Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you primarily use for full body bathing?
shower 27 67.50%
bucket, sink, faucet, stream, lake or similar 2 5.00%
bathtub 8 20.00%
bathtub with transfer bench 2 5.00%
walk in bathtub for seniors / disabled 1 2.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 11:55 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times

Advertisements

when we moved to our home, we took out the worn fiberglass tub in the guest bath, put in a five foot shower pan and tiled the surround, making it into a step in shower. It wasn't particularly difficult says my husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 03:09 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Moen transfer bench - available at Walmart.com, Amazon.com, and bedbathandbeyond.com. lowest cost at walmart.com

scroll down after clicking on link to see how transfer bench works.

https://www.moen.com/products/Moen_H...r_bench/DN7105

https://www.moen.com/products/Moen_H...r_bench/DN7065

works really well! no need for a conversion. one sits outside the tub and slides over.
These work really well, After my stroke, my PT advised us to get one, as I was unable to get & out of the tub to take a shower. I loved it, it gave me some independence. There is no need for expensive renovations, when you can buy one of these. We have since moved & now I have a walk in shower, but I would not hesitate in recommending a tub transfer bench.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
We discussed her use of a transfer bench when I put in the grab bars, but she rightfully dismissed it as too awkward and dangerous, to which I agree 100 percent, and certainly wouldn't use one myself.

She's also doing step over exercises with the grab bar and elsewhere, which help quite a bit.

As mentioned previously, she needs and wants a walk in shower, either by conversion in her current apartment, which would need to be done by the landlord, or else by moving to a 2 bedroom apartment, which would probably be in a less desirable location / orientation.

Thanks much for the ideas about pursuing this with the various agencies.
You clearly do not understand how the transfer benches work. I used one for years & loved it. I highly doubt her landlord will pay to remodel ( why should he) so she likely will have to move. It would seem sensible to at least try out the transfer bench & see if it is acceptable, before you dismiss it. It would be cheaper than moving.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:55 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
We discussed her use of a transfer bench when I put in the grab bars, but she rightfully dismissed it as too awkward and dangerous, to which I agree 100 percent, and certainly wouldn't use one myself.

She's also doing step over exercises with the grab bar and elsewhere, which help quite a bit.

As mentioned previously, she needs and wants a walk in shower, either by conversion in her current apartment, which would need to be done by the landlord, or else by moving to a 2 bedroom apartment, which would probably be in a less desirable location / orientation.

Thanks much for the ideas about pursuing this with the various agencies.
Seems to me she could look for a 1 bedroom apartment in a different complex (rather than a 2 bedroom unit in current location). Moving costs don't change much if you stay local. Better yet, look for a senior independent living apartment where there will be an ADA compliant shower and grab bars.

Someone who wants to stay put if she can't get the landlord to change the bathroom is being unnecessarily stubborn, IMO. Step-Over Exercises? Let's be real, it won't stop an accident from happening.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:48 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
Do they have any accessible units she can transfer into?

Old 04-23-2018, 06:35 PM

745 posts, read 1,324,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
You clearly do not understand how the transfer benches work. I used one for years & loved it.
You should clearly keep using one then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Step-Over Exercises? Let's be real, it won't stop an accident from happening.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Do they have any accessible units she can transfer into?
Yes, the 2 bedroom units have walk in showers, but none of the 1 bedrooms do. She is ready
to move, either in the same complex or elsewhere, but her current apartment has a good location.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
So what will you do if the landlord refuses to give you permission to alter his property? Will you move her to another apartment in the complex?

Old 04-23-2018, 07:56 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
You should clearly keep using one then.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Yes, the 2 bedroom units have walk in showers, but none of the 1 bedrooms do. She is ready
to move, either in the same complex or elsewhere, but her current apartment has a good location.
Which begs the question- why not try the transfer bench? She likes the apartment, likes the location, but is unwilling to try something that will likely solve the problem for under $200 ? I worked for an agency that served disabled people for several years and transfer benches and shower chairs were common accommodations we provided because they were the most cost-effective solution to many problems individuals had with falling. They can provide independence to people who want to take a bath alone who might otherwise have balance issues with standing or getting into a tub, and they can also help a caregiver because they put the bather in a more accessible position instead of down in a bathtub where there is more lifting.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 04-24-2018 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: remove rude remark

Old 04-23-2018, 09:29 PM

745 posts, read 1,324,897 times
Default the dead horse rides again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
So what will you do if the landlord refuses to give you permission to alter his property? Will you move her to another apartment in the complex?
I have nothing to do with it and I won't do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
why not try the transfer bench?
Read my previous posts. She doesn't need nor want one.

You have no clue about her situation, need to get a grip on yourself and stop being so pushy.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:23 AM

"She doesn't need nor want one."

Wrong, she does not want one, but it would appear, she does need one, if she cannot get in & out of the tub easily, then she does need one. However, many older people seem too stubborn to try out something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement