Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 03:45 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I meant that both of you cleared your place, and then went looking for more to clear because "it's fun".
It is fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 04:12 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Same week, how about same day. People in SoCal and Hawai'i (Big Island) do the twofer or double in the winter, surf in the morning and snow ski in the afternoon or vice versa, best of both worlds!
We do not ski on the volcanoes, but yes, we have snow. I mean you can ski 10 / 15 ft if you were so inclined, no pun intended. So technically there is snow, and skis present, but I wouldn't call it skiing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-05-2018, 05:26 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
After living in Minnesota my whole life, after retiring, I only want to see snowstorms on the national TV newscasts. The number of people that actually enjoy the cold and snowy Minnesota winters, and probably all of the snowbelt, is very tiny. Most people simply put up with the long and cold winters for a number of reasons. Their jobs and their family living nearby are some of the primary reasons.

After retiring, we have the freedom to escape from the long, cold and snowy winters. Perhaps the people who really love snow so much should consider volunteering to shovel their neighbors sidewalks and driveways, if they really love the snow so much!

Old 04-05-2018, 05:34 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
AlaskaE I can sympathize. I also have a walk behind with heated handgrips but my tractor can clear my driveway in 1/4 the time it takes me to do it with the small one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I meant that both of you cleared your place, and then went looking for more to clear because "it's fun".
As Submariner said it is fun of a sort. I would not help all the neighbors. I have a school teacher across the street from me a tad younger than me. She bought a munchkin of a snow thrower and regretted it the very first year. I take care of the fire hydrant for the area and right across the street was an elderly couple. If the snow was really deep I would go help him. He passed away but his wife has been out there shoveling. I would not let her do it on her own. Finally her son convinced her to go to his house when there is a storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Our driveway is also over 300 feet long.

A snow-blower lifts the snow and tosses it 40 to 50 foot into the forest. Removing any snow banks.

Some of our neighbors 'plow' their snow, but after 5 or 6 snow storms their snowbanks will have built-up to become huge. Tall snowbanks inhibit visibility and can make pulling out onto pavement dangerous.
Yeah that is exactly why I talked the wife into letting me buy that snow thrower. She tried to convince me to get the plow blade but as I walked her around our driveway I asked her where she would push the snow. She had no answers that would work. She relented.

I have rebuilt the snow thrower twice. The gear box for the auger shredded. The first time I rebuilt that gear box. It didn't last but 2 years. Two years ago I bought a brand new gear box. The unit had to be modified because they changed the original one because they had problems with it. It is a much stronger unit now. This weekend I have to replace the injector coils on the tractor. Really the first bit of trouble I have had with it. Over 400 hours on the motor.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:58 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
It isn't the snow and cold so much that depresses me. It's the lack of colour for months at a time, with a lot of snowy grey skies.

Give me the colours of spring, summer and fall with flowers, grass, trees and autumn leaves.

How I wish I could talk hubby into going south for at least two months out of the winters. He loves winter, so we'll have to just compromise.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:05 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We do not ski on the volcanoes, but yes, we have snow. I mean you can ski 10 / 15 ft if you were so inclined, no pun intended. So technically there is snow, and skis present, but I wouldn't call it skiing.
Oh, people do ski on Mauna Kea, I saw it with my own eyes in March of 2009. It's more of an ice/snow mixture where you can't really get an edge, but people skied the volcano none the less. I see it as more of a novelty, so people can say, yes I "snow skied" in Hawai'i.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:14 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
How about a 412-hp big block V8 Chevy powered 3 stage snowblower?

Old 04-05-2018, 06:34 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Personally, I like it when we have enough snow that you need a snorkel to breath while skiing deep pow.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:03 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
We recently had our biggest snow of the year in this rural county with 12 to 18" of the stuff. When you live with a winding driveway up and down slope to get to the dirt road that finally gets you to a graded and graveled road and then ultimately a paved main road it is tough. That much snow took down power lines and many were without power for 100 hours. Friends came on the 3rd day to have showers at my place, charge their cell phones and have some home made hot food. Everybody has wells so when there is no power there is also no running water. Fill the bathtub so you at least have water to flush the toilets. Many homes have electric heat pumps with no back-up. Some do have propane or wood stoves to provide some heat.

Lots and lots of trees down, which is why so many lost power. For those living far from the main roads they expect to have to go out in their 4 wheel drive trucks with chain saws, cables and come-alongs to drag large pieces off to the side of the road after they cut through the downed trees to create a one lane passage. Waiting for VDOT would take too long. All the tree trimming companies are still out clearing downed trees and chipping them up. Saw several crews today as I went up to the big town.

One of the things that did influence my choice of this particular house was that it has a short, flat, paved driveway, is located on a well traveled road and is only 3/10's of a mile from the main east/west route across the county. About the only reason that I'd have to go out during the worst of the conditions would be for a medical emergency for one of my old dogs. In 12 years that hasn't happened yet.

I make sure that I've brought in enough wood for the fireplace and am well stocked on kerosene for the 2 heaters. If the power is likely to go out overnight I fix a pot of coffee and fill my big thermos so I can at least have my morning cuppa. I also make sure that my Kindle is fully charged so I have some entertainment.

So it can be a bit of a big deal once or twice a year for a couple of days.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:05 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Well, I'm not a huge fan of snow/cold, but I don't get the fascination with beaches either. Sand and salty water and sticky heat. Yuck. A city with a nice climate would be Salt Lake City. Dry but not arid, never frigid or boiling hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement