Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 01:23 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Wrong forum.

No, I'm not embarrassed. It's just going to be a lot of work to clean up the mess left behind.

It may not be possible.
Hate to break it to you, but many of us hated BBs have 15 working years left ourselves. I know at 53-55 you think we have one foot in the grave, but many of us are still filling the coffers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 01:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I guess there are lists and then there’s lists. To me a to-do list was always for shopping, chores, names and phone. Things to I needed to do or things I didn’t want to forget. I had never heard of a “bucket list” until the movie came out.

The things I enjoy doing were never listed. To me that would be too rigid. Crossing off activities or entertainment I enjoyed doing just never entered my mind. I never thought I would forget the things I would want to do. That’s what I always thought lists were for, to write things down so you don’t forget. I’m not going to forget I want to take a walk every day or a trip next month. I won’t forget I want to learn to play a new musical instrument, write a short script, maybe travel a bit, take a class or two. All when and if the spirit moves. No timetable and no hurry. No need to write those things down on a list.

Just in case I die before I get to some of the things I would like to do, so what? I won’t be able to regret what I missed doing, I’ll be dead. C’est la vie.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:40 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I agree with Minervah. I have a mental list of things I would like to do, sometimes I change my mind, and sometimes I add stuff.

I don't foresee ever running out of things I want to do. Even when I get older and slow down physically there are still things I would want do even if it is not super exciting to most people, it doesn't have to be, it just has to please me.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-27-2018, 06:54 AM

310 posts, read 202,742 times
My late brother was born in 1948. I was born in 1956. I would kid him that the biggest difference between us as boomers is that he idolized cowboy shows in the '50s while I idolized monster movies in the '60s.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:30 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
What about once the location novelty wears off?
7+ years in Philly and we still marvel at the fact that we walk by Independence Hall on our way to see a movie. I’m pretty sure that will never get old.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:56 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,194,104 times
We’ve never done a bucket list and not really into the whole bucket list idea, although I’m not disparaging it for others. I can certainly see why people need or want to do it. We just do whatever takes our fancy and live life to the fullest and enjoy best we can. Facing cancer a couple of years ago (currently in remission)living in the moment with the gift of life ,being near loved ones, cherishing the hum of bees and the scents of the garden, seeing my granddaughter giggle, feeling the cool silk water as I swim, exploring our new state, creating new artwork are my cherished list. I did realize before my surgery and facing my fears of mortality that I can’t complain, my life has been one amazing adventure and continues to be so.

Edited to add I agree with Minervah.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:32 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Back as high school was ending I had such plans. I was all ready to conquer the world. I was going to be the best history teacher ever was. But as I began seeing reality I saw that there were many unemployed history teachers. It never stopped me reading and studying history, but for myself.

And I discovered this thing called computer programming. I didn't work in it a long time, but I was good at it. But systems were changing and I hadn't been trained in the new one. And the new owner replaced the whole department. But I'm still proud that as a first year programmer I got to do some small system designs and coding and testing and they were even retained.

I've had health problems my adult life. I tried to go back to work. It didn't happen. I knew that despite all the intentions, it just wasn't going to work. But I have discovered other things I do well, even if its hobbies. I make intricate stitchings and crochet anything useful. So long as I can express the art in me, I feel fufilled.

I believe we are reborn, and each life helps define the last one. This one had an issue, a fear which was not of my making. But it does matter that I face it, and though I do not know what it came from, it has faded in many ways, and in some won't. But I've just always known that no matter how secure you feel and how safe, it can crumble, and for this reason, we should appreciate all the good things around us, and the people we love and the creatures we make part of our lives because that is true joy.

I don't know how long live, but in the last few years a peace has settled within me, and I enjoy every day for all the good and the beauty within.

And my little kitties understand and give without asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement