Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 12:56 PM

23 posts, read 63,133 times

Advertisements

Wow, I haven't checked this great thread since about mid 2008 when I lasted posted a comment. Too bad it hasn't had more entries. There was some good insight posted here.

I retired on 10-19-09 after 32 years in law enforcement in the Bay Area (Ca) and moved to Redding, Ca. I have already noticed some of the changes that were mentioned here, like a lowered stress level and blood pressure (I dropped 12 points and already had a lower than normal BP), former co-workers not staying in contact much etc. One poster mentioned about how exhausting the retirement process can be with all the documents to file etc. It was a very long process for me, but is was completed.

It has been nice so far not dealing with all the work related issues and just having time for us to unwind for
a while, finish planning a retirement vacation somewhere, and begin living the "last third" of our life (I am 57 and DW is 55) the way we want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 01:06 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Stress and BP dropped for me as well. Started exercising more about six months ago - lost 10 lbs, but it has creeped back up again, unfortunately.

I finally fell as if I have "unwound" -

Old 02-21-2010, 01:32 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
I retired 2 1/2 years ago at age 55. However, since then I've done 2 years of volunteering in Africa, then a few months of travel, now doing home remodeling. So it'll be another month or so before I feel properly retired at home. Got lots of hobbies and interests of my own as well as travelling with my dh.

Plenty to do and I certainly don't miss work!

Old 02-21-2010, 03:26 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
I retired 12 years ago at 53, so I am just now 65. I tried the "Active Adult Community " thing but they were too busy with rules and meetings.That sounds too much like work to me. I've moved 4 times seem to have settled in here on the Mexican border of Arizona. Being next to an Army Fort surrounded by young people with a purpose has really helped. No one from my past stays in touch regularly and I'm not worried about that.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:28 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Just re-reading this discussion, as it stretches back over some time. I'm posting from my third-shift job, where there is often plenty of downtime but it ruins your life and health... I note the number of people who refer to retiring in their 50s, or one man who retired at 56 whose wife is seven years younger and will work longer because she wants to... Etc. What do people do for health insurance? Are all these "early" (to me) retirements federal/military/government jobs with paid-for health insurance until age 65?
Thanks.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:29 AM

265 posts, read 873,484 times
This is a response to brightdoglover. My case is just an example probably unique to me. I retired in 1997 at age 55. It was involuntary. Anyway, I had preexisting conditions so couldn't get an individual health policy. However, was fortunate to get into the high risk pool in Illinois just before they closed it. So after running out of COLA, went on that at a high rate of about $7000 per year. Managed to make it to Medicare at 65 , so now am on that for good. Did see a drop in my medical costs when i got onto Medicare. Right now i am doing OK.

Bottom line is that it can be a real struggle for people who retire early without health insurance and preexisting conditions. From experience i can tell you one needs to scrimp and scrape to make the payments. Some unfortunately don't and then really bad things can happen. Kind of the reason for some needed reforms in the system one would think!

Old 02-22-2010, 06:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
? Are all these "early" (to me) retirements federal/military/government jobs with paid-for health insurance until age 65?
Thanks.
Appears so - had to sacrifice a lot to get it. Not sure how people who decided on other career paths are affording the health insurance. It is outrageous - but a good incentive to practice a healthy lifestyle (exercise, nutrition, no smoking, little alcohol).

Old 02-22-2010, 07:07 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
I am a Disabled Vet and a Military retiree to boot so Health Insurance was not a real issue for me. Now I am on Medicare too. Despite my wounds I try to use the gym on Ft Huachuca several times a week.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:41 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
Good origional post. I have been semi retired for years and feel much the same way. I work from time to time for extra money for projects I'm doing or pay off the bills easier. I am still young enough to enjoy the things I consider my pleasures in life.
Hey, it's fun just to take a job to see if it's what I thought it was or just to do something. the very best part is I am not depending on it paying the bills so I can live.
Now I certainly don't have a "I don't care" attitude, I owe more than that to the person/company that gave me the job. I just don't worry about it as much. It's much easier to stay out of the politics of the place or play the games to keep it.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Just re-reading this discussion, as it stretches back over some time. I'm posting from my third-shift job, where there is often plenty of downtime but it ruins your life and health... I note the number of people who refer to retiring in their 50s, or one man who retired at 56 whose wife is seven years younger and will work longer because she wants to... Etc. What do people do for health insurance? Are all these "early" (to me) retirements federal/military/government jobs with paid-for health insurance until age 65?
Thanks.
The "paid for" health insurance is not accurate. We have to pay a portion of the premium but it is the same deal we had while working. Every year our coverage goes down while the costs go up, usually much more than the COLA. So, it is better than most people have since we have coverage but it isn't just paid for. It is a big part of the affordability calculation but it still remains an on-going risk since the actual costs going forward cannot be accurately estimated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement