Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 11:31 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,084 times

Advertisements

Hubbie and I are in our mid 60's. Hubbie still works and loves it. I retired but I'm considering going back to work. We currently live in upstate NY, have our large house/ farm for sale because we want to downsize. We don't want to move South altho we did check out Florida, but we really didn't like that either.

We really do not want to move again after retirement. So when we do sell our farm, since we will be working we need to stay within commuting distance of Albany.

Question: Has anyone retired to the "Capital area" of NY? We are looking for a nice town to retire too (eventually). When we sell our farm, we want to downsize, and then stay put when we retire, so we want to make this move count.

We are willing to be within a 50 mile radius of Albany (Hubbie already travels 57 miles each way).

I know the areas pretty good but spending the day someplace is not the same as living there. I was thinking of the Saratoga Springs area but it would be more expensive than other places.

Any ideas or suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 11:38 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
The majority of posters in this forum know nothing about NY other than it has high taxes. You would probably get more informed responses from the Albany area forum.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:17 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
I agree with Alaska Eriks comments.
However being a Lower Hudson valley resident, I feel I can chime in. I've heard of a few teachers retiring to the Glenn falls area, Saratoga Springs as you mentioned. I think the key for you, would be to find the place that best suits your needs. I could very well be in a smaller home right in your current area?
The big challenge for us NY'ers is the high real estate taxes. I just can't wrap my head around $10,000/year taxes anymore.
Good luck!

Old 04-02-2018, 02:32 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Can you be across the border in NH or VT and still be within 50 miles of Albany?

NY's high (insane) taxes are enough, once I knew about them, I didn't really have any more questions. Although, yeah, I know other things about NY, for example, they are apparently the champion road salters from amongst the states, and they have very restrictive gun laws. And the Finger Lake region gets epic snowfalls, but am not aware of much good skiing around that place, too flat. I could be wrong on that last, NY is not a place I pay that much attention to.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:48 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i like lower ny state like around fishkill . if you don't mind snow the finger lake region around skaneateles is beautiful . i spent almost all of last july there.

ny tax wise is not to bad , ny does not tax our social security , ny does not tax my wife's pension which is a nyc pension , but it exempts the first 20k of all pensions . it may exclude the first 20k in ira money too . the state also gives us a 1600 tax credit for having long term care insurance . real estate taxes vary greatly depending where you are .

we paid so little in nys tax this year .

Old 04-02-2018, 03:58 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
We are willing to be within a 50 mile radius of Albany (Hubbie already travels 57 miles each way).

I know the areas pretty good but spending the day someplace is not the same as living there. I was thinking of the Saratoga Springs area but it would be more expensive than other places.
I think it's time for some serious road tripping to check the various options out. A 50-mile radius isn't that big, and I'm sure you'll be able to weed out many of the possibles by simply spending a few days there and noting the amenities the various smaller towns have (or don't have) there.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:20 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i like being closer to the kids and grand kids so if i left queens i like hartsdale in westchester .

you have hartsdale ,eastchester and scarsdale all next to each other . the difference is the school systems which run good,better best with scarsdale being one of the most costliest places in the country to live. my son lives there .

but we have no interest in the school systems so hartsdale is way way cheaper and very very nice

Old 04-02-2018, 08:03 PM

1,013 posts, read 912,633 times
I love NY and upstate is beautiful and I hope it makes a comeback. The thing is their restrictive laws keep me from ever considering it. I’d live in Vermont or NH if I retired up there.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:07 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Can you be across the border in NH or VT and still be within 50 miles of Albany?
Bennington, VT is within the OP's desired commuting distance (on what looks like a major road, too). So it could be added to the list of possibilities. I don't know if anywhere in New Hampshire would be close enough, but I don't think so.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:22 PM

543 posts, read 703,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
I love NY and upstate is beautiful and I hope it makes a comeback. The thing is their restrictive laws keep me from ever considering it. I’d live in Vermont or NH if I retired up there.
Vermont is no bargain compared to NY if you look into it and NH is a long ride over the Greens. Vt. does have less in the way of restrictions like no building inspectors. You could buy a home with the well drilled right through the septic field and not even know it. I've heard of it happening. Berkshire County in Mass. gives you Albany locals on Directv and such, and a few of the Towns like Alford or Hancock have very low property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement