Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:11 AM

9,512 posts, read 16,448,668 times

Advertisements

CVS told me I was overqualified, when I applied for a PT Job. I kept asking them why they had a help wanted sign on the door, but never called me. I told them I wasn't looking for a career, and their lucky anyone applies for a job with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 10:31 AM

898 posts, read 595,139 times
I'm 55. Sent out dozens of resumes through the job boards and directly to corporations. Zero interviews. No way to even follow up on a resume submission these days.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:00 AM

586 posts, read 440,389 times
One of the biggest issues with many people in the 50+ category trying to find a job is that their salary is higher than many employers are willing to pay. We have a friend that was downsized a year and a half ago after the company he was with was purchased by one of the big Silicon Valley companies for their technology. Our friend was fortunate that he received a decent pay out, but he has just landed a job that pays about 25% less than his last position. He is 61.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:37 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,283,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Just accept the fact that some jobs require young people.

Is that fair? Nope. Life is unfair. Get over it.
No - the problem is assuming that all jobs "require" young people. Simply because a higher proportion of younger people may be able to do the work does not automatically preclude older people from successfully doing the job. Discrimination is denying people the opportunity without good reason.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:09 PM

7,154 posts, read 9,256,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
No - the problem is assuming that all jobs "require" young people. Simply because a higher proportion of younger people may be able to do the work does not automatically preclude older people from successfully doing the job. Discrimination is denying people the opportunity without good reason.
As an old white guy, apply for a job as a server at Hooters or Victoria's Secret and see how far you get.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:29 PM

6,419 posts, read 11,571,173 times
The cojones were cut off the age discrimination law long ago: https://www.forbes.com/sites/nextave.../#1c95fe80757e

Old 05-12-2018, 01:56 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,648,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Olive Garden is crap. They serve glorified TV dinners. No one with any self respect would want to work there. If this "Seasons" place is owned by the same company, chances are they are no better.
Yes it's junk food, but the people who work there for slave wages have no control of that. They probably have two other slave wage jobs at two other Darden S**t Holes.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:12 PM

898 posts, read 595,139 times
Quote:

Young people are desired because they are cheap to buy. Employers don't want to hire older people with experience because they just look at the spreadsheets, and not what the experienced person can bring to the company, and that has value.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:42 AM

3,062 posts, read 1,525,677 times
Quote:
Trouble is if you live in an “at will” state, employers dont need a reason to not hire or fire. They can get away with any excuse under the sun.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:50 AM

6,531 posts, read 7,037,142 times
At 58 I was terminated from my employer (Army National Guard) which by the way was my full time job not just weekends. Because of that move of "thank you for your service now get the hell out" I had to give up my FERS job and locating another was a waste of time. All my applications were viewed and passed on. Thankfully I had qualified for and reached MRA (minimum retirement age) and had 30+ years on the job or else I would have been screwed. But hey I don't care now. Two years into retirement and I don't even look back. I am having too much fun now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement