Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 11:46 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
We need a compassionate law in the US to let people die in comfort when they wish. Those who wish to do it will have that option. Those who are not in favor of it always have the option not to do it. People wanting to end their sufferings is nobody else's business. It doesn't cost you money. It doesn't infringe on your right. It doesn't inconvenience you. And it's none of your damn business.
People already have the right and ability to end their lives. People do it everyday. The problem is that some people have it set in their mind that there is only one way to die.

Who says there is only one "comfortable" way to end life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 01:27 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Why can't they do it by themselves?
Many reasons.

Some have no access to a firearm or a solid means of killing themselves.
Some are fearful of not being successful.
Some are not physically able to do it.

For those who think it's so easy to just kill yourself perhaps you should try it out and see how easy it is for you to carry this through.

I think it's wonderful that Switzerland has such a place as Exit International. The US needs to catch up with the rest of the civilized nations.

Exit International and Eternal Spirit are advocating for all countries to introduce systems similar to the Swiss one, allowing people to choose to die "in dignity."

"This is a human right, to be able to make an elected decision by a rational adult to take this step," Nitschke said.

Last edited by Matadora; 05-10-2018 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-10-2018, 01:28 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,221,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
People already have the right and ability to end their lives. People do it everyday. The problem is that some people have it set in their mind that there is only one way to die.

Who says there is only one "comfortable" way to end life?
Nobody is saying that. You insist on reading it that way, and that way refuse to address the real debate and topic.

In the US- there is no right to die. There are assisted suicide laws, but with certain conditions attached - and they are limited to a handful of states. Some of us live in the states where hell will freeze over before such legal options are offered. And, without the legal protection - anyone supporting actions for someone committing suicide can be charged for crime - and the selfless Dr. Kevorkian was. These are serious considerations for most ordinary people, often frail, not endowed with your brilliance and sense of omnipotence - read MurphyPl1's post for one such example.

There is no reason in the world for this type of nonsensical laws - but we have a lot of religion and religiously inspired thinking to thank for them.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Nobody is saying that. You insist on reading it that way, and that way refuse to address the real debate and topic.

In the US- there is no right to die. There are assisted suicide laws, but with certain conditions attached - and they are limited to a handful of states. Some of us live in the states where hell will freeze over before such legal options are offered. And, without the legal protection - anyone supporting actions for someone committing suicide can be charged for crime - and the selfless Dr. Kevorkian was. These are serious considerations for most ordinary people, often frail, not endowed with your brilliance and sense of omnipotence - read MurphyPl1's post for one such example.

There is no reason in the world for this type of nonsensical laws - but we have a lot of religion and religiously inspired thinking to thank for them.
No right to die? If I shoot myself in the head, what is the law going to do to me? If I take pills or use gas, what is the law going to do to me? I know what you're saying but it's a moot point on the other side of a bullet to the brain.

I don't support assisted suicide. People can kill themselves on their own. It is rare that someone goes from healthy one day to completely incapacitated the next. There is usually a period of degeneration that will provide time to plan ones demise.

As for people too afraid to kill themselves but want to die...well that doesn't make any sense. That's the ultimate in cowardice.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:04 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,221,686 times
Must be nice to be so full of yourself - telling others what you approve of what what you don't, how they can kill themselves and how they can't, can they have someone assist them or not, and what you consider to be cowardice and what not. Ever wonder what gives you the right when it comes to others you don't even know or care about or the life circumstances they might face?

Last edited by kavm; 05-10-2018 at 04:26 PM..

Old 05-10-2018, 08:37 PM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
My personal desire is to Not live to be 100 or even 90. I don’t want to outlive all of my friends. A good friend of mine, his mom is 93, and all of her friends are dead
A man I worked with said his 91-year-old mother got an alumni newsletter from her high school and discovered that she was the last person alive from her graduating class. He said she got very quiet after she read that.

My mom is 89 and I am actually surprised at how many of her friends are still alive. She also has a living uncle, who is 94, as is his wife.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:13 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
A gunshot to the head is peaceful. The brain will be destroyed before any pain can register.

People manage to kill themselves everyday. I still don't get why people insist on an IV drip. If living bothers you that much, just get it over with. No need to lament about laws.
The only one I see lamenting here is you....every single one of your posts demonstrates this.

You have been lamenting about things that are really none of your business with respect to how others want to die or how others want to see laws changed.

For every successfully completed suicide there are more than 12 unsuccessful attempts...which is why having a system that Switzerland has is very important for those who don't know how to successfully commit suicide or those who according to you are too cowardly to carry out this act.

Quote:
As for people too afraid to kill themselves but want to die...well that doesn't make any sense. That's the ultimate in cowardice.
This clearly shows you have zero understanding of people.

Have you ever felt that you no longer wanted to continue living and then attempted to end your life? If not then you really have nothing but unsubstantiated opinions to offer.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:54 AM

283 posts, read 172,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I should think a scientist would be able to come up with a good plan without having to go to Switzerland, no?

Ha ha ha...
Anyway... it is a terrible new.. I don't like euthanasia's right..

Old 05-11-2018, 03:17 AM

4,861 posts, read 2,672,101 times
he got his wish..

Old 05-11-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
The only one I see lamenting here is you....every single one of your posts demonstrates this.

You have been lamenting about things that are really none of your business with respect to how others want to die or how others want to see laws changed.

For every successfully completed suicide there are more than 12 unsuccessful attempts...which is why having a system that Switzerland has is very important for those who don't know how to successfully commit suicide or those who according to you are too cowardly to carry out this act.

This clearly shows you have zero understanding of people.

Have you ever felt that you no longer wanted to continue living and then attempted to end your life? If not then you really have nothing but unsubstantiated opinions to offer.
How is any of this any more your business than mine? Are those 12 failed attempts of the cry for help variety?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement