Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 08:08 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I knew a few people who worked at Walmart while they were in college. Not sure of the how's why's and what have you though. That said a good number of Walmart workers are dolts who could mess up a PB&J sandwich. I'm sorry to the good workers but I always seem to run into the dumb ones.

Yes, we do have our share of "dolts" as does every business. I find it disheartening and depressing that Walmart workers seem to catch the majority of dissing and I think it's mostly false. I'm sorry that you always get the "dumb ones".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
The federal poverty level is very low. Once someone starts receiving SS, even a very small amount of $600 SS per month, that will LIKELY put the majority of people out of 80% of the entitlements available like Food Stamps. Added to their p/t jobs... it tips the scales.

They'd need to stop working. Subsidized housing.... they are more likely to be able to keep that. And what is known as their obamaphone. The income limit is higher for those.

My SS is a little over $600 month but rest assured you will NEVER pay a penny for me in subsidies. I'll be working till the day I die, and I've accepted that, but better that than be looked upon as a piker, begger, food stamp/health insurance 'taker', right??

Old 06-02-2018, 08:41 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Some of them are already in college and they work at WM every summer. Three just graduated from college with their Bachelors and one Masters. We also have half a dozen who just graduated and will be starting college this fall. Our high school has a high percentage of graduates and is a good school. The kids who are starting college this fall started at WM last Oct. as 'seasonals' but they are ALL really good at what they do. I trained most of them and can vouch for them. Smart kids!

You might be really surprised at how many of us older workers are also college graduates. Years ago, maybe, but we've been through the schools and the jobs over the years. We aren't exactly dummies. lol
Yes, my comment was in the context of the college tuition program, which would be more attractive to those without degrees. Especially older workers

Old 06-02-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yes, my comment was in the context of the college tuition program, which would be more attractive to those without degrees. Especially older workers

We do have some "older workers"...mostly late 20s early 30s...who are also taking advantage of WM's help with college. Some started out at our local community college and are headed to a four year school soon, or already there. They are the ones going into nursing, dental hygiene, CPA's, business management and two into law enforcement. Not exactly the biggest most high paying jobs, etc. but they ARE doing something for themselves to make their lives better.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:45 PM

371 posts, read 287,648 times
Quote:
My SS is a little over $600 month but rest assured you will NEVER pay a penny for me in subsidies. I'll be working till the day I die, and I've accepted that, but better that than be looked upon as a piker, begger, food stamp/health insurance 'taker', right??
These are offered for a reason, don't be too proud not to accept them.
If you can work just part time and get by, that's great. It's probably better for your health anyway depending upon what you do.
I'll be working p/t until I die too. Maybe out of necessity, maybe not. We'll see how the cards fall.

If I qualify for assistance with health insurance and cannot work, no doubt I'd take the assistant No guilt here whatsoever

Old 06-02-2018, 09:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Yes, we do have our share of "dolts" as does every business. I find it disheartening and depressing that Walmart workers seem to catch the majority of dissing and I think it's mostly false. I'm sorry that you always get the "dumb ones".
I get them all over but Walmart seems to get the fast food workers out of any retail chain I've noticed. As I've said, I know there are great employees but out of retail stores, I haven't had as many issues (which I've posted about on C-D from time to time) as I do with Walmart. I can't tell you how many dolts I've had over the past few years because it would be at least in the 50's if I kept count. Many were with the ad-match which luckily was ended because most didn't read them. I once had to fight with the cashier over getting the Flash DVD and Pitch Perfect movies because they couldn't read the fine print that DVD versions were at a different price than the Blu-ray shown. Then another was over Black Friday doorbusters when the ads last from Thursday night to Saturday at 11:59pm. The manager overrides it because they knew it and the cashier was pissy about it.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:58 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
I get them all over but Walmart seems to get the fast food workers out of any retail chain I've noticed. As I've said, I know there are great employees but out of retail stores, I haven't had as many issues (which I've posted about on C-D from time to time) as I do with Walmart. I can't tell you how many dolts I've had over the past few years because it would be at least in the 50's if I kept count. Many were with the ad-match which luckily was ended because most didn't read them. I once had to fight with the cashier over getting the Flash DVD and Pitch Perfect movies because they couldn't read the fine print that DVD versions were at a different price than the Blu-ray shown. Then another was over Black Friday doorbusters when the ads last from Thursday night to Saturday at 11:59pm. The manager overrides it because they knew it and the cashier was pissy about it.
Walmart operates at the bargain basement price level. A lack of customer service is to be expected.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Walmart operates at the bargain basement price level. A lack of customer service is to be expected.
Yes but the lack of service comes to a point though. Having total idiots as cashiers who can't read adverts is a problem because that is basic reading skill and something simple reading glasses could fix if the font is too small. If Walmart sells them for $10, they c a n get it for a bout $7.50 that isn't even an hour's work in AZ today.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:03 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Yes but the lack of service comes to a point though. Having total idiots as cashiers who can't read adverts is a problem because that is basic reading skill and something simple reading glasses could fix if the font is too small. If Walmart sells them for $10, they c a n get it for a bout $7.50 that isn't even an hour's work in AZ today.
To be honest, how much customer service is needed at Walmart? I get that the service sucks, but I can't remember the last time I needed it unless it was something that a customer couldn't physically do, like getting an item out from behind a locked case.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
These are offered for a reason, don't be too proud not to accept them.
If you can work just part time and get by, that's great. It's probably better for your health anyway depending upon what you do.
I'll be working p/t until I die too. Maybe out of necessity, maybe not. We'll see how the cards fall.

If I qualify for assistance with health insurance and cannot work, no doubt I'd take the assistant No guilt here whatsoever

It has nothing to do with pride. I simply don't need them and hope I never do. If I do I know they are there. I can afford to work part time but would rather put more into savings so will stay with full time. I wouldn't personally feel "guilty" about having assistance but, as you know, there are tons of people who act like people who do are just jerks and lowlifes. Would rather not be judged that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement