Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:07 AM

757 posts, read 837,110 times

Advertisements

If you are on Medicare even larger cities can be a problem finding a doctor, primary care, to take you. It is the top consideration for me now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 10:49 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,754 times
Oh yes! The availability of good medical care with specialized care is essential for my husband and I, along with reasonably priced housing and taxes, and good public transportation.

And, luckily for us, we have all that!

Old 04-26-2018, 02:20 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
We did not pay it much attention at all.

We settled in the oldest state with the highest percentage of retirees.

Now that we have been here a few years, I have noticed that new hospitals are being built. We have a dedicated joint replacement center near-by, a cancer center [where I am currently receiving radiation treatment] and new hospitals with the DaVinci robotic surgery suite.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:48 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Not much notice.....lucked up with a satellite office of provider a few miles away.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:25 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,050 times
When we retired at ages 50/51, medical care wasn't much of a thought. Now at ages 65/66 we still give it very little thought. We will live where we want and how we want...until we can't.

When it's time to move to that condo next to the hospital, I'm sure there will be a vacancy.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:03 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
I have no sophisticated medical needs and moved to a rural town that is 24 miles from a decent hospital, which I think is a Level One Trauma. I am car dependent, although there does appear to be a senior van to the hospital/cancer center. I have no illusions about being in a medically ideal place and I know I'm getting older but this is where I want to live.

Back up plan is a CCRC near Denver, four hours away, in case of medical needs or some major frailty or something. I just couldn't see staying back East where I felt so stale and finished just because it's so close to great medical care.

I specifically did not choose Medicare Advantage due to lack of providers. I am seeing my new PCP (I hope) next week. I first looked for women doctors and the first two I looked at are not accepting new patients and do not take Medicare. The third is a young woman who accepts and takes new pts., graduated an excellent med school in 2009 so I figured she's probably sharp and not set in old ways.

'sigh' I have lived to see the day where my doctor's name is "Tiffany." At least it's not some form of "Brittany."

Old 04-26-2018, 04:06 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
The original post has to do with people who already have serious medical conditions, not just people who worry or fear they may wind up with serious conditions as they age.
Everyone is giving their opinion on health care access as they age, but the opening post is about a young person with an already existing condition. I am talking about young people who do have necessary special medical care as indicated in the opening post.
ah, I should have read more carefully. Certainly if I had any complex medical needs when I retired, I might have retired earlier and also would have stayed where I was, 30 miles outside Boston. Absolutely.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:14 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The third is a young woman who accepts and takes new pts., graduated an excellent med school in 2009 so I figured she's probably sharp and not set in old ways.
When we had Kaiser, where you can supposedly choose your own doctor, I never had the same PCP twice. They were all young women. Five of them left medicine to start a family. The sixth went back to India.

Not saying this will happen to you. But my next PCP will be either a man or a woman past child-bearing age.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:26 PM

555 posts, read 594,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have no sophisticated medical needs and moved to a rural town that is 24 miles from a decent hospital, which I think is a Level One Trauma. I am car dependent, although there does appear to be a senior van to the hospital/cancer center. I have no illusions about being in a medically ideal place and I know I'm getting older but this is where I want to live.

Back up plan is a CCRC near Denver, four hours away, in case of medical needs or some major frailty or something. I just couldn't see staying back East where I felt so stale and finished just because it's so close to great medical care.

I specifically did not choose Medicare Advantage due to lack of providers. I am seeing my new PCP (I hope) next week. I first looked for women doctors and the first two I looked at are not accepting new patients and do not take Medicare. The third is a young woman who accepts and takes new pts., graduated an excellent med school in 2009 so I figured she's probably sharp and not set in old ways.

'sigh' I have lived to see the day where my doctor's name is "Tiffany." At least it's not some form of "Brittany."
BDL, there are four Level I trauma centers in Colorado: 3 in Denver (I work at one of them ) 1 in Colorado Springs. Montrose is a Level III. Grand Junction has a Level II. Here's the list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...4YWCxY/pubhtml

Old 04-26-2018, 05:43 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,042,372 times
well, I haven't "relocated" for retirement but I prefer to live near the med school affiliated medical center in my area. It is also an NCI Cancer Center, and after seeing the varied cancer treatment my late husband got at different hospitals north and south, I would want all my treatment there if I ever needed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement