Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 12:47 PM

765 posts, read 473,560 times

Advertisements

all i can say is : THANK GODDESS FOR SUZE ORMAN

DID YOU KNOW THAT: IF YOU WERE MARRIED AT LEAST 10 YEARS, YOU CAN FILE UNDER YOUR EX'S SOCIAL SECURITY, WHILE LETTING YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY SIT THERE AND GROW UNTIL FULL MATURITY?

YES, THIS IS TOTALLY TRUE..... and!!!!! when i went to social security to file for it under my ex, they told me this is totally untrue!!!!!!!!!! are you kidding me you government idiot with the great benefits, retirement, etc etc??? I went back a year later, with documentation of the rule, and got back payments for the time i was denied!!!!!!!

everyone's full retirement date is different according to when you were born, so check it out if you are eligible.... quote right from the social security website:
If You Are Divorced

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if:

You are unmarried;
You are age 62 or older;
Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits; and
The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 12:48 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I've been going back and forth between taking it at 62 , FRA or 70. What I haven't found an answer to is: if I don't take it at 62, does it start going up from there each year whether I'm still working or not? Or does the payment stay the same at 62, 63, 64 and 65 until i retire at 66? In other words, if i stop working at 62 and live off investments, will it still increase every year?
Go to

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/anypia/download.html

and download the 'anypia' calculator. You can input data from you SS statement, and it will accurately calculate what your SS will be based on the number of years worked and historical earnings inputs. If you zero out years (no working years after 62, for instance), it will re-calculate the new benefit. It is easy to add/subtract years and see the impact on your benefit.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:02 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post

DID YOU KNOW THAT: IF YOU WERE MARRIED AT LEAST 10 YEARS, YOU CAN FILE UNDER YOUR EX'S SOCIAL SECURITY, WHILE LETTING YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY SIT THERE AND GROW UNTIL FULL MATURITY?

YES, THIS IS TOTALLY TRUE..... and!!!!! when i went to social security to file for it under my ex, they told me this is totally untrue!!!!!!!!!! are you kidding me you government idiot with the great benefits, retirement, etc etc??? I went back a year later, with documentation of the rule, and got back payments for the time i was denied!!!!!!!

everyone's full retirement date is different according to when you were born, so check it out if you are eligible.... quote right from the social security website:
If You Are Divorced

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if:

You are unmarried;
You are age 62 or older;
Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits; and
The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.
Yes most of us on this forum do know about that. Also if the X spouse dies you are entitled to widows benefit, so the full amount the X was getting in benefits.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:42 PM

106,644 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
As far as I know, you can still file & collect and return 6 months worth as a do over. And I kno you can still suspend anytime after FRA, but all the that does now is add to your Delayed SS credits. No one can file against your suspended SS.
you can apply for up to 6 months retroactive ss . you can pay back within the 1st year

Old 05-08-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post

If You Are Divorced

You are unmarried;
You are age 62 or older;
not so fast there . this is not really correct anymore across the board. . it was changed and only if you were grandfathered in can you let your own grow while filing restricted applicataion on an ex . in fact if you are married and not grandfathered you lost that ability as well .

a divorced person can only file for an ex's and let their own grow if they were 62 or older in 2015. otherwise no , they can get their own and a spousal adder but they can not leave theirs to grow.

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-08-2018 at 02:27 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 02:04 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomaark View Post
Are you happy or regret taking early social security?
If you didn't need it to live on, how did you decide to take it anyway?
Has anyone taken early and then decided to return the money and take it later?
If so how did that work for you?
Appreciate all input.
According to the life expectancy calculators, the payout is about the same if you take SS at 62 or 70. We took ours at 62 and never looked back. We live on the SS plus RMDs that are mostly dividends, our investments have been growing during the eight years of great market performance.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:11 PM

it isn't equal because life expectancy at 65 is far greater today . for a woman there is a 54% chance of seeing 85. for a man it is 47% but for a couple it is a whopping 73% . at age 78 you are a head of 62 as far as payouts . by 85 it is not even close .

Old 05-08-2018, 02:17 PM

989 posts, read 769,172 times
I just calculated this for me. Taking at 65, 66 vs waiting till 70.

If I take it at 65, I would breakeven at 82, well guess what NONE of my family men or women have lived till that age. I actually do better if I take it at 65 vs 66. (At least my math tells me that). I will still most likely be pushing up daisies by 80. So why wait.

Before you mention spousal SS, my DW will get more than 50% of my 70 SS at her FRA so it is a wash there.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:21 PM

keep in my mind you may not live but if your spouse does that is a different scenario to look at .

getting a lower survivor benefit at a time you have to file single can be a hardship .

Old 05-08-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
I just calculated this for me. Taking at 65, 66 vs waiting till 70.

If I take it at 65, I would breakeven at 82, well guess what NONE of my family men or women have lived till that age. I actually do better if I take it at 65 vs 66. (At least my math tells me that). I will still most likely be pushing up daisies by 80. So why wait.

Before you mention spousal SS, my DW will get more than 50% of my 70 SS at her FRA so it is a wash there.
spousal is based on 1/2 your fra amount less her fra amount plus her own payment . is she still over ?

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-08-2018 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement