Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 11:54 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times

Advertisements

When my mother wanted to get rid of me, which was frequently, she'd tell me that one of my aunts wanted me to come stay at their house for a while. The phone call where she asked an aunt to take me was never done in my hearing. I will never know how many times the aunts begged off.

Once she sent me off to camp for two weeks, which was fine with me. I liked camp. What wasn't fine was that she called the camp and arranged for one of the counselors to take me to another aunt's house far from my home -- a few days before I was due to be picked up at the camp. And I was supposed to go on a trip with that aunt to a public campground.

I was 11 or 12 and suffering from undiagnosed depression. The last time I ever saw my uncle he laughed and reminded me of that trip and that they had found me hiding behind a freezer at the camp store. He thought it was funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 12:01 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Men will not buy the cow, if you give them the milk for free! :^)

Old 05-17-2018, 01:42 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,356,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That if you ate the seeds of something, it would end up growing in your stomach.
Similarly, 'If you swallow an apple pip, a tree will grow inside you.'

Old 05-17-2018, 01:48 AM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
My mother would save bacon grease and keep it in a coffee can in the fridge. I guess that was a holdover from World War II rationing. As a little girl I once asked her what the grease was for, and she said "I'm saving it for the [N-words] in [N-word] Town."

Another time Mom drove to school to pick me up along with some of my friends. As we kids started piling into the back seat, someone shouted, "Last one in is a [N-word] baby!" Mom turned around and told us "You shouldn't say that. [N-word] babies are the cutest babies."

Old 05-17-2018, 03:34 AM

24,627 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Some lies are just to painful to write down...
I remember the pain of being forced against my will to go to church every Sunday, for years. Gotta' love childhood religious indoctrination.

Last edited by Rocko20; 05-17-2018 at 03:43 AM..

Old 05-17-2018, 03:40 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Men will not buy the cow, if you give them the milk for free! :^)
Having grown up with dairy cows I can attest that is somewhat true.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:02 AM

3,954 posts, read 2,573,099 times
I don't remember any lies because my mom didn't give us advice. Barely gave any I instructions or talked to us about anything. And for a long time I thought I was alone in this though I have three sisters. My youngest sister, the most socially aware, adjusted of us, admitted the same. Relief it was not me.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:21 AM

Default IT happened in China

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
When I was a kid my mother would never let us ride those coin-operated rides in the supermarkets and similar places. She said she had heard of a kid being killed or losing a leg or something on one of those. I don't know for sure that was a fabrication, but it has subsequently occurred to me that it might have been motivated by her understanding of the burdens of waiting for nine kids to do one of those rides.
The 11-month-old boy from Fuzhou in Fujian province was killed after he touched an exposed wire on the coin-operated car, the Southern Metropolis News reported.

Chinese toddler electrocuted by coin-operated children

Old 05-17-2018, 04:31 AM

I remembered some things I learned intuitively that were not true.

One was that if you said something, that was it. It's what you meant, no going back. IT was very hard for me to share anything.

Two, there was just one way to live your life. I was hopelessly shy and did not appreciate how my family life was. So I believed I could not have a family. That wasn't true but I didn't know.

I don't have my own family. : -(

I fear it's way too late.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:41 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,353 times
Although this isn't a "lie," it IS a misunderstanding that became legend in our family (at my expense, of course). Clear memory of it, though.

Guess I was about 4 years old when the extended family was gathered for a holiday. Dinner had finished and most were sitting in the living room (probably with coffee, Frangelica, or Amaretto - or a combination), and I was belly-down in the center, watching something on television. Out from the kitchen comes Mom with one of her LOUD, dire warnings torpedoed at me: "Get UP off of that Floor!!!! There's a huge DRAFT coming in under the door!!!"

Have you guessed? I thought she said, "There's a huge GIRAFFE coming in under the door!" WELL... I can remember bolting upright in defiance of gravity and charging up the stairway to my room like a "bat outta hell," screaming bloody murder!! The hilarity which ensued downstairs prevented me from rejoining the party since I was so mortified, regardless of everyone's pleas (which were, of course, tinged with sympathetic, choking laughter, so THAT helped ).

Yeah...I had to put up with a decade or so of visiting relatives who could not enter the house in my presence without checking the cracks of the door for huge giraffes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement