U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 06:36 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,514,371 times

Advertisements

Life is good, getting better each day

Hi, tressa. Everything still going okay for you?

love being retired here in so Cal. Once you are retired for a couple years, you will learn that just wasting time doing absolutely nothing...maybe even for days at a time is cool.

I totally agree , dirk (as a retired teacher). I love doing nothing . Just nothing at all.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 07:53 AM

34,687 posts, read 33,690,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
What a great post.
This is the forum at it's best.
I am still 3 years away, but have already bought the house and have made great connections with neighbors, etc.

I do not think I'll miss work, but in some areas I will. There is just a special commorodarie (bad spelling) at the firehouse, borne of shared experiences that few others see or deal with. Also, guys tend to gauge their self worth on their vocation...I do not think I do, but many guys do, then are "lost" in retirement.

Frank D.
I've read about 5 books on firefighter life and because you cook, eat and sleep together in the house, do things together and have shared experiences, I would think your co-workers are more like family so I think it would be hard to leave that, the same way some people don't want to move away from brothers and sisters.

It's too bad former firefighters can't get together and start their own retirement community. I read somewhere that retired Postal workers have one.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:57 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,538,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

It's too bad former firefighters can't get together and start their own retirement community. I read somewhere that retired Postal workers have one.
Do they all wear bullet proof vests?

Old 09-22-2008, 11:23 AM

1,195 posts, read 4,993,872 times
Default All good

[quote=nancy thereader;5363472]Life is good, getting better each day

Hi, tressa. Everything still going okay for you?

Well good morning Nancy, life is continuing to get better each day. We are currently in Alaska for a couple of weeks and even thou our family is up here we do miss our new life in Nevada and can't wait to get back to our laid back atmosphere we created down there.

We had one of our kids come down last week and he too loved it, we are trying to show our kids that thinking ahead to retirement is the way to plan for it. Him and his wife didn't want to leave but he is many years from retirement, my daughter and grandkids will be down for Christmas this year.

My mother inlaw had hip surgery so my husband is up here taking care of her while I work my two week schedule, one more hitch up here and then I believe I am done for the winter. We will then try to do a little bit of traveling with our cat in the motorhome and experience that as well.

Life is good and getting better each day.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:34 PM

Life is good and getting better each day

I am glad to hear it.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-22-2008, 06:07 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,993,872 times
So how is southern California, didn't you come from back east.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:23 PM

4,322 posts, read 8,263,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
What a great post.
This is the forum at it's best.
I am still 3 years away, but have already bought the house and have made great connections with neighbors, etc.

I do not think I'll miss work, but in some areas I will. There is just a special commorodarie (bad spelling) at the firehouse, borne of shared experiences that few others see or deal with. Also, guys tend to gauge their self worth on their vocation...I do not think I do, but many guys do, then are "lost" in retirement.

Frank D.
My husband is a firefighter and will retire in March of 2012 when he has 30 years. I worry about him missing the closeness that firefighters have because of all the hours they spend with each other. I hope I can make our retirement as exciting. I am taking him to a place far far away from where we currently live...with lots to do and beautiful scenery, so I hope he will adapt and love it like I think he will.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:19 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,925,325 times
Speaking of firefighters, I live in a Jersey shore town where there are a lot of retired Phila. police and firefighters. They all join the local Elks club, which is the social hub on a year-round basis. It's a very close-knit group.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:10 PM

4,322 posts, read 8,263,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Speaking of firefighters, I live in a Jersey shore town where there are a lot of retired Phila. police and firefighters. They all join the local Elks club, which is the social hub on a year-round basis. It's a very close-knit group.
sounds like a fun thing to do. He is just used to people coming up to him when he is wearing his t-shirt with the city name and asking him..."do you know so and so" I think he will miss that.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:03 PM

Not sure I'd want to live in a retirement community with all teachers, though. Would you?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or