Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 04:32 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
What’s a mediocre retirement? You might think ours is but but we are doing exactly what WE want to be doing. Our happiness is not based on other’s opinions about the way we live our lives.
I have no idea about your retirement but the original post was from someone who was clearly not enthused and not expecting a lot of positives. I planned and started my retirement with a completely different outlook. I was enthusiastic and had lots and lots of plans. Many were accomplished, some were not, but the results were close to my highest expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 05:16 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I actually don't anticipate that my retirement will be all that "amazing."
You will not be disappointed.

I hope you enjoy not enjoying your retirement. Now, I must return to the relative obscurity that defines my retirement existence--and yes, I am basking in the anonymity of it all. I long for nothing in my past--it's gone.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
It is not an “ease into it quietly experience “if you are in a high stress negative environment job -which are often the ones that pay well-
And often they will try to trip you on the way out so they can fire you and cut a check for your vested portion and save millions
For those of us that have walked the walk -the day after is like turning off niagra falls
The silence is deafening

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 04-21-2018 at 06:19 PM..

Old 04-21-2018, 05:36 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
"You will absolutely love it!!!" because it's overkill. Can't anyone just ease into it quietly anymore?
What would you rather have them say? "life sucks and then you die".

So I guess it boils down to what you define amazement as.

Yes, I think it is amazing to be able to get up and not have to go to work. I think it will be amazing to not have to drive in horrible weather in the winter if I don't want to. I think I will absolutely love being able to actually stay up late and watch the entire basketball game to the end without having to tivo it because I have a 4:30 am wake up call and if I do that now, I'll feel horrible in the morning.

I think I will love being able to do a few things extra and not pick and choose because I only get a few weeks vacation time.

so I can't agree with you, I do think I will absolutely love being retired. will it be all sunshine 24/7, no. but that's not my life right now.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:11 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
So what does "Amazing" mean in this context?

"The day after I retired, I grew a second head! Now it's my best friend!"

or

"After I retired I realized I could spend all day in my underwear masturbating!"

???

Old 04-21-2018, 10:58 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
It's all rhetorical. Ever year, they'll tell you to have a happy birthday, too.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:00 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
I'm just approaching mine (later this year) and am already feeling performance anxiety
from those promising that my retirement will be "amazing" because theirs is.
Unless these people (friends?) are writing the checks they aren't promising anything.
If these are salespeople...

Old 04-22-2018, 07:08 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
If I can visit the following from 2022 to 2030

Alamo
Meteor Crater
Slab city
Grand Canyon
Niagara Falls
Grand Tetons
Mt. Rushmore
Carlsbad Caverns

Go gold panning in Idaho, Wyoming, Washington, California and Nevada

I truly will have had an amazing retirement. What pleases me may not plase other. Tough it's my retirement, not theirs.
visiting Slab City would be interesting. The Grand Canyon was amazing. The Alamo - Carlsbad Caverns - disappointing.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:22 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Loved Carlsbad! Alamo, not so much.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:44 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
What's most striking to me in those having an "amazing" retirement is just how miserable they must've been right until the day they retired. Now, I have been in the position of wanting -- even needing -- desperately to get out of a particular job, but in those cases I applied for and got other jobs. I can't imagine spending 20-30 years dreading getting up every morning and suffering every day of my life until I retired, at which point I considered my "real life" to begin. It shouldn't be that sharp a deliniation. And, yes, I actually know people RVing across the country and blogging about it and climbing Mount Everest and posting videos of it. Maybe I just know a lot of overachievers. I often hear, "I can't wait to see what you do with YOUR retirement!" I may give up social media; that'd be "amazing"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement