Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 10:48 AM

252 posts, read 420,019 times

Advertisements

Till I was around 8-9 years old my mom told me she was 13. I believed her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 10:50 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayparis View Post
that the rhythm method works.
lol

Old 05-18-2018, 11:02 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
I thought I'd shared this but Mom told me she never farted. I believed this for a seriously, unreasonably long time, like until I was in my early teens!

Old 05-18-2018, 07:58 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
On the other side of this .... I believed that the man that sired my siblings was also my father. Ancestry.com has put the lie to that. Seems I'm 30% Scandinavian, but no one else in my family is!
I don't remember where, but recently I remember reading an article about how untrustworthy those gene-type testing things can be. Someone had every one of them that she could find, and they often contradicted themselves about her origins.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:01 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
After finishing high school, I came home from signing up for courses (Political Science) at a nearby Junior College. My mother furiously told me that I should have signed up for something useful--like shorthand.
Also, (from my father), I did not need to learn to drive. I was a girl, I would get married, and my husband would drive to the grocery store.
This is sad. I remember being gobsmacked when I realized that most fathers didn't teach their daughters how to use power tools.

What did my mother teach me? Nothing much. She (I'm guessing) assumed my older sisters would teach me. And then railed at me when I didn't know how to do something.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:03 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
"You don't need to go to college." I realized, years after I received my PhD, that I had gotten the degree in part to prove her wrong. LOL

Old 05-19-2018, 07:08 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I don't remember where, but recently I remember reading an article about how untrustworthy those gene-type testing things can be. Someone had every one of them that she could find, and they often contradicted themselves about her origins.
I've always suspected that I was fathered by someone else. I'm going to try "23 and me" also, just to see if they come out the same. Both parents have been dead along time, so no one will be hurt by knowing, but I'm not going to tell anyone in the family anyway.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:52 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
On the other side of this .... I believed that the man that sired my siblings was also my father. Ancestry.com has put the lie to that. Seems I'm 30% Scandinavian, but no one else in my family is!
This is meaningless. The ONLY way to tell if you are "related" to your father or not is to do a DNA test specifically to determine that. You can do it with a sibling to tell if you had the same parents or you can test directly against a sample from your father - though in either case you might have trouble explaining why you want them to spit into a test tube, LOL!

The whole "ancestry" thing is based on looking for genetic markers that are more likely to occur in certain populations. The trouble is, ANYONE could have at least some of these genetic markers without any recent (say in the last 3 or 4 generations) contributions from anyone of the ancestry supposedly represented by said markers.

I mean seriously - Scandinavian markers would be scattered throughout Europe. Because Vikings. Rape and pillage. They got around.

If you REALLY want to determine your parentage, the only way is crossmatching with your siblings and/or parents.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:56 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
This is sad. I remember being gobsmacked when I realized that most fathers didn't teach their daughters how to use power tools.

What did my mother teach me? Nothing much. She (I'm guessing) assumed my older sisters would teach me. And then railed at me when I didn't know how to do something.
My father TRIED to teach me to use his woodworking tools (including his overhead power saw). Because I was interested and the boys were not. Despite not being interested himself, my older brother got seriously jealous that my Dad was teaching me, and went and tattled to my mother, who immediately had a hysterical screaming fit over it. Which put an end to formal lessons from my dad, but didn't stop me tinkering in the basement every chance I got. I actually repaired my older sister's long-broken bicycle, trued the wheels, replaced parts, and got it usable again BY MYSELF (since it required no power tools I didn't get caught). Only to have my mother take the bike away from me and give it to my YOUNGER sister as punishment for having repaired it.

Eventually the bike was returned to me, after my father asked if I'd rather have a new bike or the one I fixed. The new bike went to my younger sister and I got the bike I had fixed for myself.

As for my mother teaching me anything at all - when I turned six, she handed me a cookbook and informed me I was now the family cook. She could do this because of the one thing she HAD taught me - how to read, which she taught me starting age 3. By 5, I was reading Shakespeare.

So really, regardless of all the things she did not teach me or give me, the one thing I DID get from her - the early ability to read - saved my life and made life-after-abuse possible. I didn't have to rely on teachers who thought I was "getting above my nut" to teach me, I could go out and learn things by myself. Such as how to fix a bike, or the history of the Mayans, or entire languages (taught myself Spanish and some Romanian, Italian, and Latin from books and flashcards).

I won't claim that that one thing made up for everything else - but it surely did mitigate it.

Last edited by Pyewackette; 05-19-2018 at 04:05 PM..

Old 05-20-2018, 09:48 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
This is meaningless. The ONLY way to tell if you are "related" to your father or not is to do a DNA test specifically to determine that. You can do it with a sibling to tell if you had the same parents or you can test directly against a sample from your father - though in either case you might have trouble explaining why you want them to spit into a test tube, LOL!

The whole "ancestry" thing is based on looking for genetic markers that are more likely to occur in certain populations. The trouble is, ANYONE could have at least some of these genetic markers without any recent (say in the last 3 or 4 generations) contributions from anyone of the ancestry supposedly represented by said markers.

I mean seriously - Scandinavian markers would be scattered throughout Europe. Because Vikings. Rape and pillage. They got around.

If you REALLY want to determine your parentage, the only way is crossmatching with your siblings and/or parents.
Unfortunately Dad is dead, no way to test. When my brother showed me his results, I got tested without telling him just to see if I'd match up with his national origins. Brother's results showed ...0% Scandinavian. Strangely none of my cousins on my dad side who tested themselves on Ancestry show up on my list of DNA matches at all. No one with our last name, and I don't recognize a single last name amongst those people shown as my likely 1st and 2nd cousins. And I know all my first and second cousins. Dad's side did an extensive family tree years ago, and there's not a Scandinavian last name anywhere on that tree. Makes me say hhhmmmm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement