U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 01:53 PM

4,823 posts, read 1,841,070 times

Advertisements

Just curious about people (retired people) and problems.

I have had a lot of what I consider to be "serious" problems in my life.

I don't get the idea that most other people have serious problems.

When I think about my plight, I do become grateful when I think it could always be much worse, and that, yes, some people have terrible problems.

It's all a matter of degree, I suppose.

Right now I am worried about a relative and I also fell and hurt my back. I have a lot of other problems, but these are the big ones.

Would you share what your current big problems are (for perspective), or if you don't have big problems, what your secret is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 01:56 PM

11,090 posts, read 12,475,857 times
Oh don't even get me started. It would fill up pages.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:58 PM

4,823 posts, read 1,841,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Oh don't even get me started. It would fill up pages.
Can you just give a hint or two at the big ones?

I think this needs to be discussed, because there is some kind of a stigma against admitting you have problems.

In public, everyone tries to fake it and just says they are "fine," when really, maybe they are not fine.

I think it can help some of us feel not so alone.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:10 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,643,583 times
Biggest problem is fighting the daily pain from a compressed nerve in my back that is causing some mobility issues. Trying to avoid fear due to a nodule on my left lung that could be nothing but coukd be something,won’t know until next ct scan in a few months.

Adjusting to a new state and the desert lifestyle. The heat will be a challenge.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:20 PM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Upcoming city and school elections. I am not running for a place, but a friend is running. She is so stressed out.

I can't believe how rude people can be. I'm stressed out for her. Wish us luck. Election day is 5 May - Cinco de Mayo!!

Old 04-29-2018, 02:23 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,902,218 times
Overmedication.....most of the meds I take are absolutely needed....however, at times, when they are combined, I can enter a zone of my own. Such as doing actions or saying something that is off the wall or outside of my normal behavior.

Of course I am unaware at the time....only later does some action appear in my memory that makes me think..oh no!

I've warned others about this but not sure anyone gets it...recently I took a medication for anxiety prior to some worrisome testing. While the tests were ok, I recall going into one of those zones and while I said nothing inappropriate, don't remember the appt. exactly. Embarrassing.

Yes, I know, tell MD. There's one med I use only for a few months then d/c for a month then resume. It's very powerful so it might be we need to drop it from my regimen.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:27 PM

999 posts, read 386,414 times
Biggest problem? Our vizsla took a cactus to his eye and had surgery on Friday to clean out the remnants. He’s on the mend. Beyond that, I hit 60 today and while I can retire on Tuesday, I’ll keep working until something significant occurs to make it “not fun”.

I got the car of my dreams for my birthday, I did a quick 40 mile bike ride yesterday morning and my wife made my favorite food for my birthday lunch today. My life’s so good, I gotta wear shades.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:28 PM

Ok - i'm probably using the election thing as a distraction.

I have two very ill siblings. I figure this is the last year we will have them around. Our parents are deceased and this will be the first death we will have to face.......

Old 04-29-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Biggest problem? Our vizsla took a cactus to his eye and had surgery on Friday to clean out the remnants. He’s on the mend. Beyond that, I hit 60 today and while I can retire on Tuesday, I’ll keep working until something significant occurs to make it “not fun”.

I got the car if my dreams for my birthday, I did a quick 40 mile bike ride yesterday morning and my wife made my favorite food for my birthday lunch today. My life’s so good, I gotta wear shades.
Happy Birthday!!!

Old 04-29-2018, 02:31 PM

1,137 posts, read 570,383 times
Taking care of a sick friend that we brought home from Germany. He was literally dying in a hospital there. He just got out of two major surgeries here; one for pancreatic cancer, and another to repair something that didin't work in the first surgery. He is now mending very well, and is currently cancer free. Our 'plan' was to be prepping our main house for sale, and finishing our retirement home north of here to be completed by May 1st at the latest. Instead we have become caregivers for someone that had no one in his family with time to care for him.

If all goes well, once he drives away in three weeks, we have 'lotsa catchin' up ta do'...! and our stress really hits the fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement