Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 10:19 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

It's not usually physical, but it's nasty.

Bullying doesn't end as we enter our golden years, apparently. The AP has uncovered incidents of cruelty at senior centers and housing complexes that highlight the surprising ways elderly people bully one another. "There's the clique system just like everywhere else," says Betsy Gran, who once ran a senior center in San Francisco.

Seniors Learn Painful Truth About Bullying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 10:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Yep, this is true. I'm in my 3rd low income senior apartment building, and I hope to stay in this one until they haul me off with dementia to assisted living. But, what I've learned is not to socialize where I live. Learned the hard way in the last two places I lived.

The key is to socialize somewhere else, but not in your building. That way, if things are weird at the senior center or where you're volunteering, etc., you can go home to your haven. But, if things go wrong in your building, you no longer have a haven.

Plus, you can end up with people knocking on your door at all hours, you get sucked into the drama, etc. And it's really common for the drama queens and the needy user-types to hang out in the community rooms or be involved with the Bingo games, etc. So, if you go, you will be a new target. They'll be asking for favors, to borrow things, for rides, for favors, they'll be sucking you into drama.

So, just socialize somewhere else. But, don't expect to move into some senior community and have all of your neighbors be self-sufficient, well-adjusted angels.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
4-H taught me it bullying Works in the hen house and at the pig trough too!

Elderly homes can be as bad as jr high, including the violence.

Be careful

Old 05-15-2018, 04:24 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Still very much alive and well in the workplace too. The days of respect for high seniority experienced employees on the cusp of retiring early is long gone.

I had a young Electrical Engineer ask me yesterday what a particular symbol meant on a ladder logic diagram. It was the NEMA symbol for a 'push to test' indicator lamp. What?!? I politely explained it to him, obviously I am not worthless yet.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:41 AM

17,343 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Sadly, bullying is human nature going back tens of thousands of years when the bully was better able to survive by taking other peoples food, clothes and dwellings by force.
Some people just can't control themselves no matter what age they are. If you learned early in life that being a bully got you what you want and made you feel superior, then why change because you're old?

Old 05-15-2018, 05:15 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
That doesn't surprise me at all. Human beings are human beings. Yes you would think by the time we get to be seniors we'd develope a bit of common sense but again humans.....

LOL at my church we have a group of members (remember the one place you would think to be Christian would be in a church) who are shall we say "seat sensitive". they have staked out the front pews for Sunday service. want to see some bullying? sit in one of the seats that the queen Bees usually occupy?

Old 05-15-2018, 05:19 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Another reason I will never live in a "community" of old people. Will stay in my own home in a real neighborhood...a mix of families, singles, couples of all ages.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:30 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Another reason I will never live in a "community" of old people. Will stay in my own home in a real neighborhood...a mix of families, singles, couples of all ages.

there's potential for bullying there too. It's not age-specific.

I too want to stay in my own home in my own neighborhood as long as possible but based just on the bullying factor, I'd rather take on bullies of my own age than teen age or young adult bullies.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:59 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
there's potential for bullying there too. It's not age-specific.

I too want to stay in my own home in my own neighborhood as long as possible but based just on the bullying factor, I'd rather take on bullies of my own age than teen age or young adult bullies.
I don't care for the concept of living in age-segregated communities for a variety of reasons. To each our own!

Old 05-15-2018, 06:03 AM

3,318 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Wow!
I am utterly shocked, to hear that everyone isn't nice all the time.
Maybe it's the food additives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement