U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this something that you would be interested in?
Yes, it sounds intriguing to me!!! 20 37.04%
No, not something I would like 16 29.63%
I'm not SINGLE, so I shouldn't VOTE:-0 3 5.56%
I want to BANKROLL your entire project! Where do I sign up? 5 9.26%
I'm sorry, I just thought you were giving away REPS here;-0 3 5.56%
What was the question again??? I think I've been on this forum too long:-0 7 12.96%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 04:32 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,141 posts, read 6,019,326 times

Advertisements

Show me your Bank Statement and I'll show you my Business Plan !

Location (undetermined as yet) :
BUT imagine Roloffs Farm outside Portland, OR meets Piggy's Market In Capitola,CA for a general idea of what I hope to have !

Targeted Market :
Built specifically for Singles (male and female) Over 50 that want to interact, continue learning, teach their core competencies and continue giving back either pre-retirement or after retiring .

What I envision it looking like:

~ 1000 sq ft cottage homes with complete wraparound porches
Green Building - stress energy efficient
Community Center for Activities, Classes and Get Togethers
Fitness Center with an Indoor/Outdoor Pool
Walking Trails with a manmade lake for paddle boating
Doggie Park w/an Agility Course
Organic Community Garden

Cottage Businesses on the premises:
(if you know Piggy's Market in Capitola then you will understand what I mean)

Art Gallery; Music; Day Care; Doggie Day Care; Specialty Foods; Holistic Center; Cafe; etc.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:09 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,950,826 times
I LOVE ROLOFF'S farm! The perfect idea! I really enjoy that tv show....they are neat, REAL people. Hey, I am a horticulturist! I know how to grow plants.....count me IN!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:31 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,067 times
Ohhhh, now this sounds intriguing. I'm a life long organic gardener so that trips my trigger!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:58 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,821,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
Show me your Bank Statement and I'll show you my Business Plan !

Location (undetermined as yet) :
BUT imagine Roloffs Farm outside Portland, OR meets Piggy's Market In Capitola,CA for a general idea of what I hope to have !

Targeted Market :
Built specifically for Singles (male and female) Over 50 that want to interact, continue learning, teach their core competencies and continue giving back either pre-retirement or after retiring .

What I envision it looking like:

~ 1000 sq ft cottage homes with complete wraparound porches
Green Building - stress energy efficient
Community Center for Activities, Classes and Get Togethers
Fitness Center with an Indoor/Outdoor Pool
Walking Trails with a manmade lake for paddle boating
Doggie Park w/an Agility Course
Organic Community Garden

Cottage Businesses on the premises:
(if you know Piggy's Market in Capitola then you will understand what I mean)

Art Gallery; Music; Day Care; Doggie Day Care; Specialty Foods; Holistic Center; Cafe; etc.
I like the doggie park!

Old 03-27-2008, 07:00 PM

55,659 posts, read 74,604,692 times
been there done that.
I'm am so through with that.
Free at last.
(at last---- etta james)

Old 03-28-2008, 10:09 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,408,613 times
I liked one of the ideas from the previous thread about buying a hotel (vintage?) ..... maybe in an urban (but nice) area and developing that into a residential building???

I just wonder if being around ALL people "our own age" might not accelerate the aging process instead of enhance it?????

Old 03-29-2008, 12:25 AM

510 posts, read 1,308,869 times
Great start, HDL!
I don't know Roloffs Farm or Miss Piggy's. Do you have any links to them? (guess I could google)...
I'm not quite sure how I'm going to use both of these forums (yours and Wisteria's) I guess as it goes along, this one will become more specific to buyers? Do you want to include a link to the other thread, for new ppl--er, women, i guess--looking for others interested in considering various ideas?

1. LOVE THE POOL!! This would be one of my top desires. The lake too, but could live without it.
2. I, too, am a gardner! Not organic, not even veggies, but I definitely have a green thumb that loves to grow and tend all things.
3. Community area is a must, for gatherings, activities, classes, etc.
4. I like Singles-both men and women, too. I guess I've been enjoying the women on the other thread, and feel like I want that kinship mostly as a foundation... but men would be nice too!! Didn't really think about men being in a similar position in age/lifestyle. Just don't want the 'singles' connotation of 'swinging singles', cuz I'm afraid of what that would attract!

Sailaway, I, too, like that idea, of an old hotel, or something similar. I was browsing property, but I'm not exactly sure how to search for something like this..
And, I assume you're kidding about the same age and the aging process? I think it would bring some of us back to life, instead of living on Internet Forums!

Old 03-29-2008, 12:32 AM

510 posts, read 1,308,869 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...-state-15.html

Here's the link to the thread started by Wisteria. For those not familiar, it's become an active, interesting thread for
women contemplating a change, after kids, career, and other life building activities have quieted down, and other interests and desires are awakening, but not yet identified, or established.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:19 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,408,613 times
Sailaway, I, too, like that idea, of an old hotel, or something similar. I was browsing property, but I'm not exactly sure how to search for something like this..
And, I assume you're kidding about the same age and the aging process? I think it would bring some of us back to life, instead of living on Internet Forums![/quote]

You're right. We would be with peole who know how to speak and interact....and aren't afraid to.

I also saw the "women retiring alone" thread and think we should all join that one too, if we're interested.

And, I don't necessarily think women have to "retire alone" - I think single, divorced whatever mothers with older children (particularly girls) should be considered for this type of life as long as they can afford it, or can make do with "a little job". The famm structure has eroded so badly in this country (another thread?) that I feel there's something there also.....

Old 03-29-2008, 04:40 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,240,303 times
I think this also needs to be in the Silicon Valley area threads! That's where so many startups come from!

We need SEEEEDDDD money! Seed money to grow things -- like this community! Although I know there are already co-housing places in existence....is yours going to be cheaper!???

I love the idea of cottages. I think that is charming. I adore cottages. No big McMansions for me. What about pooling money, along with seed money, and maybe those modular cottage thingies?? I think the hotel idea is good, too. This is now becoming our "think tank!"

And also a space to do small businesses. I like the idea of a business cooperative that is profit-making! I am sure there are many creative women out there who could benefit from working with other creative women! Make a community, and also make a fortune!

By the way -- I love Roloff's! I love that show and family. They are so down-to-earth. And I don't know about Piggy's -- I think I know where you mean, though, that little section of buildings that almost looks like a community, but is little shops and all in the redwoods, off Soquel Frontage Road, near the Aptos shopping center??? Is that right? I know someone who opened a holistic health center there recently. Small world.

Those are my thoughts for the moment. This is a great link-up place, and with a little effort and positive thinking (along with more bucks), this could be a great reality!! Thanks, HDL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement