Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 11:10 AM

997 posts, read 710,496 times

Advertisements

I just don't see how the majority of the country can be dismissed as flyover country--like the East and West Coasts are so superior. If you like big cities, is Chicago and Denver and Minneapolis consider flyover?--if so, its ridiculous with all the offerings and amenities these cities (and others) have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 11:18 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I just don't see how the majority of the country can be dismissed as flyover country--like the East and West Coasts are so superior. If you like big cities, is Chicago and Denver and Minneapolis consider flyover?--if so, its ridiculous with all the offerings and amenities these cities (and others) have.
Because 'flyover country' doesn't just mean rural or small town, or anything that's not big city. It's typically used to mean anything and everything that is not a part of the two (sometimes three) most populated areas of the country.
Rank Metropolitan Area Population
#1 New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA 20.1 million
#2 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA 13.3 million
#3 Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI 9.5 million

Old 05-02-2018, 11:25 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Flyover country is only the east and west coasts. New York and California both have higher density of population, higher concentration of wealth and with greater economic importance, more cultural resources - top museums, orchestras, operas and ballet companies.

It isn't that Chicago, Denver and Minneapolis are terrible places to live. It only that they do not have as many of the above than NY and CA.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:36 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Listen, it is all what is important to you.

I lived in Boston, NYC and Austin.

I found Boston to be too clannish - so it is off the list. I would never go back.

I loved Austin but I can not live without an ocean or four seasons. When I lived in Austin I really missed the Metropolitan Museum, NY Ballet Company and other events. I don't all the time, but when I do, I really enjoyed it.

However, NY state's taxes are too high for retirement.

It is all about trade offs and what is important to you.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:09 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
The worst part about flyover states would be the winter weather.
Do you mean Arizona, New Mexico, southern Utah, Nevada, etc.?

Old 05-02-2018, 01:37 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
I think the first challenge for someone from NYC metro is acknowledging that you can have a life past the 50 mile limit of the city.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:01 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Good folks are always welcome in Wyoming. You can do things here that you sure can't do in the NYC area. This is the Heartland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICA7YNsQAGo
Wyoming looks like an amazing state, I've been to Cody for Frontier Days. It's still the Wild West out there, as beautiful as Colorado, only cheaper. Good to see ole' Ted still at it.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:02 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Flyover country is only the east and west coasts. New York and California both have higher density of population, higher concentration of wealth and with greater economic importance, more cultural resources - top museums, orchestras, operas and ballet companies.

It isn't that Chicago, Denver and Minneapolis are terrible places to live. It only that they do not have as many of the above than NY and CA.
You really need to say that about New York City and Los Angeles / San Francisco and a few other cities in CA. Neither of those states rank in the top 10 in population density. Maryland and Delaware for example both have higher population densities than NY or CA. Personally, I'm not planning to choose where I live by the amount of operas and ballets that are available locally.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:36 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The problem with living in flyover country is the culture trends towards fishing, hunting, country music festivals, and if you don’t like these you may find yourself bored very quickly. There is not a lot to do. Most people where I live tend to be oblivious to what is happening in the world. I often have felt intellectually stunted living here. Prepare yourself for this if moving here.

While it's not "flyover country", when we moved to a small town in NC after living on Long Island I felt like I was dumped in another country. Now this was a very, very small town, population 5,000 at that time. We had a Piggly Wiggy for groceries and that was it. Going to church, hunting and fishing WERE the things to do in that town. People had terrible grammar and it was quite a culture shock for this former New Yorker. I hated it and couldn't wait to leave. I will say this - most of the people were very kind, much like Mayberry EXCEPT they didn't like Yankees and weren't afraid to let you know it.

Of course not all of the Midwest is like this but it can be a hard adjustment for someone from NYC. I won't even date anybody from small towns in the Midwest but that's a story for another day.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 05-02-2018 at 02:46 PM..

Old 05-02-2018, 02:55 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
The worst part about flyover states would be the winter weather.
And tornados.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement