Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 07:34 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,484,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Looks like most of us have seen a change in appetite. Just eating less.

I bought some thin sliced chicken breasts to day to pan grill and add to my salads. I had been buying chicken breast deli meat - maybe not the best idea.

Can't wait for my tomatoes and cukes to produce. Plants are already flowering
Yes, I think with age we lose appetite.

I think it's because we no longer grow, no longer need big meals and energy for the day, especially if sedentary or retired. That is not to be confused with being an active senior.

I gained weight, a lot of it, due to medications, eating more ( especially when on steroids, I am ravenous), and more sedentary life.

I knew that as I headed for 300 pounds, I had to do something.

Then BAM! I'M DIABETIC.

I attended 10 hours of classes in how to manage diabetes, along with getting a diet plan more specific to me: eat something at least every 4-5 hours, but not a 4 course meal, eat healthier and cut carbs.

The first 30 pounds melted off in 3 months! Then I hit a brick wall. My endocrinologist said thst would happen but my body would adjust and I'd start to lose again. He was,right, and I lost another 30. Now I'm back to the wall again.

I learned what to eat, how much I was "allowed", and which choices to make . Its not that i cant have something, just cant have it often or too much of it. If i wNt pizza, two small to medium pieces and im done, not half a sheet pizza!

I used to cook, but elaborate meals ( in a former part of my career I was a restaurant "chef" [ aka glorified line cook] cook), but now since I don't eat as much, I'm not so keen on doing a lot of cooking. Or big elaborate meals.

At 226, I still need to loose at least another 30. Hopefully this summer, being more active in the garden will help, as both brick walls hit during winter.
The more I lose, though the longer it takes to lose tgem.

I think 102-103 Kg sounds better!!!, but I guess I should be about 75 kg.

Decreased appetite had happened to all the elderly in my family, so I'm sure it will to me.

Actually, it already is, I tend not to "gorge" any more, and with greatly reduced portions, I feel better, not so bloated and "crampy".

I DO agree with the poster who said add a shake to your plan.i have a diabetic shake almost every day for breakfast with a banana or with a half sandwich for lunch ( gone is the whole sandwich and mounds of potato chips, Mac salad or potato salad)

Good luck to all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 08:07 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I keep hoping my appetite will decrease. I have been hungry for decades and I would like to not be hungry all the time in old age!

Old 04-03-2018, 08:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I'm never really hungry and eat to keep strong. I eat mostly protein, veggies and drink water...1 cup coffee daily. I take a lot of supplements and am very aware of carbs and sugars. I don't move like I did all my early life...SO.....

Old 04-03-2018, 08:24 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
With coffee I find that you have to doctor it up with quite a bit of milk or cream and probably some sugar. Then it starts to taste the way it smells. I don't see how anyone can drink black coffee. (I know, some people like the bitter taste.)

I wish I could get back to making soups again. You know how you go through those phases? I was trying a new soup recipe every month. Once I stopped I never started again. Of course it helps if you have fresh vegetables. That won't happen until summer.

Seems that if I had my way, I'd be making waffles with sliced strawberries and real maple syrup. Or blueberry pancakes. Or some chocolate dessert from my recipe file. That's okay every once in a while. It takes some degree of self discipline to eat right. I'm still trying to learn to like salads.
The only kind of coffee I get is Folgers Black Silk. It's a very smooth coffee taste, very little acid, and a very rich flavor. I usually use just a little milk as more than that covers the flavor too much. Its also low acid so it doesn't bother tummies. But it tastes good without anything.

Both Mom and Dad were dedicated coffee drinkers. They used Yuban, and when I started sharing I discovered I liked the darker coffees. But we regularly killed off coffee makers. It was when I was working in programming, though, that it was part of getting done. I paid in my part on the coffee fund. But if you wanted to go look out the window having coffee with it was a really good excuse.

I've tried tea, but just don't like most of them. The ones I do are more custom but I do have tea once in a while.

In the winter, I have something hot going most of the day. Its usually coffee, though it gets mixed with cocoa mix sometimes. When its really chilly a good really hot drink warms you up better than a nice hot coat.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
With coffee I find that you have to doctor it up with quite a bit of milk or cream and probably some sugar. Then it starts to taste the way it smells. I don't see how anyone can drink black coffee. (I know, some people like the bitter taste.)

I wish I could get back to making soups again. You know how you go through those phases? I was trying a new soup recipe every month. Once I stopped I never started again. Of course it helps if you have fresh vegetables. That won't happen until summer.

Seems that if I had my way, I'd be making waffles with sliced strawberries and real maple syrup. Or blueberry pancakes. Or some chocolate dessert from my recipe file. That's okay every once in a while. It takes some degree of self discipline to eat right. I'm still trying to learn to like salads.
This new coffee, the Black Silk, I've tried with just a little milk, no sugar and its just as smooth and good. Apparently its one of the top selling Folgers blends. Most coffee mixes I like a little sugar, but I also like them really really strong. Its very flavorful but not bitter. I notice coffee at restraunts and such are not as good.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:28 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,267,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
This new coffee, the Black Silk, I've tried with just a little milk, no sugar and its just as smooth and good. Apparently its one of the top selling Folgers blends. Most coffee mixes I like a little sugar, but I also like them really really strong. Its very flavorful but not bitter. I notice coffee at restraunts and such are not as good.
That is what I used to buy when I had a regular drip coffee maker.

I use a Keurig now but still like the darker roasts. I order my coffee online and it is much less that way. Also get a discount for being on auto order. The pods I get are 98% biodegradable, so I don't feel so guilty

Old 04-03-2018, 11:39 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
I cook most of my meals from fresh ingredients. I consume zero canned or frozen foods, aside from frozen wild caught salmon 3 or 4 meals per week. Most of my meals are almost the same thing day after day so the lack of variety would probably be something most people would not like.

Breakfast = 2 scrambled eggs with a serving of brussel sprouts and butternut squash or yams. Topped with onions, butter and a clove of fresh minced garlic. The brussel sprouts, yams or squash are all cooked in a pressure cooker in large batches in advance so they just need to be re-heated quick in the microwave.

Lunch = sliced Chicken breast from a previously baked dutch oven containing 4 pounds worth of chicken. Usually gets re-heated in a stove top skillet with some olive oil to make it crispy and tasty. Also a big serving of steamed veggies and a side of steamed brown rice and / or pinto beans. Add fresh minced garlic to the veggies.

Dinner is almost the same thing as lunch. As mentioned above, salmon replaces the chicken breast for 4 meals a week. Some kind of lean beef replaces the chicken 2 or 3 meals a week.

Beverages = fresh ground & french press brewed Colombia Supremo coffee after breakfast. No creme or sugar. Usually 1 big mug. Water is the only other beverage. No juices, milk or booze.

Afternoon snack = whole raw carrot & 1 small avocado. Plain middle east style yogurt (no added sugar or sugary flavors) is also an occasional snack for calcium intake. Other snacks might be a small apple or a small orange or half grapefruit, no more than 1 fruit serving per day. I avoid most foods containing sugar and gluten.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:18 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I rarely feel hungry any more. When I do eat it's way less than I think I want to eat.

My body mass index is normal and my weight has been stable for at least ten years.

Truth is, like some of you others, all I really feel like eating anymore is comfort foods. I'll make a large dinner thinking I want it and DH eats it while I have a bowl of oatmeal and blueberries.

My diet is balanced but there's no way I could eat the recommended size and variety of servings in any one day. Maybe it will be from the breads and cereals, dairy and meat groups one day and from the fruit and vegetables the next day.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing this "right" but my annual physical results have been in the normal range. So I guess I'll keep doing it my way until I get a signal that it's time to change.
Maybe there is something to that old saw about listening to your body when it comes to eating to satisfy your nutritional needs?

Sounds like you are doing pretty well in that regard.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:50 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
One of my favorite breakfasts! My wife, on the other hand, thinks it's disgusting. Either that, or she thinks I'm disgusting; I've never asked her to clarify that, lol.

ESPN even used to have a daily morning show called Cold Pizza.
You just made me spit out my coffee, MMOB!!!!

Old 04-04-2018, 05:54 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
None of that stuff appeals to me now.

Used to love ice cream and now it just sits in the freezer.
I believe it! Our taste buds change every 7 years, but as I get older, it's far more frequent than that.

I used to love to cook all types of foreign foods, and I'd make a notation after those recipes which often said: Make again and again! One of the best dishes I've ever made!" And I'd put the date beside it, when I cooked it!

And? I've gone back and spotted some of those recipes from 10-20 years ago, one with the Delicious! Delicious! notations, and I go through all that work and? Where were my taste buds back then? On drugs?

I increasingly use the slow cookers for just about any dish now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement