Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 08:37 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What's even sadder is an elderly vet screwed out of their life's savings by new-fangled crimes they don't understand like electronic fraud and identity theft. The IT devs aren't trying to confuse grandpa but protect him from other IT-savvy crooks.
While that may be their motivation for the security, there are other ways of doing business than "these modern government resource saving portals and web sites," but the, mostly, comparatively young people who fill the bureaucracies and VA don't understand that there newfanged ideas are as confusing to the old guys as reading a USGS map is to my grandchildren.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 09:12 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I believe the SSA and IRS websites have already been hacked. In any case could someone please help me understand the apparent nonsense regarding passwords?

Why does it help to change passwords every few months or in fact ever?

Why does a password need to be many characters long and include upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols? It seems to me that I only have 3 login attempts and by the 3rd or 4th attempt I can no longer attempt a login. So why is a long, cumbersome password helpful? Passwords and systems are hacked by other means and not be brute force trying tens of millions of possible password possibilities. What am I missing aside from the silly idea that websites want to pretend they are secure?

Seems silly sometimes, especially for websites that do not hold critical data. I'm pretty sure an international crime ring is not going to pull out all the stops to hack my CD account to make posts and make me look rational.

But as an ASP.Net developer, I'll let you in on the secret reason. Almost nobody develops their own authentication code. We just use the framework code provided by Microsoft and usually go with the default configuration.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:22 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Seems silly sometimes, especially for websites that do not hold critical data. I'm pretty sure an international crime ring is not going to pull out all the stops to hack my CD account to make posts and make me look rational.
That is true, and has been brought up before.
Generally in conjunction with why forums, like this one,
don't run SSL or TLS security, even while setting
or changing passwords.

There are, however, a few people who have some reputation
at stake. My reputation in the fields of mathematics, cryptography,
and a few other esoteric fields is worth quite a bit - to me.

Quote:
But as an ASP.Net developer, I'll let you in on the secret reason. Almost nobody develops their own authentication code. We just use the framework code provided by Microsoft and usually go with the default configuration.
I had a feeling most of them were working with some
sort of standard code, since most of them look too much
alike. Seems like someone would put forth an improved
version, since there is so much room for improvement.
(I could make suggestions as to what features to improve)

Old 05-22-2018, 05:00 AM

221 posts, read 192,671 times
Do you have a back-up computer? If you try a different source, even in the same house, logging on via a different device can 'solve' this aggravation.

Tax preparer told me this. Service rep at a bank switched desks and could then access proper account. Perhaps this approach will allow entry while the mystery of lock-out is solved.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:27 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, and therefore it's clear that the above is not what you said before.

See Post #8. She said she didn't mistype the password. You said she mistyped her password. She explained that she didn't mistype her password in Post #38. You replied that you just had to wait 24 hours and then "reset" it.

She didn't have to reset her password when she got in the next time.

Doesn't sound like the same thing.
It was. Not enough time to spend on lengthy posts. The site is extremely “touchy”. That was really my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement