time and may be you will.

Some of the old ways need to come back

Old 04-15-2018, 12:44 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
I'm beginning to see the "everyone gets a prize" mentality online. I watch the show jumping competitions on Youtube and on one of the comments, someone posted that maybe they should lower the jumps since so many people couldn't jump all of them. In a jumping competition of maybe 40+ riders, maybe ten and sometimes fewer will go clear. The course is set up to be difficult to do for that reason because it tests both the horse and rider.

Another poster (much nicer than I would have) pointed out the meaning of the word "competition". I just find it amazing in this day and age that people don't understand that not all entrants in a competition are going to be perfect at it and win something.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:34 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Agreeded. However there are some who want to see SS disappear.
Sure, but they’re retiring from Congress rather than getting tarred and feathered by their constituents next November. I think we’ll see Medicaid get slashed since it’s crushing state budgets and poor people don’t vote. Social Security is politically untouchable and it will be politically difficult to chop much out of Medicare.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:52 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Sure, but they’re retiring from Congress rather than getting tarred and feathered by their constituents next November. I think we’ll see Medicaid get slashed since it’s crushing state budgets and poor people don’t vote. Social Security is politically untouchable and it will be politically difficult to chop much out of Medicare.
What they want to do with Medicare is voucherize it, which is worse than chopping it. SS they want to hand to Wall Street. Medicaid recipients DO vote, millions and millions of middle class people'and even upper middle are in long term care on Medicaid.

I do not think SS and Medicare are as safe as you do, I think we are in trouble. This congress has spent a ton and the deficit is huge and growing huger. They give to the rich and take from the poor AND middle class. They are sure not going to roll back their ginormous tax cut.

The voters don't set policy anymore. Sheldon Addelson and the Koch brothers do, and they are pushing hard for this.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-15-2018 at 05:08 AM..

Old 04-15-2018, 04:59 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
We already have a mandatory retirement plan and mandatory contributions. It is called social security.
Not your money in any sense of the word, administered by drunken sailors who are $22 trillion in debt, & a massive negative return on what you put in. Nowhere near enough to live on.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:12 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Try a communist country then you get what you need to live on and everyone is equal. No thanks we just go back from Cuba. I will take unfair capitalism any day

Old 04-15-2018, 06:14 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

EDIT:........I just looked back to the beginning of this Thread,........and the question is asked: ........

.......................What are "WE" going to do about it?

My question is: .....what's with this "WE stuff???
....have you got a mouse in your pocket or what??
Love this post! Even being born 24 years later, the life lessons you grew up with match those of my youth. Perhaps because my parents were born in 1915 and 1917 which is probably close to the birth years of your parents.

As far as "We", my only suggestions is that "We" push our Representatives and Senators for the return of the myRA program (or similar) which gives workers at smaller companies another option for them to fund their retirement.

No pocket mouse required. LOL

Old 04-15-2018, 07:40 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Somewhere between the war parents and the mid to late boomer parents, things changed.

That began the " you can't spank your child", a "trophy for every participant" and the " my child should have their own room, complete with their own tv, computer, video game machine and if possible their own bathroom" generation that has come up...

I'm a tail end boomer, and blame my generation for starting it. My generation, especially in large families where multiple siblings shared a room, and their kids, who god forbid, they should have to share a room. My point on that has always been " when they get married for the rest of their lives, won't they be sharing a room AND a bed with their spouse?, but they can't share as a child?"

Same with privacy. In my gym class, attendance was taken as youbexited the shower in or high and high school. Now a days they don't shower because someone might see them naked, or some gay person might. Get over it, people. Same with their own bath. Because apparently my generation started the "can't share (anythibg)" syndrome.

Nowadays it's " sit in the corner and think about what you did", well if they had been thinking to begin with, they wouldn't be in the corner. Get over it people. Sure my father was physically abusive, even called in it by the school for the black and blue marks and bruises and blisters I had on my back...but I learned to NEVER do that again...whatever it was that I did tgat my father didn't like. I got over it. Plenty of others did too. Johnny doesn't learn anything sitting in the corner.

My generation started the mcmansion phase. Not wanting to squeeze a family of four in a 1000sqft box, they now wanted 3000sqft houses. Again so no one shares Any thing and every has " their space ".

Same with retirement for anyone and everyone whether they worked for it or not. To be sure, I count on SS, but that's not all. I've never had a large payment job or a cushy job, but I have workedhad for what I have. I've always had 2 jobs, even in the 80s when I made more than 3 xs minimum, and now struggle in my area to find much paying much more than minimum. I'm here until 90 yo FIL passes if not my father too. We consider it out jobs to look after them.

But having more than one job allowed me to save, go on vacations like Disney World so often I can give the tour, and look forward to our next trip back to Hawai'i. When I pointed out that saving just $10/week over 5 or 6 years woukd pay for a trip to Hawai'i, people don't think so, until tgey look it up, divide the cost by years and weeks. But, you know What? "That's to hard to do"....because it's not instant gratification, another concept my generation started. No delayed gratification here, don't bother to grow your own garden LIKE I do, just go to store and buy half ripe produce. Gardening DELAYS gratification. Store bought leads to *instant* gratification.

No, it's not been easy for display catch up for retirement, but $1 out of every $10 we earn at LEAST ( 10% for thise who cant figure it out) goes for the delayed gratification of retirement.
Even though I'm medically retired, I am allowed to Work part time to help ( only part time only at minimum), so I can have more. Pres Bush Jr allowed me to do that by law. If I earn too much, though I lose my SSDI. As soon as my knee is replaced I may take in a second job and eliminate SSDI for a few years.

That will allow me to save MORE for retirement, to save towards vacations I'd rather take now while I can still walk with a cane, and have a better life. I always worked atvlrast two jobs.

Yep, I blame my generation, the post war capital consumerism "me first" " every one Get a a trophy " " don't touch your child " for the ills.

Sure corporate America and small businesses aren't any prize today, but I blame the start of today's troubles with my generation and our parents.

So, get over it people, poor you, you don't win a trophy, oflh well. Do better next time and may be you will.

Some of the old ways need to come back

Doesn't this mean that a large number of people didn't like all those things you mentioned and decided that they were not going to continue those "traditions".

Do you ever hear people your age talk about how they didn't want to be like their parents? I remember friends of mine saying that and wondered why.

They seemed to be better off than me, but you never know what goes on in some families. I appreciate what my parents did, but some would probably say they were too hard on us. To each his own. But unlike you - my dad never hit us and we were still good kids. Go and enjoy life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement