Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 06:48 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Now that I have been living in a mixed complex for almost a year, I realize how much the senior building I used to live in affected me. My neighbor across the hall paid far too much attention to my life. I really resented her intrusive manner.

Here, the neighbors who cross my path say a simple hello or talk about my cat, who spends time outside. Those who stop like her & let me know that.

What a difference the right environment makes! I'm so much more comfortable here.
I've never had any desire to live in a senior complex just for the sake of living by people my age. It seems like an isolationist mentality.
I'd want to feel like a regular person, living in my own space and not segregated into a community of old or older people. I want to see young couples and children and people of all ages for that matter on a daily basis.
Personally I don't think it's good for ones mental health to be surrounded only by those aging and complaining about health issues and their social security checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 07:47 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I've never had any desire to live in a senior complex just for the sake of living by people my age. It seems like an isolationist mentality.
I'd want to feel like a regular person, living in my own space and not segregated into a community of old or older people. I want to see young couples and children and people of all ages for that matter on a daily basis.
Personally I don't think it's good for ones mental health to be surrounded only by those aging and complaining about health issues and their social security checks.

Absolutely - variety is the spice of life.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:09 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Quote:
For me, it was because it was a HUD building & they went by income. It was the only building of its kind in the small town of 200 people. I had moved in with family after the car accident & subsequent back surgery & it was the closest place to family when I was ready to be on my own again.

It was a new venture & one I won't be repeating but, at the time, it served its purpose. I wanted to stay by family until I was totally on my feet but needed to move out of my sister's house for both our well being. She kept trying to do things for me & I had to re-learn how to do things by myself.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:23 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
For me, it was because it was a HUD building & they went by income. It was the only building of its kind in the small town of 200 people. I had moved in with family after the car accident & subsequent back surgery & it was the closest place to family when I was ready to be on my own again.

It was a new venture & one I won't be repeating but, at the time, it served its purpose. I wanted to stay by family until I was totally on my feet but needed to move out of my sister's house for both our well being. She kept trying to do things for me & I had to re-learn how to do things by myself.
I forgot to mention, I'm so happy for you that you enjoy Arizona

Old 08-14-2018, 09:24 AM

Thanks. I really enjoy being here. Certainty is a nice change from Minnesota.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
You nailed it. When I decided on Arizona my sister commented she was so glad I was moving because it was obvious my depression, which has really improved with the sunshine, was getting worse all the time. And it was true.

It tickles me now to interact with the children & their parents here. The kids are so sweet & tell me how much they like my cat. Sometimes they stop & chat, when I'm outside, about school or they'll show me something new they've gotten. Quite a difference from my old building.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:08 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
meo92953: Sounds like you picked the perfect spot. I love talking to kids, too, but not much chance here.

Glad you had such a successful move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement