Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 02:53 PM

813 posts, read 1,130,978 times

Advertisements

I have a Winter/Summer marriage, although I liked it better when it was Fall/Spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 03:18 PM

6,751 posts, read 5,457,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
If your body is failing at age 62 you didn't take care of yourself in spring, summer and fall.
Not necessarily.

I've had medical issues from birth. Although I was full term, I came out like a premie.

They have just gotten worse as I've aged.

Now at 54, I'm facing my 22 surgery, a full knee replacement.

I take 18 prescriptions to keep this poor body running.

I have 25 chronic continuing continuous medical conditions.

The discs in my spine, for instance have been degenerative for about 20 years, something you can't control and is actually agrivated by strenuous exercise. Who know where the compression fractures in my spine came from. Could have been a fall on the ice and snow, could have happened by the routine beatings i received as a child.

I've been prediabetic for about 10 years, and now have type 2. I didn't ask for it, and whike diet, exercise and weight can be controlled by the individual, if you're going to develop it, you're going to, it's also considered hereditary. As are a lot of things that can hit someone anytime.

A personal trainer on tv had had a heart attack, though he was in great shape, exercise regularly and maintained healthy weight by eating healthy. He said it was hereditary, that he had some genetic marker thingy ( something called like "A-1 trilipase phade 2 enzime") that meant he was prone to it, regardless of what he did.

So, no your statement is not exactly correct.

My family has cancer all over it, on both my mother's side, and my father's. My fathers,paternal grandfather died of cancer, likely prostate, my grandfather died of complications from prostate cancer, my father had prostate cancer, I'm having prostate issues, wanna bet I turn up with or not? 4th in direct line of men who had it? My father lost both parents to cancer, his siblings have it or died of it, and my mother's sibling and grand parent died of cancer. Gee, you think I might stand a chance of getting it?

Good luck to those with genetic predispositions or family hereditary illnesses!

Old 04-25-2018, 07:54 PM

8,146 posts, read 6,886,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Hey, you stole that from me! LOL!
ha.. I was going to say the same thing.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:55 PM

765 posts, read 471,439 times
well..... i gotta admit, i hate this growing old thing.... young people dismiss you, no one will hire you, even though you still have half a great brain left.... the thing i hate about aging the most? that i am living a life with no purpose....oh sure, volunteering is OK, but you do not get to be heard, your ideas for doing things a bit better way fall on deaf ears because you are "just" a volunteer. you really do become invisible and are expected to be seen and not heard once again, just like when you were five and wanted to sit with the big people at the real table.

I used to be a compassionate care giver at a hospital, and did the weekly cancer dinners for caretakers, but was "fired" for being too compassionate and involved. I wasn't supposed to help the families, or be relied on to help keep tabs on what was happening with their loved one while they were working or not able to visit...sheesh. People loved me and relied on me to care for their loved one!!!!

I was also volunteering on an organic local farm, which also encourages people with disabilities and mental health problems to participate.... i got to encourage these much younger folks who truly are struggling with awful problems, and are really down on themselves, giving them positive outlooks and new ways to look at their challenges, but the powers that be don't see me as truly making a difference with the kids. I'm told not to get involved, become their friend, even though i sorely need a friend, am just as lonely. I have stopped going to the farm so much, i just want more for myself, more connections, more input.... I want to hug another human being. I need them, it's hard being alone. I recently left Facebook after that whole privacy controversy, had 300 friends from around the world, but still felt so alone. I won't be accepting any friendships on this forum either... it's just too hard to type with arthritis, or try to get to know anyone online, be able to define who is real....and who is just playing games. been used and abused online way too often and because of my good heart, been scammed outta lots of money. so no. no online friends need apply, lol.

I forget who said it, but it went something like this: the greatest tragedy about life is not death, it is living a life without purpose. yup. i agree.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:24 PM

724 posts, read 446,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
A completely flawed generalization, and one I would not preach too loudly.
Yeah flawed generalization which is what the OP did

Old 04-26-2018, 10:02 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,832,532 times
This thread was just for fun. I'm sorry that some of you take it so seriously.

It's Humor people, lighten up

Old 04-26-2018, 10:34 AM

14,890 posts, read 12,049,150 times
All I know is the concept of "being no spring chicken" certainly applies here.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:37 AM

14,890 posts, read 12,049,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post

LOL, guess you have to hand out a "humor app", or maybe a "funny bone app" to download along with such threads.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:12 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,039,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post

Your original post was funny. Several of the replies are equally humorous.

What did you expect? Contemptuous remarks are not going to stand unchallenged.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:37 AM

314 posts, read 237,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I guess my clock is off
I love retirement the last 10 made up for the first 60
Rough childhood
Same here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement