Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 07:05 PM

18 posts, read 54,464 times

Advertisements

Anyone considered retirement in this area?

No one responded to the Williamsburg question, but I'd really hope to get some input as to life in the area. Ideally I'd like a warmer winter, but it's hard to get access to classical music and museums, perfect weather, a relaxed and socialable lifestyle, proximity to the ocean and good health care with relative affordability. I also suspect many area retirees are either big golfers or colonial history buffs (I'm neither) and that the area is not particularly artsy which is another preference.

Please share your opinions and recommendations if you have other suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 08:35 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,537,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beablessing View Post
Anyone considered retirement in this area?

No one responded to the Williamsburg question, but I'd really hope to get some input as to life in the area. Ideally I'd like a warmer winter, but it's hard to get access to classical music and museums, perfect weather, a relaxed and socialable lifestyle, proximity to the ocean and good health care with relative affordability. I also suspect many area retirees are either big golfers or colonial history buffs (I'm neither) and that the area is not particularly artsy which is another preference.

Please share your opinions and recommendations if you have other suggestions. Thanks.
Tidewater? Where exactly is it?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:41 PM

Tidewater aka Hampton Roads. I'm inquiring specifically about Williamsburgm VA but as noted am open to any info. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:21 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,231,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
Tidewater? Where exactly is it?
That is the area of southeast VA where the Chesapeake Bay ends and rivers are estuarys. Williamsburg is a ways inland but the James River where the first English settlement was is right near there. Lots of water and the land is very flat. Hot humid summers and winters get some snow and ice.

Sometimes people refer to an area by its local name forgetting the people who might live hundreds of miles away don't have a clue where the place could be.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 PM

Thanks. Tesaje, for supplying a better and more detailed location response.

While Williamsburg is not one of the 7 communities of Tidewater, it has become associated with the area. Colonial Williamsburg is flat but some suburban sections are slightly hilly. I take it from your response that it's not an area that appeals to you. I know you dislike humidity, but aside from climate what do you think of the area? Have you narrowed down your list of possibilities yet and are any east of the Mississippi?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:39 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,231,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beablessing View Post
Thanks. Tesaje, for supplying a better and more detailed location response.

While Williamsburg is not one of the 7 communities of Tidewater, it has become associated with the area. Colonial Williamsburg is flat but some suburban sections are slightly hilly. I take it from your response that it's not an area that appeals to you. I know you dislike humidity, but aside from climate what do you think of the area? Have you narrowed down your list of possibilities yet and are any east of the Mississippi?
I grew up in the West and want to return there, so no, I'm not planning on staying east of the Miss.

Actually, I rather like Williamsburg even tho I don't care for the climate. But I have never lived there so I can't give you any details. I have a friend who works in Wakefield and commutes across the James so he can live Williamsburg. He has a passel of kids and the schools and education opportunities are much better than further south, so he said

Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM

Thanks, Tesaje. West is not in the realm of possibilities for us right now although I wish it were. Any thoughts of Charleston, SC or other warm, artsy locations near water?

Old 02-04-2009, 02:05 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,634,273 times
Warm, artsy locations near the ocean tend to be extremely hot and humid in the summer or in the path of hurricanes or really expensive.
Savannah, GA, might suit you. There's an art college there and outside of the historic district it's not that expensive.
Cape May at the tip of New Jersey might be possible.
If you'd settle for river water and lots of lakes, East Tennessee has those. Knoxville has a lively art scene. Although University of Tennessee gets publicity for sports, it has top rated drama, arts and music programs, particularly jazz and opera.
The non-college art scene has always been strong and is getting a real boost from the revival of downtown.
Downtown Knoxville (http://www.downtownknoxville.com/play/annual_events.cfm - broken link)
But if you've got to have salt water, it's a drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement