Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 08:11 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
We don’t watch TV much so I am out of touch, but back a decade or two ago there was a sickening number of people with perfect families. We do ROKU streaming these days-near zero TV shows. Regional news and PBS basic TV for $5 extra with our cable internet plan.

Glad to hear TV has gotten more realistic.
None of the families on the programs shown on streaming or broadcast channels are in any manner ideal. I watch both. PBS has some of the most dysfunctional families on TV so that may be a good example of how TV families are depicted today.

But I have to say I find it kind of odd that you would be comparing only what you watch today on streaming channels to broadcast channels you watched decades ago when what’s offered today didn’t exist and you don’t watch it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 09:07 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I guess it would depend on what your definition of family is. I have zero biological connections, but I have many in my life that I consider family. Some sisters have been in my life for over 40 years and ditto with some brothers. I never had biological children but I have many children and children's children in my life. I'm married to the love of my life and we have our pets. I lost one precious boy last month that has left a huge hole in my life, but there's always room for one more precious one, be it animal or human. We have a new 5 year old in our life that is a constant source of joy. Sometimes I think that what we have is better then the traditional family. You get exactly what you want and can walk away from those that don't fit your needs.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:09 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
It isn't perfect, but after seeing what a lot of other families put themselves through, I'll take my own.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:17 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
I think there are functional and dysfunctional families.

Also: Some families are made up of "difficult" people (mine falls into that category - some are highly sensitive, some have addiction problems, some are hostile, etc. - not a fun group).

In functional families where people are affectionate and supportive - to me, that is the "perfect" family - and I believe there are some of those and I highly envy the people who are lucky enough to be a part of such a group.

Do they "have your back?" Are they "ride or die?" Is it "one for all and all for one?" To me, THAT is family - the groups of hostile people with bad personalities who hate or resent each other - not so much.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:51 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Default Everyone has family challenges

Typically with adult siblings.

People only disclose these issues to their closest friends but our experience is that everyone's family is similarly screwed-up, even those friends who appear to have everything under control.

No need to feel bad about your own family's issues.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:49 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
If I take those sappy, cheerful Christmas letters at face value, it would appear that my niece does.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:13 PM

890 posts, read 882,727 times
Yes. Married 39 years, 3 children, 2 grandchildren so far.
Blessed with children who are smarter than me.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:14 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
As seen on TV or the movies? <>
I'm not in one but I know of several. The common thread is they have been outdoor people, active with the kids for several generations.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:25 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,273 times
My growing up years, my family was far from perfect, but we had each other's backs when necessary. We fought, but when it came down to it, we were there for each other. Our motto was, and still is: One person struggles, we all struggle. One of us wins, we all win.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:19 PM

765 posts, read 473,702 times
the word perfect belongs on the gymnastics floor.

the word family is fatally flawed with commensalism and belongs with other adjectives like infuriating, jumentous, excerebrose, or better yet???? should go exinct like doodle sack or winklepickers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement