Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 12:17 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,866,633 times

Advertisements

My recently-retired mother, me, and my two sons have lived together for about 18 years now. We don't have separate apartments or wings or anything in the house. Obviously separate bedrooms, but the rest is shared. We get along well, finances are split appropriately, and I'll be around to care for her if she needs it in the future.

I think multi-generational or multi-family housing is great. Why does everyone have to be so alone these days? (Yes, I realize some people like that, which is fine, of course.) As long as no one is taking advantage and there is no inter-personal stress, I think it's a smart option... especially financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 01:54 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,112,022 times
When my husband retired, disabled so forced out, we moved to a house I had purchased 5 years early with 5 bedrooms and 3 baths in Weirton WV. We brought our youngest son and his family to live with and take care of the both of us, I am also disabled. My oldest son also moved with us so we have 7 of us here now. Three generations, us, two sons, son's wife and two grandchildren. My other 3 children and my other grandchild are still back in MA.
So you are not alone.

Last edited by arwenmark; 04-09-2018 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-09-2018, 01:59 PM

764 posts, read 1,035,247 times
I'm experiencing a multi generational household for the second time. Both involve adult children and grandchildren moving back home.

The first time was with my daughter who was living at home and got pregnant. They lived with us from birth until he was almost five. It wasn't something any of us planned for, but my wife an I knew that if we didn't help out (place to live, food on the table, babysitting, etc.) that my daughter and grandson would struggle considerably.

Now we're enjoying it a second time as my son is now living with us after a divorce and a job loss. The bonus is that he gets my granddaughter two weeks a month, so we get to see her a lot more than we previously did.

Would I have preferred not to have been in these situations? Yes, but life happens. I'd rather be planning for retirement and downsizing.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:43 AM

888 posts, read 648,365 times
My daughter and her family moved in with us for a year while they saved to move to Alaska. They left last May. In June my son, daughter in law and 14 yr old grandson will move in with us. How long, not sure. They want to save money to build a house. I am looking forward to it. My daughter had a 2 and a 3 yr old so a 14 yr old will be so easy.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:29 AM

34,848 posts, read 30,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
I'm experiencing a multi generational household for the second time. Both involve adult children and grandchildren moving back home.

The first time was with my daughter who was living at home and got pregnant. They lived with us from birth until he was almost five. It wasn't something any of us planned for, but my wife an I knew that if we didn't help out (place to live, food on the table, babysitting, etc.) that my daughter and grandson would struggle considerably.

Now we're enjoying it a second time as my son is now living with us after a divorce and a job loss. The bonus is that he gets my granddaughter two weeks a month, so we get to see her a lot more than we previously did.

Would I have preferred not to have been in these situations? Yes, but life happens. I'd rather be planning for retirement and downsizing.
A lot of folks think life is some fairly linear upward progression without dips.

I lived from 2012-2016 in Iowa and Indiana. I'm from Tennessee. Back in 2016, I was probably going to lose my job in Indiana. Finances were getting out of control. I got a job paying the same I made in Indiana, and moved back home for awhile until I dug myself out and got the finances under control.

It wasn't what I wanted to do and it was unexpected, but unemployment, divorce, illness, can happen to anyone.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:17 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,649,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

It wasn't what I wanted to do and it was unexpected, but unemployment, divorce, illness, can happen to anyone.

But that doesn't necessarily mean you move back home.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:28 AM

371 posts, read 285,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suevee View Post
Or am I an anachronism? I started sharing my paid off home with my daughter and her family when husband was ill. It has been about 8 years now.

In my family we have a history of multi generations living together on both sides. My grandparents, parents, siblings, and my husband all died at home surrounded by family. Is this an oddity now?

We share all bills pertaining to the household including property taxes, insurances, maintenance, utilities and groceries. We could afford separate homes but sharing frees up money for both of us allowing more family activities and savings for her and freedom of worry when traveling for me. In addition as part of the nuclear family I am aging in place. I am part of the daily life and as I age it will be a normal part of life not an outside force.

Does anyone else choose multi generational lifestyle?
Good for you. Sounds like a loving family

Old 04-10-2018, 12:54 PM

34,848 posts, read 30,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
But that doesn't necessarily mean you move back home.
Would I have "survived?" Absolutely. Would things have been rougher? Absolutely.

I was fortunate to have kept my salary. I paid a third of the expenses. That allowed me to keep my expenses down, much lower than rent, for awhile until things stabilized.

I would do it for my family if they got into financial trouble. It's what families do.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:16 AM

23,690 posts, read 9,267,935 times
i do and it is heck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement