Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 06:06 AM

731 posts, read 767,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Nooooooooooo. The earnings limit ONLY APPLIES TO EARNINGS FROM A JOB. IT DOES NOT COUNT OTHER INCOME. You can have a million dollars in income from other sources but it will not count.
DH and I are retired with no job, both under 62. If we take early SS at 62: Does income from a rental property count towards the earnings limit? And if it does, is the earnings limit double for a married couple filing jointly? I know a pension and 401K withdrawals don't count, right? Also, if you sell a vacation home or rental property does the profit you make when all is said and done, count towards the earning limits for SS?

Thanks!

Last edited by bbtondo; 04-22-2018 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: added another question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 06:37 AM

106,590 posts, read 108,739,314 times
nothing but earned income from a job counts for the earnings cap . unless you are a real estate professional .

however all taxable income and muni interest counts toward getting your ss taxed and also is used to determine your medicare premium . a sale of an asset can get you a big medicare premium increase as much as an additional 600 bucks a month or so for a couple .

ask me how i know ha ha ha.

the earnings cap only applies to w2 income . there are separate rules for being self employed

Old 04-22-2018, 08:41 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,660,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
I understand that if either myself or husband take SS earlier than FRA there is a reduction. If he takes it at FRA 66, I will be 63. If we both take it at that time mine is reduced. I can get 1/2 of his ( with a reduction) or my own, which is almost the same amount. If he should pass I’d get his full amount, but it would reduced due to the fact that I took mine early. Or, would I NOT get a reduction on his if I take MINE out early, not his. Or am I just not understanding all the ins and outs.

Also, I keep reading and hearing that the spouse with lower earnings record should take it early and let the higher one grow. Ok, but if the higher earner dies, wouldn’t I (lower earner) be reduced forever on his?

We are contemplating having only one of us file next year to supplement our income and can’t fund this info out. Lastly, he could qualify to collect 1/2 of mine letting his grow as he was born in 1953. But, again, would his be reduced when he finally takes his?

Ok, if you read through that and aren’t confused and know the answer, I’d love to hear it!
Sure sounds like the option of you taking at 63 and him doing the Spousal (Restricted Application) is the way to go.....

Old 04-22-2018, 11:25 AM

you only have the choice to file restricted at your fra . he can file restricted at 66 for 1/2 hers but she can't file at 63 for half his .

Old 04-22-2018, 11:32 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,660,292 times
Luckily I didn't say that.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:41 AM

but remember , who ever's record gets collected on by filing restricted must be collecting themselves too so if he files for 1/2 hers she has to be collecting and can't delay

Old 04-22-2018, 11:52 AM

385 posts, read 323,848 times
I am late to this thread, but if I were you, I would either buy or go to the library and check out Laurence Kotlikoff & Philip Moeller's Get What's Yours -- Revised & Updated: The Secrets to Maxing Out Your Social Security: https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...ence+kotlikoff

He also has a web site: https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/

You might ask, well, who is Kotlikoff? He is an economics professor at Boston University, and he is an expert in retirement/Social Security.

Judge for yourself, but he is someone who knows what he is talking about and can be trusted.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:00 PM

731 posts, read 767,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nothing but earned income from a job counts for the earnings cap . unless you are a real estate professional .

however all taxable income and muni interest counts toward getting your ss taxed and also is used to determine your medicare premium . a sale of an asset can get you a big medicare premium increase as much as an additional 600 bucks a month or so for a couple .

ask me how i know ha ha ha.

the earnings cap only applies to w2 income . there are separate rules for being self employed

Thanks! Really appreciate the answer. I was aware of taxable income counting as SS is taxed and also of the medicare premium with the sale of an asset. Learned that from you! LOL

Old 04-22-2018, 12:30 PM

yeah , usually these are the things we learn after the fact .

this is why i am so big on folks becoming educated in retirement planning .

a lot of times it is not we know that is the problem , it is what we think we know that ain't so that is .

Old 04-28-2018, 12:39 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
I understand that if either myself or husband take SS earlier than FRA there is a reduction. If he takes it at FRA 66, I will be 63. If we both take it at that time mine is reduced. I can get 1/2 of his ( with a reduction) or my own, which is almost the same amount. If he should pass I’d get his full amount, but it would reduced due to the fact that I took mine early. Or, would I NOT get a reduction on his if I take MINE out early, not his. Or am I just not understanding all the ins and outs.

Also, I keep reading and hearing that the spouse with lower earnings record should take it early and let the higher one grow. Ok, but if the higher earner dies, wouldn’t I (lower earner) be reduced forever on his?

We are contemplating having only one of us file next year to supplement our income and can’t fund this info out. Lastly, he could qualify to collect 1/2 of mine letting his grow as he was born in 1953. But, again, would his be reduced when he finally takes his?

Ok, if you read through that and aren’t confused and know the answer, I’d love to hear it!

Why don't you simply sit down with a good CPA for this advice. ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement