U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 06:42 AM

1,432 posts, read 719,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
yup conventional thinking / schedule leaves LOTS of great 'off-shift' jobs for the rest of us!

When you have a farm, you are up before dawn, + I was caregiving for a disabled parent. (and homeschooling) so being up all day was required. Work has always been 'Extra-curricular / EZ break during the day / night)

Sleep is 'optional' (got a LONG 3 hrs last night), 10 min naps are required 1/day (2 preferred)

I usually worked 4-2am, slept 2:30 - 6AM (when I was young and needed more sleep than I do now). Weekends I did an all night trucking route, but it was usually snowing / icy, so kept me awake.

Dairy Farm boarding school BEGAN at 4:30 AM and ended at 10:30 PM that was the norm 24/7. Life has been SO MUCH easier when I ran away @ age 15 (retirement #1)

Rumor has it, that each hour of sleep you lose, comes off the tail end of life. We'll have to see, but it beats burning daylight when you are young!

Eat ONLY before dawn, and after dark. or on the go / driving. or not at all (occasional fasting can be good for you, if medically stable)
Ummm.....the lifestyle you lived seems kind of nutty to be honest. Who wants to live getting along on 3 hrs sleep and "required" naps? How many want to or can do that?...try that at most jobs and see what happens....or if at home, easier said than done if you have young kids. I can't say I know anyone who religiously gets by on 3 hrs sleep......and any medical study you look for on the subject will tell you it's is very unhealthy and borderline dangerous to consistently live on that little sleep.

You seem to have a very narrow view when you mention 3 sole occupations that are "ok" as being daylight hour jobs..... you leave out many more like landscapers, construction workers, car wash, garbage collectors, diner/coffee shop workers, auto mechanics....the list goes on.

Also, you worked 4 pm - 2 am?......that's more like an evening shift not really "nights" which are normally meant as being 12am - 8am or something close to that. The hardest hours to get through are the ones around 3:30 - 5:30 am as most who have ever worked real night shifts will tell you. I worked many years of nights...First it was 8 hr shifts from 12-8am then later switched to 12 hrs shifts from 6pm to 6am......THOSE are true "night shifts"....bonus with the 12 hr shifts was it was work 4 days then off 4 days so I had time galore when off.....but when working that shift it was pretty much go home, sleep till 2 or 3 pm and back to work in a few hrs.

And your eating advice??.....so, in the summer you're saying eat only before 5 - 530 am and after 9pm or so?? go around 16 hrs with no food?....sounds completely reasonable & healthy, lol.

Needless to say, your advice is really out there & abnormal......maybe the lack of sleep all those years has affected you thinking clearly.

Last edited by luckyram; 10-15-2016 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 08:19 AM

5,917 posts, read 2,883,413 times
Quote:
I usually worked 4-2am, slept 2:30 - 6AM (when I was young and needed more sleep than I do now). Weekends I did an all night trucking route, but it was usually snowing / icy, so kept me awake.
Quote:
Eat ONLY before dawn, and after dark. or on the go / driving. or not at all (occasional fasting can be good for you, if medically stable)
Your lifestyle sounds miserable, something most people would do only out of desperation that you are spinning as some wonderful chosen existence of not enough sleep and skipping meals out of necessity.

I'd much rather work during the day and be able to enjoy my evenings and weekends with friends and family who do the same, while striving to retire as early as possible so my entire schedule is cleared.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,524 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oysterpearls View Post
I'm not retired yet but I know I won't miss working at all. I won't miss the jerks, bullies, idiots, gossipers, complainers, backstabbers, and cowards I have had to deal with at different jobs. I won't miss waking up before dawn and fight traffic ...

No, I won't miss work at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I'd much rather work during the day ...
Oyster was having a rough day, I was in similar circumstances and provided an option that worked well for me.

I would NEVER expect a dayshifter to agree, or understand. BTDT for over 40 yrs., life was GREAT (and work was tolerable) without them

Don't fret, I'm doing great and loved my work, farm, family, and my many retirements.

And I enjoyed the NPR 'weekend' interview today from KUNC; ..farm wife; w/ 2 jobs, raising 3 kids, leading 4 community groups, active in Church, school, and with other community volunteer needs + driving the grain and silage truck in her free time. Not many people understand why we've worked like that our whole lives.

Don't even attempt
It's all we've known, all we need, all we want. Far less than our forefathers had to endure to build and defend this great country.

Don't fret. We R

Ypwv. (Your priorities will certainly vary). Terriffic! Carry on, enjoy your expected retirement.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:44 PM

3,398 posts, read 3,960,584 times
Quote:
I'm not retired yet but I know I won't miss working at all. I won't miss the jerks, bullies, idiots, gossipers, complainers, backstabbers, and cowards I have had to deal with at different jobs. I won't miss waking up before dawn and fight traffic for an hour in the morning, paranoid about running late. I won't miss the beige cubicle cell, the lame team building crap, or the meetings held for the sake of having meetings. I won't miss the mind-numbingly boring and repetitive work or the performance reviews, where you are raked over the coals over minutia. I won't miss the fear and anxiety over getting fired or the intimidation from management.

Did we work at the same place?

Old 10-16-2016, 06:15 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,264,175 times
I thank above all the time for not having a job that even remotely resembles that. I wouldn't stay at one like that, and my first job out of college was the only one that resembled that, and I worked for them for one year (mainly because the first 4 months were not like that) until I found another job. And every successive job move was made in order to improve salary and location. But with ones days always numbered, it still makes an early retirement a goal to enjoy, not just survive. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I never want to have to work at making ends meet or worrying about anything when I retire.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:18 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,418,090 times
I work at a place the runs 24 hours. I've done all the night shifts. Some people thrive with the odd hours because it fits their lifestyle. Working nights, you're free to schedule appointments pretty much whenever you want. You get to ski, golf or whatever with less people and better deals. Night shifts are usually quieter and less demanding with most management and support working days. Some people are just natural night owls.
Having said that, I hated every minute of it. You don't sleep right, don't see family or friends much and are tired when they just got up and ready to go when they are ready for bed. You miss your kids school functions and sports. I'm lucky in that my day is 6:30 to 2:30 so I still have plenty of day left.
To each his own. There are trade offs no matter what shift you work. In 2 years, 3 months and 14 days , I'll be on MY shift.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Don't fret
Quote:
Don't fret. We R
I'm genuinely baffled as to why you think I'm fretting.

Quote:
Ypwv. (Your priorities will certainly vary). Terriffic! Carry on, enjoy your expected retirement.
I'm retired so there is no "expected" about it, and as an added bonus I got this way while being able to sleep for more than 3 hours at a time and eat regular meals.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
You don't sleep right, don't see family or friends much and are tired when they just got up and ready to go when they are ready for bed. You miss your kids school functions and sports.
This is what would be the worst of it for me.

Have a wife, family, and friends that I enjoyed interacting with while I was in career. Friends all meeting for happy hour, having dinner together with wife every night, hanging out on neighbors driveway sipping beers at night, evening basketball league, etc. no way I'd want to be sitting at work when everyone else is doing these things just so the line is smaller at the grocery store the next day at 10:00 am.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:02 PM

162 posts, read 165,573 times
Thanks to the OP and others that have revived this thread. It seems that I'm the exception here in that I love the work that I do. I've been in sales for 30+ years. Two years ago my wife (retired for 14 years) and I moved to a much lower cost area where we intend to live our next chapters and I can work from home (traveling as needed). The most important thing we did - and this applies to making a move to a new community or moving into retirement - is to get involved in the community and other people (not necessarily former co-workers). For me it meant joining the local Rotary club. This has allowed me to meet many new people (retired and working) and also be of service to our community (and the world). For you it can be Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis, Masonry or any other organization. My wife found aqua aerobics, knitting and bridge groups. Get out and be with people who have similar interests as you do. If you try and it doesn't work for you - find another group and try again.
Because I love my work I have a slower transition toward retirement. I have already cut back to four days / week and hope to reduce this to three days / week next year. I'm still very productive for my employer so it has been a win-win so far. I imagine the next step after a couple of years at three days will be full retirement. But I will be fully engaged in the community and will have other active interests well before then. Retirement will not be boring.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:14 PM

147 posts, read 73,266 times
Quote:
I'm not retired yet but I know I won't miss working at all. I won't miss the jerks, bullies, idiots, gossipers, complainers, backstabbers, and cowards I have had to deal with at different jobs. I won't miss waking up before dawn and fight traffic for an hour in the morning, paranoid about running late. I won't miss the beige cubicle cell, the lame team building crap, or the meetings held for the sake of having meetings. I won't miss the mind-numbingly boring and repetitive work or the performance reviews, where you are raked over the coals over minutia. I won't miss the fear and anxiety over getting fired or the intimidation from management.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or