U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 08:42 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,127,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post

Most people in my line of work, die a year after they retire,
I wonder why that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 10:58 AM

4 posts, read 10,060 times
I'm not retired yet but I know I won't miss working at all. I won't miss the jerks, bullies, idiots, gossipers, complainers, backstabbers, and cowards I have had to deal with at different jobs. I won't miss waking up before dawn and fight traffic for an hour in the morning, paranoid about running late. I won't miss the beige cubicle cell, the lame team building crap, or the meetings held for the sake of having meetings. I won't miss the mind-numbingly boring and repetitive work or the performance reviews, where you are raked over the coals over minutia. I won't miss the fear and anxiety over getting fired or the intimidation from management.

No, I won't miss work at all.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,529 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oysterpearls View Post
I'm not retired yet but I know I won't miss working at all. I won't miss the jerks, bullies, idiots, gossipers, complainers, backstabbers, and cowards I have had to deal with at different jobs. I won't miss waking up before dawn and fight traffic for an hour in the morning, paranoid about running late. I won't miss the beige cubicle cell, the lame team building crap, or the meetings held for the sake of having meetings. I won't miss the mind-numbingly boring and repetitive work or the performance reviews, where you are raked over the coals over minutia. I won't miss the fear and anxiety over getting fired or the intimidation from management.

No, I won't miss work at all.
You will ENJOY retirement, &
Thx for the reminder of why I LUV'd working nightshift for 30+ yrs (only 'axe-murderers and alcoholics work nightshift (so claimed my 'nice' boss, @ each annual performance review 'event')). Those were hilarious to us co-workers would exclaim... "Just show me where to sign, No I'm not reading it, I don't have time for that, let me get back to work!". Poor bosses.... sad j-o-b for them (we (hourly) made 30 - 50% more than the bosses, and we didn't have to write or give performance reviews!)

Night shift: (for me)
  1. No bosses
  2. No stink'n whining day shifters (1 hr overlap was murder (or NEARLY murder )
  3. Paid lunch
  4. 15% more pay (helped me retire 16 yrs early)
  5. No commute traffic saved me 1 hr / day for 30+ yrs
  6. Every "Day" was a day off
  7. Go to college days (completed 5 degree programs fully paid by employer)
  8. Free to do homework @ work as long as machines were running / making money for boss.
  9. Great time to invent for company, no interruptions, enabled several US Patents for me (more money / bonuses!)
  10. Farming during day shift while the sun is out (more $ for retirement)
  11. Beach time during the day
  12. Hunting and fishing during the day
  13. No lines at the grocery or lumberyard during the day
  14. Many volunteer opportunities during day
  15. Parks / scenic areas, museums are empty during week days
  16. Homeschooled my kids for 12 yrs during the day
  17. Built 5 houses during the day (more $ for retirement)

Working day shift is a miserable way to waste 30+ yrs of daylight (unless you are a farmer, logger or UPS driver) and countless hours of commute time away from family!

Just don't go Postal! you want to make it to retirement, rather than incarceration.

And... retirement is GREAT, I can see sunsets and sunrises from my recliner during retirement (tho I am seldom sitting around.! ) hint:.... get a view home for retirement, you finally have time to enjoy it!

Old 10-14-2016, 01:24 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,807,585 times
1. I do miss work in that I worked to help adults and children improve their lives. This is very hard to do now. When you spent your life helping people, its hard to stop.

2. We moved far away so there was no getting together with friends.

3. We decided where to move 4 years before retiring, bought property etc.

4. I'm don't watch TV---never did.

5. I only pay attention to local news.

6. I'm in a hurry sometimes because I have places to go, and don't always get out on time.

7. I love being retired and I know how lucky I am.[/quote]

Old 10-14-2016, 01:30 PM

5,917 posts, read 2,883,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Working day shift is a miserable way to waste 30+ yrs of daylight
I don't get it.

Aren't you instead sleeping during the day, while also missing the opportunity to enjoy evenings with family and friends?

I don't understand how you come out ahead working night shift, everyone I've ever known who did so absolutely hated it because of what it did to the social aspect of their lives.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I don't get it.
...everyone I've ever known who did so absolutely hated it because of what it did to the social aspect of their lives.
yup conventional thinking / schedule leaves LOTS of great 'off-shift' jobs for the rest of us!

When you have a farm, you are up before dawn, + I was caregiving for a disabled parent. (and homeschooling) so being up all day was required. Work has always been 'Extra-curricular / EZ break during the day / night)

Sleep is 'optional' (got a LONG 3 hrs last night), 10 min naps are required 1/day (2 preferred)

I usually worked 4-2am, slept 2:30 - 6AM (when I was young and needed more sleep than I do now). Weekends I did an all night trucking route, but it was usually snowing / icy, so kept me awake.

Dairy Farm boarding school BEGAN at 4:30 AM and ended at 10:30 PM that was the norm 24/7. Life has been SO MUCH easier when I ran away @ age 15 (retirement #1)

Rumor has it, that each hour of sleep you lose, comes off the tail end of life. We'll have to see, but it beats burning daylight when you are young!

Eat ONLY before dawn, and after dark. or on the go / driving. or not at all (occasional fasting can be good for you, if medically stable)

Old 10-14-2016, 02:17 PM

15,201 posts, read 8,504,300 times
It's a great thread...I'm amazed that so many retired in mid-50's or even before! Maybe because of the timing of its start in 2008? Now in the retirement forum all the talk is about at least waiting to collect SS until FRA or later but for many that doesn't necessarily preclude retiring from work before that....

Old 10-14-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It's a great thread...I'm amazed that so many retired in mid-50's or even before! Maybe because of the timing of its start in 2008? Now in the retirement forum all the talk is about at least waiting to collect SS until FRA or later but for many that doesn't necessarily preclude retiring from work before that....
retire* early, retire* often ! 1970, 1989, 1999, 2005,
1) too much fun to do just once
2) Practice makes perfect! (I'm getting better at it, but not yet Perfect!, so will take a few more times)

most of us have far MORE that we need... it is nice to give away MOST and get by very well on what is left (plenty)

*Retirement: ACTION by free choice, NOT go to work / capable of 'self funding' your needs. (each of our 'Needs' vary a LOT, as you see on C-D) That's fine! even preferred! Some need a pension.... some only need (get) a pancake. Many get less, yet 'NEED' nothing . They are my heroes...

Old 10-15-2016, 05:35 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,842,106 times
StealthRabbit is my hero. I agree to retire early and often. But alas I can only retire once so it better be a good one. Woo hoo

Old 10-15-2016, 05:56 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,842,106 times
LauraC I just read this since someone decided to revive an old thread. I am very glad they did. I didn't read the entire thread. I am sure there are some great posts here but I had to at least comment on yours. I am 7 months into my forced retirement and I don't miss work at all. I am as busy now as I have ever been but I do get to take naps in the middle of the day should I need it. I go to bed about the same time and still get up before the crack of dawn. My activities this first year were mainly involving my favorite past time of golf. I played over 80% of the week days this summer. We had a dry summer and my golf course that I became a member of struggled with the lack of water. Still it was a fun course to play on and I did occasionally go golf on other courses. The winter should be interesting as I have a "I need to do list" and a "honey do list" which does have some cross over items (things on both lists). I really think that retirement after going through this forum for us will be quite enjoyable. Since joining here I have gone through a few plans and I think our latest plan is the best and the better option. It leaves us with more money annually and allows us to see things we only got to see in pictures. The plan really could change as things do happen. It is still a ways out for the biggest change in our lives but the next few years will determine a lot in our retirement travels. Thanks for starting this post all those months ago. I plan to read through it and maybe some will revisit this and tell us how they have faired since they posted back in the day.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or