Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 11:16 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
WOW only $183 per year for the supplement? My mom pays $242 per month for her supplement to plan G. She also has no co-pays or other deductible with her supplement.

Who is your supplement with?
My understanding is that it varies by state. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I hit Medicare age in September but apparently I don't have to enroll yet because we are covered by DH's employer's insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 02:04 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
WOW only $183 per year for the supplement? My mom pays $242 per month for her supplement to plan G. She also has no co-pays or other deductible with her supplement.

I suspect that the $183 per year to which arwenmark was referring is not the cost of her Medicare supplement, but is, instead, the Medicare annual deductible. arwenmark even said that her supplement plan costs $147 per month:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
...I have medicare and a supplemental plan G and all I am responsible for per year is $183.00, no co pays no other deductibles. Medicare part B is 134. a month. Plan G is $147. a month and drug plan is $38 a month.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:38 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
My understanding is that it varies by state. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I hit Medicare age in September but apparently I don't have to enroll yet because we are covered by DH's employer's insurance.
yes states have different prices as well as different perks in supplements .

ny is about 300 a month for an f plan , however we can switch from supplement to advantage plan back again with no medical underwriting . we are also community based as far as rate increases so there are no age based increases .

not only can't the rest of the country with few exceptions switch without medical underwriting but they get increases by age as you get older

Old 05-02-2018, 06:44 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

check into enrolling into Medicare. There are penalties involved if you don't enroll at 65

My other half has to pay a 50% penalty since he didn't enroll until he was 70. He also still has other coverage from his former employer (federal).

He said he asked them but apparently he didn't understand. I think he just didn't want to admit to himself that he was Medicare age -

Old 05-02-2018, 06:51 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,846 times
Mine is 235/month. I have a plan that's no longer offered, plan J I believe. It was the best at the time. Covers pretty much everything. No deductible so I have yet to pay any out of pocket costs despite some pretty expensive stuff (Body MRI $14K, Colonoscopies, CAT Scans etc). It's expensive but works for me. Premiums went up because of sale of property that was income. It'll eventually settle back down after a year or two.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:06 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Also, depending on where you live, some Supplemental plans may not be available before you reach FRA. Not sure about the Advantage plans, since we weren't interested.

In Maryland, for example, I am past FRA and was able to get AARP/UHC plan F, but my wife, who has been disabled(SSDI) for a while could not get that plan because she is under FRA. She had to go with the only comparable Supplemental, TransAmerica. She reaches FRA this August, so we may be able to switch - or not. We will see.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:14 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Go to your SS office. They can tell you what you will get for SS and what you will pay for Medicare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Take a number and wait two hours. Is it near a bus stop? Is there a bus from your town to the SS office?
The wait time varies. I visited three different SS offices, four different times, over the past four months and these were my wait times, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 15 minutes, and 20 minutes.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:16 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
The wait time varies. I visited three different SS offices, four different times, over the past four months and these were my wait times, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 15 minutes, and 20 minutes.
I went with a friend on Good Friday - Friday before Easter. For some reason people think everything shuts down for this and the line and wait wasn't long!

Old 05-02-2018, 07:41 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
The local office here shuts down early one afternoon each week. I think it is Wednesdays. I go late in the morning and it is usually pretty slow then. Wait time is much less.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:03 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Quote:

No I meant that my deductible is $183. per year with the Plan G mine is with AARP/United health care.
the cost of my supplement plan if $147. a month. I am 65 currently it will go up slightly in June when I turn 66.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement