Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you primarily use for full body bathing?
shower 27 67.50%
bucket, sink, faucet, stream, lake or similar 2 5.00%
bathtub 8 20.00%
bathtub with transfer bench 2 5.00%
walk in bathtub for seniors / disabled 1 2.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 08:42 PM

741 posts, read 1,316,954 times

Advertisements

A senior friend has slipped several times getting in and out of her bathtub.
I installed a grab bar which helps, but she is rightfully concerned about having a bad fall.
She is now in a 1 bedroom apartment, shaded from the heat of the day, in a 200 apartment complex.

The alternatives are to convert the tub to a shower, or move to a two bedroom apartment.
Moving would be a hassle, and cost more money for a less desirable location (sun in hot climate).

Might the owners be persuaded to do a conversion? If so, let me know your ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 09:33 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,254,205 times
Walk in shower. Entrance big enough for a wheelchair. Also ability to put a chair in to sit on. Probably a shower head and a hand held shower head. Pay attention to how easy it is to turn on the hand held shower. Add a couple of grab bars. Would not move.

No idea about the landlord. Explain that falling is a problem and ask if they would do the renovations. If no then say how about if she adds a year to the lease. IF all else fails he does the renovation and she agrees to a seperate (do not increase base rent) monthly charge to repay for the renovations. If you can do the renovations then you need permission and probably a permit from the city she lives in.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,537,035 times
Moen transfer bench - available at Walmart.com, Amazon.com, and bedbathandbeyond.com. lowest cost at walmart.com

scroll down after clicking on link to see how transfer bench works.

https://www.moen.com/products/Moen_H...r_bench/DN7105

https://www.moen.com/products/Moen_H...r_bench/DN7065

works really well! no need for a conversion. one sits outside the tub and slides over.

Last edited by matisse12; 04-21-2018 at 10:39 PM..

Old 04-21-2018, 10:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,326,496 times
Just be sure you ask the building owner first if it’s okay. The reason I bring that up is because I know someone who had grab bars installed in her apartment bathroom without asking permission. When her landlord found out he told her she would have to pay for having them taken out when she moved along with any repairs needed to the walls.

Converting a tub to a walk-in shower is a lot bigger alteration. The building owner has to think of future tenants and as to whether or not an apartment lacking a bathtub would be a dealbreaker for future tenants. An exception would be if it were a senior apartment complex like the in which I live where all the tubs were removed and replaced by large walk-in showers.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,287,828 times
If she is considered disabled, she might be able to ask for a reasonable modification for her disability. She'd have to make the changes on her own dime and might be required to change it back when she moves.

accessiblehousing.org

https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/...ions_mar08.pdf

Old 04-21-2018, 10:51 PM

34,847 posts, read 30,922,246 times
Most likely not. Fiberglass tub inlays are cheap. A true tile shower will run several grand

Old 04-22-2018, 09:50 AM

741 posts, read 1,316,954 times
Thanks much for all the helpful ideas. A fiberglass conversion would be fine, no reason for tile.
The management likes the grab bars, one by the tub, one by the loo, and just said that they'd have to stay.

Perhaps her getting county and state feedback first, then a letter to the complex will be helpful.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:56 AM

34,847 posts, read 30,922,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
Thanks much for all the helpful ideas. A fiberglass conversion would be fine, no reason for tile.
The management likes the grab bars, one by the tub, one by the loo, and just said that they'd have to stay.

Perhaps her getting county and state feedback first, then a letter to the complex will be helpful.
They may end up allowing this on the basis of disability accommodation. Won’t hurt to ask.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:00 AM

10,103 posts, read 19,312,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Moen transfer bench - available at Walmart.com, Amazon.com, and bedbathandbeyond.com. lowest cost at walmart.com

scroll down after clicking on link to see how transfer bench works.

https://www.moen.com/products/Moen_H...r_bench/DN7105

https://www.moen.com/products/Moen_H...r_bench/DN7065

works really well! no need for a conversion. one sits outside the tub and slides over.

I was going to suggest the same thing! Such cost anywhere from $50--$200. We lived in an apartment for three years before buying our house. It only had a tub/shower combo, I've used walk-in showers for years due to multiple joint problems. We got a transfer bench and it worked just fine. Like someone else said, you will also need a hand-held shower hose, they are inexpensive -- under $50 -- and you could probably get the building maintenance man to install it for you if that's a problem. Another tip---insurance might pay for the bench (perhaps also the shower head) if you get a doctor's prescription. Just make sure the doctor writes the prescription BEFORE you purchase the equipment. Its under durable medical equipment.

This would be the most inexpensive, and easiest solution

Old 04-22-2018, 10:14 AM

50,169 posts, read 35,836,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
A senior friend has slipped several times getting in and out of her bathtub.
I installed a grab bar which helps, but she is rightfully concerned about having a bad fall.
She is now in a 1 bedroom apartment, shaded from the heat of the day, in a 200 apartment complex.

The alternatives are to convert the tub to a shower, or move to a two bedroom apartment.
Moving would be a hassle, and cost more money for a less desirable location (sun in hot climate).

Might the owners be persuaded to do a conversion? If so, let me know your ideas.

All she needs is a tub transfer bench, see below. Two of the legs go outside the tub. She sits on it outside tub, and swings her legs over while seated. Add hand held shower and she's good to go. If she has shower doors, they'll need to be replaced with a curtain but that is easy. This is what we recommend for people who have tubs when they are discharged from rehab. There is no reason for her to need to rehab the entire bathroom.

https://smile.amazon.com/Transfer-Ad...er+bench&psc=1

Ha ha I should have read first, I see I am late to the transfer bench party!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement