Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:56 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,096 times

Advertisements

I don't know how teachers do it. My grandmother used to work for the schools as an attendant for the smaller kids and made sure they were in class and orderly at lunch time etc. With each generation the kids got worse and worse and when I was about 12 the 6 year olds were 10x worse than my generation. She eventually quit and went to work at the post office part-time until retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 10:00 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
The line that jumped out to me in this post was "I drink too much"

Alcohol is a depressant and its tentacles can really pull you down, cloud your perceptions, and can harm every aspect of your life.

Have you tried eliminating it for any period of time?
People always isolate alcoholism and say

AH-HA! There's the problem!

Wrong.

I come from a long line of alcoholics and when I examine their lives, alcohol was the lowest offender on the long list of complications their life had.

I once went to a therapist when I was having a hard time dealing with a dysfunctional work environment. She tried to make the whole thing about my Father and alcohol consumption. When I changed jobs my alcohol intake went down to normal and I've never had any problems with my Father. My Father has also decreased his stress and drinking after separation with his ex-Wife (my step mother).

Alcohol is not the issue. It is a symptom of life. Correct the life issue and the alcohol goes away. Period.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:15 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
If you have the funds, stop what you are doing ASAP.

If you don’t own your house, move some place else....or not if you really like your place and town.

If you can, get on a sub list for a school district in a “bubble” area.

My friend was going through the same stuff with her corporate job. She moved to a smallish town (Midlothian, TX) and took SS early retirement benefits and substitutes at an elementary school. She’s totally happy.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:14 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Get out of bed; open your eyes; do whatever is right in front of you.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:31 AM

588 posts, read 462,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
People always isolate alcoholism and say

AH-HA! There's the problem!

Wrong.

I come from a long line of alcoholics and when I examine their lives, alcohol was the lowest offender on the long list of complications their life had.

I once went to a therapist when I was having a hard time dealing with a dysfunctional work environment. She tried to make the whole thing about my Father and alcohol consumption. When I changed jobs my alcohol intake went down to normal and I've never had any problems with my Father. My Father has also decreased his stress and drinking after separation with his ex-Wife (my step mother).

Alcohol is not the issue. It is a symptom of life. Correct the life issue and the alcohol goes away. Period.
Yes,

I have seen people using alcohol as the grand problem. Stop drinking and miraculously all the problems go away.

Which is very far from the truth. Yes, I believe it is a symptom of a life problem. Not the other way around.

I have an old boyfriend that had several DUIs and rehabs. He still drinks and drives and being a multi millionaire he can pay for a ride at any time. Next one he gets it goes to felony conviction. But he still drinks and drives. Go figure. I tried to explain this to him but he still did it.....obviously we are not together anymore. Our value systems were on polar opposites.

Mechaman.......that was very insightful. Thank you.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:09 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
We can call it "inner-city," or we can call it "ghetto," or we can wrap it up in a "lower socio-economic" package. I, for one, know exactly how you feel. It's not for everyone. I had 4 years in on a part-time basis back in the early 2000's. Things have changed drastically in a decade. So many of those unfortunate kids have morphed into something almost unrecognizable: the rage is palpable, the attitudes are monumentally hostile, and things will most likely not improve.

GOOD FOR YOU in knowing when it's time to move on. Take a breather. Collect SS early, if you'd like. Look for something to make you happy. Wishing you the best.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:26 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Oh pulleeeze! Laying the cards on the table offends snowflakes and those whose business it is to be offended, the Jessie Jacksons or Hillary Clintons of the world who make a good living at it, for instance.
Some people just wake up each morning and look for things to be offended about.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:30 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Time to pull the plug and retire. Once you leave no one will give you a thought.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:12 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would get out of the depressing ghetto. I live in a poor area. It's much easier to be happy when you live in a nice area.
Such true words, and it applies to so many situations!

It is hard not to be depressed when one is living in a depressing environment, and that can lead to so many different kinds of problems.

Living (and working) in an environment that makes me happy is my No. 1 priority when it comes to the "amenities" I value.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:02 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Hair falling out is a big sign that your thyroid meds are insufficient. My hair was falling big time once when I got some bad thyroid. It was not the strength it was purported to be. Once I got a new scrip and got it filled, it took weeks but the hair stopped falling and I pulled out of the brain fog and depression.

You need to see the doc, get your blood tested, go on a long sabbatical, and engage in whatever fills your heart with joy for a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement